Newbee problem with my banks drop-down menus

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Gordon Abbot, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    My bank uses drop-down menus which do not work with Mozilla or Firefox.
    I ran the web pages through a web based html checker and it returned
    some problems in that area (along with a whole lot more) I sent the
    report to the bank and they are "working on the problem". That was a
    month ago.

    Is this the correct forum to post the html from the specific areas of
    concern for help in diagnosing the problem, or is there somewhere else I
    should go?

    My interest is to get the pages working by shaming them into fixing it
    so I do not have to use MSIE to do my on-line banking.

    Thanks.

    GA


    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
    Gordon Abbot, Feb 28, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Gordon Abbot

    Guest

    Gordon Abbot wrote:
    > My bank uses drop-down menus which do not work with Mozilla or Firefox.
    > I ran the web pages through a web based html checker and it returned
    > some problems in that area (along with a whole lot more) I sent the
    > report to the bank and they are "working on the problem". That was a
    > month ago.
    >
    > Is this the correct forum to post the html from the specific areas of
    > concern for help in diagnosing the problem, or is there somewhere else I
    > should go?


    It might be, but I suspect your bank's developers are capable of fixing
    it and will simply ignore your "I know better because some bloke on
    usenet told me" attitude.

    --
    Hywel
    , Feb 28, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Gordon Abbot wrote:
    > My bank uses drop-down menus which do not work with Mozilla or Firefox...


    My guess is they say that IE, possibly a specific version is required
    if you want to do internet banking. If so, then telling them that it
    does not work in a different browser is kind of pointless.
    Travis Newbury, Feb 28, 2006
    #3
  4. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Gordon Abbot wrote:
    >
    >>My bank uses drop-down menus which do not work with Mozilla or Firefox...

    >
    >
    > My guess is they say that IE, possibly a specific version is required
    > if you want to do internet banking. If so, then telling them that it
    > does not work in a different browser is kind of pointless.
    >

    Actually, they say it works with Mozilla and Firefox on the website. The
    bank people have been fine. Their programmers seem to be a bit in the dark.

    GA

    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
    Gordon Abbot, Feb 28, 2006
    #4
  5. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    wrote:

    > Gordon Abbot wrote:
    >
    >>My bank uses drop-down menus which do not work with Mozilla or Firefox.
    >>I ran the web pages through a web based html checker and it returned
    >>some problems in that area (along with a whole lot more) I sent the
    >>report to the bank and they are "working on the problem". That was a
    >>month ago.
    >>
    >>Is this the correct forum to post the html from the specific areas of
    >>concern for help in diagnosing the problem, or is there somewhere else I
    >>should go?

    >
    >
    > It might be, but I suspect your bank's developers are capable of fixing
    > it and will simply ignore your "I know better because some bloke on
    > usenet told me" attitude.
    >


    I agree, but it is also for my edification. If the html code is fine
    then there is something in my own setup that is causing the problem. If
    so, that will be helpful to others who are having problems with the
    bank's web pages. It will also help the programmers since they will know
    the issue.

    So, where can I post the section of code to have it analyzed? Here?

    GA

    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
    Gordon Abbot, Feb 28, 2006
    #5
  6. Gordon Abbot

    Greg N. Guest

    Gordon Abbot wrote:
    > My bank uses drop-down menus which do not work with Mozilla or Firefox.


    Just a wild guess: Enable pop-ups and try again.

    --
    Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
    Greg N., Feb 28, 2006
    #6
  7. Gordon Abbot

    David Segall Guest

    Gordon Abbot <> wrote:

    >My interest is to get the pages working by shaming them into fixing it
    >so I do not have to use MSIE to do my on-line banking.

    Good idea. Meanwhile, to make your life easier, add the I.E. extension
    to Firefox
    <https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1429&application=firefox>
    It enables you to right click and then choose to view the page in
    Internet Explorer so that you can check that it really is incompatible
    with Firefox. It also enables you to specify sites that should always
    be viewed with IE so that you do not have to get irritated every time
    you select your bank site with Firefox.
    David Segall, Feb 28, 2006
    #7
  8. Gordon Abbot wrote:
    <snip>
    > So, where can I post the section of code to have it analyzed? Here?


    Cut to the chase, what is the URL?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 28, 2006
    #8
  9. Gordon Abbot

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Gordon Abbot wrote:

    > I agree, but it is also for my edification. If the html code is fine
    > then there is something in my own setup that is causing the problem.


    So create a new Firefox profile, leave the settings as default, and try
    with that,

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    Toby Inkster, Feb 28, 2006
    #9
  10. On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:01:48 +0000, David Segall wrote:

    > Gordon Abbot <> wrote:
    >
    >>My interest is to get the pages working by shaming them into fixing it
    >>so I do not have to use MSIE to do my on-line banking.

    > Good idea. Meanwhile, to make your life easier, add the I.E. extension
    > to Firefox
    > <https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1429&application=firefox>
    > It enables you to right click and then choose to view the page in
    > Internet Explorer so that you can check that it really is incompatible
    > with Firefox. It also enables you to specify sites that should always be
    > viewed with IE so that you do not have to get irritated every time you
    > select your bank site with Firefox.


    I dunno about anyone else, but I'd still be irritated every time I had to
    use IE; the only difference would be that it would (I would hope) start up
    on its own.


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2006
    #10
  11. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Gordon Abbot wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    >> So, where can I post the section of code to have it analyzed? Here?

    >
    >
    > Cut to the chase, what is the URL?
    >


    Unfortunately, it is on the secure side of the site, in the users
    accounts. The problem is you can see the main page and requires you to
    use the drop down menu to get the breakdown pages (such as activity for
    the month, view checks and the like).

    GA

    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
    Gordon Abbot, Mar 1, 2006
    #11
  12. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    Greg N. wrote:

    > Gordon Abbot wrote:
    >
    >> My bank uses drop-down menus which do not work with Mozilla or Firefox.

    >
    >
    > Just a wild guess: Enable pop-ups and try again.
    >


    One of the first things I tried. Did not work.
    GA

    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
    Gordon Abbot, Mar 1, 2006
    #12
  13. Gordon Abbot wrote:

    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon Abbot wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> So, where can I post the section of code to have it analyzed? Here?

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Cut to the chase, what is the URL?
    >>

    >
    > Unfortunately, it is on the secure side of the site, in the users
    > accounts. The problem is you can see the main page and requires you to
    > use the drop down menu to get the breakdown pages (such as activity for
    > the month, view checks and the like).


    Then it is the bank's problem. All you can do is inform them of the
    problem, if they will only accommodate MSIE and that is a problem for
    you (and it should be) find another bank and let them know why you are
    changing your business. Nothing speaks more loudly to a bank than lost
    business.


    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 1, 2006
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. SirPoonga
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    745
    Ben Strackany
    Jan 7, 2005
  2. weiwei
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,002
    weiwei
    Jan 5, 2007
  3. Re: Banks and economy

    , Oct 22, 2008, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    302
    David Thompson
    Nov 3, 2008
  4. msimmons
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    461
    msimmons
    Jul 16, 2009
  5. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    255
Loading...

Share This Page