newbie - asp.net

Mark Oliver

Hi,

Do i have to install IIS to develop (but not host) an asp.net application?
i don't want to install IIS because of the security problems it causes, and
so far i haven't been able to install IIS because it asks for infocomm.dll
from XP service pack 1 - and the only place i have seen infocomm.dll is at
KB q192296 from 1998.

Thanks,
Mark

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Mark said:
Hi,

Do i have to install IIS to develop (but not host) an asp.net
application? i don't want to install IIS because of the security
problems it causes, and so far i haven't been able to install IIS
because it asks for infocomm.dll from XP service pack 1 - and the
only place i have seen infocomm.dll is at KB q192296 from 1998.

Thanks,
Mark
question to a group where those dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest

You only need to install IIS if you want to test your applications. .Net
applications can be written with Notepad. IIRC, Web Matrix comes with a
small web server for testing your applications, but I'm not sure. Google it
and see for sure.

Bob Barrows

Paxton

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Yep - Web Matrix DOES come with its own integral testing server. The whole
thing can be found at www.asp.net.

Mark Oliver

i took your advise and posted at framework.aspnet. Now i can develop in
VS7 with IIS or with Web Matrix!