New Website to Critique

Discussion in 'HTML' started by javawizard, Jan 15, 2009.

  1. javawizard

    javawizard Guest

    I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
    Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com . Would you be willing
    to check it out and send me any critiques you may have?
    Thanks,
    - Jeff
    www.grandsolver.com
     
    javawizard, Jan 15, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On 2009-01-15, javawizard wrote:
    > I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
    > Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com . Would you be willing
    > to check it out and send me any critiques you may have?


    The text is running out of the box at the right:
    <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/testing/grandsolver.jpg>

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
    ===================================================================
    Author:
    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)
     
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jan 15, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:07:16 -0800 (PST), javawizard
    <> wrote:

    >I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
    >Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com . Would you be willing
    >to check it out and send me any critiques you may have?



    Very difficult to explain .....
    - so many dark pictures on a so long page nearly empty
    - no menu
    - 3 choices repeated once
    - after choicing one page - the only way to get back is the "back" key
    - could you remove the left part ? really not needed.
     
    Raymond Schmit, Jan 15, 2009
    #3
  4. javawizard

    Bergamot Guest

    Bergamot, Jan 15, 2009
    #4
  5. javawizard wrote:

    > I've put together an interesting little website


    ...several years ago...

    > called The Grand Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com . Would
    > you be willing to check it out and send me any critiques you may
    > have?
    > Thanks,
    > - Jeff
    > www.grandsolver.com


    <frame src="http://www.odd-info.com/grand" frameborder="0" />

    Same domain you've been posting for years. I don't see any improvement
    in your style. Same old markup. Just a new domain name stealthed in
    frames. You're still using FrontPlague 4.0 and a mess of google ads.

    <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html.critique/browse_thread/thread/6d3a29bf631e461?q=%22odd-info.com%22>
    <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/browse_thread/thread/12ec6775e207202f?q=%22odd-info.com%22>

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Windows
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 15, 2009
    #5
  6. javawizard

    asdf Guest

    "andrew" <> wrote in message
    news:-corner.org...
    > On 2009-01-15, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular incident
    >> involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans, hot dogs, pizza
    >> ... need I say more?

    >
    > Your post has stimulated me to revive an old page of mine:
    >
    > Rough Justice in the HTML Newsgroups
    > http://www.andrews-corner.org/rough_justice.html
    >
    > and of course your post has been added:). Anybody remember the infamous
    > 'pig's vomit' comment?
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > --
    > echo '' | \
    > tr 'A-M N-Z a-m n-z' 'N-Z A-M n-z a-m'


    man... u got waaaaaay to much time on your hands :)
     
    asdf, Jan 15, 2009
    #6
  7. Neredbojias wrote:

    > On 14 Jan 2009, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> javawizard wrote:
    >>> I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
    >>> Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com . Would you be willing to
    >>> check it out and send me any critiques you may have? Thanks,
    >>> - Jeff
    >>> www.grandsolver.com

    >>
    >> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular incident
    >> involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans, hot dogs, pizza
    >> ... need I say more?

    >
    > No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me. Hopefully,
    > old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.


    Ya old fart.

    :)


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups -
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 15, 2009
    #7
  8. javawizard

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 15 Jan 2009, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >>>> www.grandsolver.com
    >>> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular
    >>> incident involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans,
    >>> hot dogs, pizza ... need I say more?

    >>
    >> No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me.
    >> Hopefully, old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.

    >
    > It has. I never mix hot dogs, baked beans and pizza anymore unless
    > separated by at least 24 hours.


    Huh? The point was that pot goes with scotch, not bourbon...

    :)

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    The road to Heaven is paved with bad intentions.
     
    Neredbojias, Jan 16, 2009
    #8
  9. javawizard

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 15 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >>> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular
    >>> incident involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans,
    >>> hot dogs, pizza ... need I say more?

    >>
    >> No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me.
    >> Hopefully, old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.

    >
    > Ya old fart.
    >
    >:)


    Ya know, the older a fart gets, the more it dissipates until eventually
    it becomes so tenuous that it can no longer logically be considered a
    fart at all. Ergo, when I stop stinking, I'm dead though I may be "one
    with the universe".

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    The road to Heaven is paved with bad intentions.
     
    Neredbojias, Jan 16, 2009
    #9
  10. Neredbojias wrote:

    > On 15 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >>>> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular incident
    >>>> involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans, hot dogs,
    >>>> pizza ... need I say more?
    >>>
    >>> No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me. Hopefully,
    >>> old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.

    >>
    >> Ya old fart.
    >>
    >>:)

    >
    > Ya know, the older a fart gets, the more it dissipates until eventually it
    > becomes so tenuous that it can no longer logically be considered a fart at
    > all. Ergo, when I stop stinking, I'm dead though I may be "one with the
    > universe".


    As the zen master said to the hot dog vendor, "Make me one with everything."


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups -
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 19, 2009
    #10
  11. Neredbojias wrote:

    > On 15 Jan 2009, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >>>>> www.grandsolver.com
    >>>> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular incident
    >>>> involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans, hot dogs,
    >>>> pizza ... need I say more?
    >>>
    >>> No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me. Hopefully,
    >>> old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.

    >>
    >> It has. I never mix hot dogs, baked beans and pizza anymore unless
    >> separated by at least 24 hours.

    >
    > Huh? The point was that pot goes with scotch, not bourbon...
    >
    > :)


    They are both relabeled paint thinner. Now, where are the Doritos?


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups -
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 19, 2009
    #11
  12. javawizard

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 19 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >>>>> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular
    >>>>> incident involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans,
    >>>>> hot dogs, pizza ... need I say more?
    >>>>
    >>>> No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me.
    >>>> Hopefully, old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.
    >>>
    >>> It has. I never mix hot dogs, baked beans and pizza anymore unless
    >>> separated by at least 24 hours.

    >>
    >> Huh? The point was that pot goes with scotch, not bourbon...
    >>
    >> :)

    >
    > They are both relabeled paint thinner. Now, where are the Doritos?


    What are you, a sloe gin man? -Er, fish. As for Doritos, I used to
    like them but the last few times I bought them they tasted like
    flounder feces. Been goin' with white cheddar popcorn lately, and it's
    healthier, too.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    The road to Heaven is paved with bad intentions.
     
    Neredbojias, Jan 19, 2009
    #12
  13. javawizard

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 19 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >>> Ya old fart.
    >>>
    >>>:)

    >>
    >> Ya know, the older a fart gets, the more it dissipates until
    >> eventually it becomes so tenuous that it can no longer logically be
    >> considered a fart at all. Ergo, when I stop stinking, I'm dead
    >> though I may be "one with the universe".

    >
    > As the zen master said to the hot dog vendor, "Make me one with
    > everything."


    <grin />

    I had a psychedelic friend once who was a hot dog until he finally got
    off his buns and went to hamburger college.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    The road to Heaven is paved with bad intentions.
     
    Neredbojias, Jan 19, 2009
    #13
  14. Neredbojias wrote:

    > On 19 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >>>>>> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular incident
    >>>>>> involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans, hot dogs,
    >>>>>> pizza ... need I say more?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me.
    >>>>> Hopefully, old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.
    >>>>
    >>>> It has. I never mix hot dogs, baked beans and pizza anymore unless
    >>>> separated by at least 24 hours.
    >>>
    >>> Huh? The point was that pot goes with scotch, not bourbon...
    >>>
    >>> :)

    >>
    >> They are both relabeled paint thinner. Now, where are the Doritos?

    >
    > What are you, a sloe gin man? -Er, fish. As for Doritos, I used to like
    > them but the last few times I bought them they tasted like flounder feces.
    > Been goin' with white cheddar popcorn lately, and it's healthier, too.


    All I ever keep around here is gin and vodka and the stuff it takes to
    make gin-of-vodka tonics and bloody marys.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups -
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 19, 2009
    #14
  15. javawizard

    Nicole Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:

    > On 15 Jan 2009, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    > >>>> www.grandsolver.com



    as I cannot make visible the original posting, I hope the link is correct.
    I was at the site and I clicked 3 links at suddden, because I thought "how interesting"!

    I love the site in its puritiy and I love the well chosen images.

    What you can improve: Make it more harmonic.
    The images shall be of the same size, standing in one row.
    The headlines shall have about the same length to be in harmony.

    e.g.these 3 healines.
    The Inspirator

    or

    Math
    (Numerical Conversions)

    or

    500 Ways To Do The Things You Do
    Easier, Faster, Better

    ... they shall look more the same in style and length.


    I know, you searched for your images hard and they have the size they have. Never the less I would advise you for looking and cutting on. They shall fit to each other. ;-)


    Nicole
     
    Nicole, Jan 20, 2009
    #15
  16. javawizard

    Adrian Guest

    "javawizard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
    > Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com . Would you be willing
    > to check it out and send me any critiques you may have?
    > Thanks,
    > - Jeff
    > www.grandsolver.com

    *******************************************************
    Well, it is all a matter of taste, about which everyone will have a
    different opinion. IMO a quick improvement would be to change the font type,
    maybe to Verdana. Chosing colors is difficult, however, I don't think the
    dark blue is a success. There are currently active posts about colours
    wihich contain many excellent references.

    Adrian.
     
    Adrian, Jan 20, 2009
    #16
  17. Adrian wrote:

    > "javawizard" <> wrote:
    >> I've put together an interesting little website

    >
    > Well, it is all a matter of taste, about which everyone will have a
    > different opinion. IMO a quick improvement would be to change the
    > font type, maybe to Verdana.


    If you examine his Last Century markup, you'll discover he doesn't
    assign any font families at all. What you are seeing is your browser's
    default font.

    He doesn't use CSS at all.

    Regarding Verdana, there are reasons not to use that. (It doesn't exist
    on my computer, for example - not a Windows PC.)
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Windows
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 20, 2009
    #17
  18. Adrian wrote:

    > "javawizard" <> wrote:
    >> I've put together an interesting little website

    >
    > Well, it is all a matter of taste, about which everyone will have a
    > different opinion. IMO a quick improvement would be to change the
    > font type, maybe to Verdana.


    If you examine his Last Century markup, you'll discover he doesn't
    assign any font families at all. What you are seeing is your browser's
    default font.

    He doesn't use CSS at all.

    Regarding Verdana, there are reasons not to use that. (It doesn't exist
    on my computer, for example - not a Windows PC.)
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Windows
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 20, 2009
    #18
  19. javawizard

    Adrian Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    news:gl4q73$104$...
    > Adrian wrote:
    >
    >> "javawizard" <> wrote:
    >>> I've put together an interesting little website

    >>
    >> Well, it is all a matter of taste, about which everyone will have a
    >> different opinion. IMO a quick improvement would be to change the
    >> font type, maybe to Verdana.

    >
    > If you examine his Last Century markup, you'll discover he doesn't
    > assign any font families at all. What you are seeing is your browser's
    > default font.
    >
    > He doesn't use CSS at all.
    >
    > Regarding Verdana, there are reasons not to use that. (It doesn't exist
    > on my computer, for example - not a Windows PC.)
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

    *******************************************
    Oups, thank you for your remarks about verdana!
    Adrian
     
    Adrian, Jan 20, 2009
    #19
  20. javawizard

    Adrian Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    news:gl4q73$104$...
    > Adrian wrote:
    >
    >> "javawizard" <> wrote:
    >>> I've put together an interesting little website

    >>
    >> Well, it is all a matter of taste, about which everyone will have a
    >> different opinion. IMO a quick improvement would be to change the
    >> font type, maybe to Verdana.

    >
    > If you examine his Last Century markup, you'll discover he doesn't
    > assign any font families at all. What you are seeing is your browser's
    > default font.
    >
    > He doesn't use CSS at all.
    >
    > Regarding Verdana, there are reasons not to use that. (It doesn't exist
    > on my computer, for example - not a Windows PC.)
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

    *******************************************
    Is your advice to use arial, or perhaps universe? I would
    be pleased to know.

    Adrian.
     
    Adrian, Jan 20, 2009
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly

    Astronomy Website Critique

    Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly, Apr 3, 2004, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    1,189
    Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly
    Apr 5, 2004
  2. Familyman
    Replies:
    24
    Views:
    982
    dorayme
    Feb 12, 2006
  3. Richard Thoms
    Replies:
    59
    Views:
    1,433
    Neredbojias
    May 15, 2006
  4. Richard Thoms
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    433
    Richard Thoms
    Jun 3, 2006
  5. javawizard

    Please Critique My New Website

    javawizard, Jan 15, 2007, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    400
Loading...

Share This Page