new wooden door step - fixing and finishing

jkn

Hi all
I'm considering having a go at replacing the wooden door step to
our back door. The original is loose and rotting.

I'm sure some of this will be clearer when I remove the (metal) door
frame - how is such a step fixed? Vertical frame fixings?

Also, any suggestions for treating/finishing such an item, subject to
heavy use, to prevent future rot? I was wondering about treating it
wilth liberal amounts of Teak Oil or similar...

Thanks
Jon N

Magnus Lycka

jkn said:
Hi all
Hi!

I'm considering having a go at replacing the wooden door step to
our back door. The original is loose and rotting.

Aha, like old perl scripts.
I'm sure some of this will be clearer when I remove the (metal) door
frame - how is such a step fixed? Vertical frame fixings?

cx_freeze maybe?
Also, any suggestions for treating/finishing such an item, subject to
heavy use, to prevent future rot? I was wondering about treating it
wilth liberal amounts of Teak Oil or similar...

Perhaps a list comprehension will do? Or a regular expression?

Carl Friedrich Bolz

Robert said:
No, no, first things first -- which IDE or editor should he use, and
which Door Framework, or should he roll his own Door?

I heard that wooden door steps will lead to much lower walking speeds.
Isn't a low-level door step out of stone to be prefered?

Jeffrey Schwab

jkn said:
Hi all
I'm considering having a go at replacing the wooden door step to
our back door. The original is loose and rotting.

I'm sure some of this will be clearer when I remove the (metal) door
frame - how is such a step fixed? Vertical frame fixings?

Depends on your layout manager. Btw, you don't have to use Metal: Java
frames support native L&F.
Also, any suggestions for treating/finishing such an item, subject to
heavy use,

Lots of unit testing.
to prevent future rot?

Good documentation, especially javadocs.
I was wondering about treating it
wilth liberal amounts of Teak Oil or similar...

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I’ll use
Teak Oil." Now they have two problems.

Jeffrey Schwab

Jeffrey said:
Depends on your layout manager. Btw, you don't have to use Metal: Java
frames support native L&F.

Lots of unit testing.

Good documentation, especially javadocs.

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I’ll use
Teak Oil." Now they have two problems.

Forgot what group I was in. Kindly replace any Java-specific witticisms
with appropriately pythonic humor.

Grant Edwards

Yup, chasing down a teak can be almost as difficult as catching
and skinning a nauga.
Forgot what group I was in.

More or less hoist on one's own petard, eh?

EP

jkn said:
Hi all
I'm considering having a go at replacing the wooden door step to
our back door. The original is loose and rotting.

I'm sure some of this will be clearer when I remove the (metal) door
frame - how is such a step fixed? Vertical frame fixings?

Also, any suggestions for treating/finishing such an item, subject to
heavy use, to prevent future rot? I was wondering about treating it
wilth liberal amounts of Teak Oil or similar...

Thanks
Jon N
Jon,

Wood rots so no matter how you build it you are going to find yourself
arm deep in the framing wiedling nails and wood shims in the future.
The important thing is that you develop a proper level of documentation
and incorporate it right into your new steps. If the original builder
had done this you would not now be asking these questions.

Good working documentation can be easily achieved by writing comments
right onto the workings beneath the steps, however these comments need
to be meaningful; an over abundance of obvious comments ("Nail goes
here!") will actually make future rework harder.

If you have practiced proper documentation on your other projects,
you'll do fine when you employ it here building your new steps. Don't
even think about teak oil until you have documented a well designed
framework. And remember, you're working in wood, you are going to need
to tweak things here and there in the future

I might also recommend an object oriented approach, but I guess that's
obvious.

Happy hammering!

John M. Gabriele

Jeffrey said:
jkn wrote:

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I’ll use
Teak Oil." Now they have two problems.

Quit it! You're making me laugh too much and it's gonna
wake up the kids! :D

Peter Hansen

Carl said:
I heard that wooden door steps will lead to much lower walking speeds.

Don't assume: use the timeit module to find out for yourself.
Isn't a low-level door step out of stone to be prefered?

What did you learn when you Googled for it?

-answering-entirely-in-character-ly y'rs,
Peter

robin

Jeffrey Schwab said:
Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I?ll use
Teak Oil." Now they have two problems.

+1 QOTW

BTW, I integrated a similar line into one of my readings (I sideline
as a poet), a piece entitled "Advice For Modern Living". Goes like
this:

"When confronted with a conflict some people go to a solicitor for
advice. Now they have two problems."