    source community? Should I get a patent for it before making any
    moves?

    What would you do in my place?
    A. Y. Chen, Dec 23, 2003

  2. A. Y. Chen

    Bob Foster Guest

    "A. Y. Chen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've created a new mini-language for querying and manipulating XML.
    > I've demonstrated (at least to myself) that it's superior to the
    > standards that are currently available.
    >
    > Assuming that it's really useful, what should I do with it? Should I
    > write up documentation and release it to the world? Should I just keep
    > it a proprietary secret for in-house use? Should I give it to the open
    > source community? Should I get a patent for it before making any
    > moves?
    >
    > What would you do in my place?

    I doubt that a language is a patentable invention. God knows everything else
    is, but I believe computer languages, once disclosed, have very little
    protection under any sort of IP law, patent, copyright, trade secret, take
    your pick. So in your place, unless I had some whizzbang technology that
    processed the language in a way nobody has done before, I would be content
    if I found either a market or users for my language.

    Bob Foster
    Bob Foster, Dec 24, 2003

  3. A. Y. Chen wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've created a new mini-language for querying and manipulating XML.
    > I've demonstrated (at least to myself) that it's superior to the
    > standards that are currently available.
    >
    > Assuming that it's really useful, what should I do with it? Should I
    > write up documentation and release it to the world? Should I just keep
    > it a proprietary secret for in-house use? Should I give it to the open
    > source community? Should I get a patent for it before making any
    > moves?
    >
    > What would you do in my place?

    Assuming this is more than just a new syntax for the existing functionality
    then you might protect yourself by locking away the algorythms that make your
    product superiour(?). And never, ever distribute the source.

    But then again you will probably find little interest in a 'one man and his
    dog' company from the technical/hacker community for a propriatry non-standard
    tool. You would need the backing of the likes of Sun or Oracle to come out
    with a new tool and be taken seriously without giving the source away.

    If you go open source however you may find that you are taken more seriously,
    just don't give up your day job.

    I wouldn't bet on patents unless you already have a great deal of money to
    spend on lawyers.
    Peter Hickman, Dec 24, 2003