newbee question on nesting Repeater in DataList

Shun Duke

I have working code allowing me to nest repeaters inside datalists
using relations and child rows but this does not allow me to acheive
my goal.

What I want to be able to do is display small tables (approx 5-10 rows
by 3-4 columns) of data using repeaters nested in a datalist.

Each row in the datalist source will act as a pointer and filter to
the child table for the repeater source.

eg Datalist Source:
UserID ItemID
1 1
1 2
2 1
3 2

Repeater Source for ItemID 1:
UserID Item Description
1 A A Desc
1 B B Desc
2 C C Desc

Repeater Source for ItemID 2:
UserID Item Description
1 D D Desc
3 E E Desc
3 F F Desc

When the user with userID = 1 requests the page the datalist will
display similar to ...

|---------------------|
|A A Desc |D D Desc |
|B B Desc | |
|---------------------|

I cannot use multiple relations on a single table source for the
repeater.
This is for a portal where the users will be creating a personal
page where they can pick and choose summaries of data.

eg top 10 X by Customer or top 5 highest sales lines.
The crucial thing is that the UserID acts as a filter so that the top
X by customers would be taken only from the userid's teritiory.

The closest analogy I can think of would be in pubs allowing authors
to choose a summary of sales by title next to commision by month

I can response.write out the contents of the SQLDataReader as a table
manually in the onItemChanged event of the datalist, but I really want
to take advantage of the repeater for alternate row styles etc.

I am using SQL 2K asp.net 1.1 (vb only please)
Thanks in advance