New Website to Critique

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Adrian said:
Is your advice to use arial, or perhaps universe? I would
be pleased to know.

I normally use the following in my style sheets:

body {
font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 100%;

Bergamot

Adrian said:
Is your advice to use arial, or perhaps universe?

How about font-family:sans-serif;
and let the visitor see their preferred default font?

Any specific font assignment depends on the design, but most times the
generic family is as suitable as any other.

Adrian

Bergamot said:
How about font-family:sans-serif;
and let the visitor see their preferred default font?

Any specific font assignment depends on the design, but most times the
generic family is as suitable as any other.
True, but there aren't many fonts that are very clear on a screen.
When I write software applications verdana is my favourite, but
that doesn't seem to be a good choice vor websites.
Adrian.

Adrian

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
I normally use the following in my style sheets:

body {
font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 100%;
Thanks, in future I will use one of those.
Adrian.

Neredbojias

All I ever keep around here is gin and vodka and the stuff it takes
to make gin-of-vodka tonics and bloody marys.

That's pretty hardcore. Gin is _distilled_; bourbon and scotch are
_crafted_. I don't know what vodka is but wouldn't be surprised if it
were an element of some Bolshevik plot designed to undermine American
capitalism. Perhaps you should have been born a sturgeon...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Adrian said:
Thanks, in future I will use one of those.

Don't use 'one' of them; place the whole line in your stylesheet so
visitors who don't have one will get the next fall-back.

Neredbojias

True, but there aren't many fonts that are very clear on a screen.
When I write software applications verdana is my favourite, but
that doesn't seem to be a good choice vor websites.
Adrian.

Bah, don't be a noodle! Verdana is fine as long as you don't _misuse_
it (i.e. by making it too small, etc.)

I've read many web pages delineating objections to Verdana, and it's
like _anything_ else: the font _can be_ screwed-up if the proper care
isn't taken with its usage.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Neredbojias said:
Bah, don't be a noodle! Verdana is fine as long as you don't
_misuse_ it (i.e. by making it too small, etc.)

Correctamundo. Too many authors choose Verdana, then set the font size
at 80% or some other ridiculous small size - because Verdana looks too
large in their browsers! Well, yeah. This of course penalizes users
who don't have it, who then see their standard-sized default font in
micro-size.

Verdana is an overly-large font when compared to all the other widely
used ones.

Neredbojias

Correctamundo. Too many authors choose Verdana, then set the font
size at 80% or some other ridiculous small size - because Verdana
looks too large in their browsers! Well, yeah. This of course
penalizes users who don't have it, who then see their standard-sized
default font in micro-size.

Absolutely true. Ergo, if you use Verdana, you must want a
larger-appearing font that's also okay at normal size (-for those who
don't have the font.) And as you intimated, don't reduce its size.
Verdana is an overly-large font when compared to all the other widely
used ones.

That doesn't mean it's unusable.

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2009-01-20, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
Verdana is an overly-large font when compared to all the other widely
used ones.

Verdana is only a little larger that Helvetica or Arial.
Helvetica/Arial is much closer in size to Verdana than it is to
Times Roman.

A page in Times with font-size: 100% is usually too small for me
to read easily. Helvetica or Verdana is comfortable.

I prefer to leave the font for blocks of text unspecified, so that
it is at the user's preferred size and font.

asdf

On 2009-01-20, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
..

Verdana is only a little larger that Helvetica or Arial.
Helvetica/Arial is much closer in size to Verdana than it is to
Times Roman.

A page in Times with font-size: 100% is usually too small for me
to read easily. Helvetica or Verdana is comfortable.

I prefer to leave the font for blocks of text unspecified, so that
it is at the user's preferred size and font.

Author:

At last! Somebody slagging off Times New Roman on accessibility grounds!
(and I agree wholeheartedly)

Blinky the Shark

That should be "gin-or-vodka", of course.
That's pretty hardcore. Gin is _distilled_; bourbon and scotch are
_crafted_. I don't know what vodka is but wouldn't be surprised if it
were an element of some Bolshevik plot designed to undermine American
capitalism. Perhaps you should have been born a sturgeon...

Well, my father's name *was* Theodore...

Neredbojias

That should be "gin-or-vodka", of course.

Well, my father's name *was* Theodore...

Ah yes, Theodore Sturgeon, the great sf writer. I was a sf fanatic
back in the "old days" and read many-a TS piece. Anyway, to let the
cat out of the bag, I don't really drink, and when I did, beer was my
primary choice. The last real favorite I remember was "St. Pauli Girl"
dark, but I think they all change in time.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Ah yes, Theodore Sturgeon, the great sf writer. I was a sf fanatic back
in the "old days" and read many-a TS piece. Anyway, to let the cat out of
the bag, I don't really drink, and when I did, beer was my primary choice.
The last real favorite I remember was "St. Pauli Girl" dark, but I think
they all change in time.

You never forget your first girl...

Travis Newbury

I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
Unified Problem Solver atwww.grandsolver.com. Would you be willing
to check it out and send me any critiques you may have?

PU