    Homepage: http://makepp.sourceforge.net/
    Documentation: http://makepp.sourceforge.net/1.50/
    Download: http://search.cpan.org/~pfeiffer/

    Daniel Pfeiffer, Jul 29, 2007

  2. Daniel Pfeiffer <> writes:
    > Makepp is getting ever faster, again 10% to 15% faster than last
    > one.

    [...]

    That's nice. It would have been even nicer to mention what "makepp" is.
    Quoting the home page:

    Makepp is a drop-in replacement for GNU make which has a number of
    features that allow for more reliable builds and simpler build
    files.

    Useful, I'm sure, but off-topic in comp.lang.c and comp.lang.c++.

    Keith Thompson, Jul 29, 2007

  3. Daniel Pfeiffer

    jacob navia Guest

    Daniel Pfeiffer wrote:
    > Makepp is getting ever faster, again 10% to 15% faster than last one.
    > The new well tested beta snapshot fixes various bugs, a *must* for users
    > of the option combination -kj <n>.
    >
    > The integrated build cache now offers statistics and can be replicated,
    > giving greater time savings for multiple disks or machines. On Linux and
    > Solaris this also saves much space.
    >
    > C/C++ developer, especially those who preprocess or generate sources,
    > may be glad to hear that all builtin filters (except &sort) can now
    > generate cpp-style line synchronization.
    >
    > All commands now have abbreviations like mpp for makepp, mppc for
    > makeppclean and mppl for makepplog.
    >
    > Homepage: http://makepp.sourceforge.net/
    > Documentation: http://makepp.sourceforge.net/1.50/
    > Download: http://search.cpan.org/~pfeiffer/

    From the documentation this looks like the rolls royce of all
    make utilities...

    Like the project management of lcc-win32, it will find out
    the dependencies of the source files by following the include
    directives in the source.

    But it will also detect command line changes, for instance

    and in your src.h you have
    typedef struct tagExample {
    char *p;
    int a;
    #ifdef FOO
    long double m;
    #endif
    double xyz;
    } EXAMPLE;

    If you compiled with

    cc -c src.c

    many make utilities will not discover that src.c needs to be
    recompiled when you add the -DFOO option, and you will have
    a LONG and frustrating debugging session!!!

    lcc-win32's project management catches this by including
    in the project description all the -D defines, but if
    you do not use an IDE you are stuck.

    This is by the way a big hole in the language (C AND C++)
    since the -D compiler directives aren't at all part of the
    source code, or the language itself.

    Other goodies include simpler recursive project management
    (what lcc-win32 doesn't do at all sigh...), repositories
    (something that can be emulated with the VPATH variable
    under some make utilities in Unix) and many other features.

    This runs only under Unix. Windows users are left in the cold.
    A pity... since this is written in perl, a port to windows
    is (maybe) not so far away.

    jacob

    jacob navia, Jul 29, 2007