newbee: using XML to define how to enter data?

Discussion in 'XML' started by fkater@googlemail.com, Mar 8, 2006.

    we need to enter lots of data which are basicly descriptions of pc
    hardware configuration like this:

    Mainboard:
    vendor=...
    #of PCI slots=3
    slot 1
    graphic adapter
    vendor=...
    slot 2

    What I understand from XML & Co. is that an XML admin could define
    valid data structures (like: every mainboard must have RAM, but the
    number of RAM modules may be >1 etc.) with an XML editor.

    My question is: if there is an editor for the user to enter data (like
    into fields of a database) who does not know anything about XML. This
    editor should on the one hand take the admin's definitions of valid
    data from the XML structure, and on the other hand allow the user to
    enter data *only* the way it was defined before.

    So, I think we don't simply need an XML editor. Also, it would not be
    enough to let the user enter data freely in a text editor and *later*
    parse it against errors -- the editor should visually show to the user
    what data is required, what is optional etc.

    Felix

    , Mar 8, 2006