New window question - unrelated to previous

Discussion in 'HTML' started by BernieH, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. BernieH

    BernieH Guest

    To give some background first, and hopefully avoid yet again being classed
    as an idiot... I know some of my questions may seem very basic, but I need
    so rarely need to use JavaScript, CSS (and even HTML) that I don't really
    have the opportunity to build up a solid core of knowledge -

    I am responsible for administration of a link resolver in an academic
    library. This means that many of our subscribed databases include a link to
    our resolver on their pages. When users click this link, it opens a new,
    popup window displaying the results of our link resolver. This is standard
    and expected behaviour of link resolvers, to open in popup windows, and is
    largely controlled from the database end.

    However, one of our databases insists on opening the results of our link
    resolver in the current window - which means that users invariably click on
    the "close" button to close the window - and hence lose all the search
    results etc that they've accumlated in that database.

    I need to force this link resolver window to open in a new window. Of
    course it would be easiest to have this happening at the database end, but
    they are not being very cooperative. So we need to work around this and
    insert the code into our link resolver window. I thought I could perhaps do
    this by naming the window via onload, as below. But this isn't working.

    Can anyone suggest an alternative? Below is the relevant bit of code.

    </HEAD>
    <BODY onload="window.focus();name=winname">
    BernieH, Dec 1, 2004

  2. BernieH

    Noozer Guest

    "BernieH" <> wrote in message
    > To give some background first, and hopefully avoid yet again being classed
    > as an idiot... I know some of my questions may seem very basic, but I need
    > so rarely need to use JavaScript, CSS (and even HTML) that I don't really
    > have the opportunity to build up a solid core of knowledge -
    >
    > I am responsible for administration of a link resolver in an academic
    > library. This means that many of our subscribed databases include a link

    > our resolver on their pages. When users click this link, it opens a new,
    > popup window displaying the results of our link resolver. This is standard
    > and expected behaviour of link resolvers, to open in popup windows, and is
    > largely controlled from the database end.

    Easy... Fix the OTHER resolvers so none of them open new windows.

    If users want a new window they can hold SHIFT when they click their link
    (assuming IE here).
    Noozer, Dec 1, 2004

  3. In article <ZXord.405560$%k.208919@pd7tw2no>, says...
    > Easy... Fix the OTHER resolvers so none of them open new windows.
    > If users want a new window they can hold SHIFT when they click their link
    > (assuming IE here).

    Yea, good suggestion...
    --
    -=*Tn*=-