new XML query language

A. Y. Chen

Hi,

I've created a new mini-language for querying and manipulating XML.
I've demonstrated (at least to myself) that it's superior to the
standards that are currently available.

Assuming that it's really useful, what should I do with it? Should I
write up documentation and release it to the world? Should I just keep
it a proprietary secret for in-house use? Should I give it to the open
source community? Should I get a patent for it before making any
moves?

What would you do in my place?

Bob Foster

A. Y. Chen said:
Hi,

I've created a new mini-language for querying and manipulating XML.
I've demonstrated (at least to myself) that it's superior to the
standards that are currently available.

Assuming that it's really useful, what should I do with it? Should I
write up documentation and release it to the world? Should I just keep
it a proprietary secret for in-house use? Should I give it to the open
source community? Should I get a patent for it before making any
moves?

What would you do in my place?

I doubt that a language is a patentable invention. God knows everything else
is, but I believe computer languages, once disclosed, have very little
protection under any sort of IP law, patent, copyright, trade secret, take
your pick. So in your place, unless I had some whizzbang technology that
processed the language in a way nobody has done before, I would be content
if I found either a market or users for my language.

Bob Foster

Peter Hickman

A. Y. Chen said:
Hi,

I've created a new mini-language for querying and manipulating XML.
I've demonstrated (at least to myself) that it's superior to the
standards that are currently available.

Assuming that it's really useful, what should I do with it? Should I
write up documentation and release it to the world? Should I just keep
it a proprietary secret for in-house use? Should I give it to the open
source community? Should I get a patent for it before making any
moves?

What would you do in my place?

Assuming this is more than just a new syntax for the existing functionality
then you might protect yourself by locking away the algorythms that make your
product superiour(?). And never, ever distribute the source.

But then again you will probably find little interest in a 'one man and his
dog' company from the technical/hacker community for a propriatry non-standard
tool. You would need the backing of the likes of Sun or Oracle to come out
with a new tool and be taken seriously without giving the source away.

If you go open source however you may find that you are taken more seriously,
just don't give up your day job.

I wouldn't bet on patents unless you already have a great deal of money to
spend on lawyers.