Newbie alert! How to revert from Frames to Single page view?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by evillen@gmail.com, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    Below I have some html code for creating a Single page built up from a
    number of Frames.

    I need to be able to click on a new link within (for example) frame A
    and for that link to open up in the full browser window - instead what
    currently happens is that the new link just replaces what was
    previously in frame A, and the other frames remain displayed.

    I hope this is clear, thanks for any and all help.

    Len

    <frameset cols="15%,85%"><!-- A -->
    <frame src="sr_menu.html">

    <frameset rows="25%,75%"><!-- B -->

    <frameset cols="33%,33%,33%"><!-- C -->
    <frame src="sql_select.html">
    <frame src="sql_update.html">
    <frame src="sql_new.html">
    </frameset><!-- C -->

    <frame src="cgi-bin/results.cgi">
    </frameset><!-- B -->

    </frameset><!-- /A -->
    , Sep 15, 2006

  2. mbstevens Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 04:57:03 -0700, evillen wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Below I have some html code for creating a Single page built up from a
    > number of Frames.

    Bad idea in most cases.
    http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html

    > I need to be able to click on a new link within (for example) frame A and
    > for that link to open up in the full browser window

    Bad idea.
    It makes the site less accessible because it breaks the browser's
    back-button. Won't work well on many devices. Let the visitor decide how
    she wants her links to open in her own browser preferences.
    mbstevens, Sep 15, 2006

  3. Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:

    > Below I have some html code for creating a Single page built up from a
    > number of Frames.

    Bad idea, but if you _must_ do this, look up the use of the "target"
    attribute on the <a> element.
    Andy Dingley, Sep 15, 2006

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Below I have some html code for creating a Single page built up from a
    > > number of Frames.

    > Bad idea, but if you _must_ do this, look up the use of the "target"
    > attribute on the <a> element.

    OK it seems as though the collective wisdom is to avoid Frames like the
    plague.... such a shame when they look so nice ;-)
    , Sep 15, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > Andy Dingley wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Below I have some html code for creating a Single page built up from a
    >>> number of Frames.

    >> Bad idea, but if you _must_ do this, look up the use of the "target"
    >> attribute on the <a> element.

    > OK it seems as though the collective wisdom is to avoid Frames like the
    > plague.... such a shame when they look so nice ;-)

    In the past frames was about the only way to "easily" modularly build a
    page, server-side scripting and databases were rare and expensive.

    *That was then this is now*

    PHP is so ubiquitous now and quick to learn that there really is not
    reason to use frames. It can look as nice or better (because your insert
    do not have to be strict rectangular 'zones'). It is far easier to
    manage. Google "how to insert one webpage into another" and you will be
    blessed with tutorials, examples and templates...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO