Newbie - basic questions about Javabeans

Discussion in 'Java' started by zalek, Mar 21, 2008.

  1. zalek

    zalek Guest

    Hello,
    I decided to write a simple application using Javabeans in NetBeans
    IDE 6.0.
    I created a frame with few buttons and fields.
    I gave a name to all fields and buttons. I switched from Design to
    Source and I see code like this:

    jButton1 = new javax.swing.JButton();
    jButton1.setName("b_exit");

    The above code cannot be changed.

    My questions:
    How I should I access object I created - I don't want to use name like
    jButton1 - I want to use name I assigned like b_exit.
    Is there any example of building simple application using JavaBeans?
    Which book do you recommend for learning Javabeans?

    Thanks,

    Zalek

    zalek, Mar 21, 2008

  2. zalek

    Mark Space Guest

    zalek wrote:

    > How I should I access object I created - I don't want to use name like
    > jButton1 - I want to use name I assigned like b_exit.

    You pretty much have to use jButton1. You can change that name too.
    Right click on the component and select "Change variable name".

    > Is there any example of building simple application using JavaBeans?
    > Which book do you recommend for learning Javabeans?

    This is Swing, not Javabeans. Try to learn Swing. I recommend
    _Learning Java_ by O'Reilly, it's a good introduction to Java, including
    Swing. Once you get a handle on that, Sun's Tutorial becomes easier to
    read and understand.

    Mark Space, Mar 21, 2008

  3. zalek

    zalek Guest

    On Mar 20, 11:18 pm, Mark Space <> wrote:
    > zalek wrote:
    > > How I should I access object I created - I don't want to use name like
    > > jButton1 - I want to use name I assigned like b_exit.

    > You pretty much have to use jButton1. You can change that name too.
    > Right click on the component and select "Change variable name".
    >
    > > Is there any example of building simple application using JavaBeans?
    > > Which book do you recommend for learning Javabeans?

    > This is Swing, not Javabeans. Try to learn Swing. I recommend
    > _Learning Java_ by O'Reilly, it's a good introduction to Java, including
    > Swing. Once you get a handle on that, Sun's Tutorial becomes easier to
    > read and understand.

    Mark,

    My question was related to Javabeans IDE. In this IDE you build GUI
    similar way as in VB or Powerbuilder - you do not use explicitly any
    layout manager - IDE is doing this work for you. I created GUI, it is
    displayed - my question was how to programaticly change contents of
    this GUI.

    Zalek

    zalek, Mar 21, 2008
  4. zalek

    CK Guest

    Words to the wise, zalek <> wrote:

    >My question was related to Javabeans IDE. In this IDE you build GUI
    >similar way as in VB or Powerbuilder - you do not use explicitly any
    >layout manager - IDE is doing this work for you. I created GUI, it is
    >displayed - my question was how to programaticly change contents of
    >this GUI.

    Arent you talking about NetBeans?
    --
    Claus Dragon <>
    =(UDIC)=

    - Me, lately.

    CK, Mar 21, 2008
  5. zalek

    Mark Space Guest

    zalek wrote:

    > My question was related to Javabeans IDE. In this IDE you build GUI

    No, you said "NetBeans". I use NetBeans 6.0.1 and I'm familiar with
    Matisse, the GUI builder.

    JavaBeans is different from NetBeans. JavaBeans is a spec. NetBeans is
    an IDE. Very different.

    Mark Space, Mar 21, 2008
  6. zalek

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 03:18:04 GMT, Mark Space
    who said :

    >This is Swing, not Javabeans. Try to learn Swing.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/swing.html

    JavaBeans is an idea that never went anywhere. All that is left of it
    is the get/setter naming convention.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Mar 21, 2008
  7. zalek

    Lew Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > JavaBeans is an idea that never went anywhere. All that is left of it
    > is the get/setter naming convention.

    That is not fair, nor true. JavaBeans events and property sheets are used
    still. By those who know of them. For example, many IDEs use them that way.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Mar 21, 2008
  8. zalek

    zalek Guest

    On Mar 20, 11:02 pm, zalek <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I decided to write a simple application using Javabeans in NetBeans
    > IDE 6.0.
    > I created a frame with few buttons and fields.
    > I gave a name to all fields and buttons. I switched from Design to
    > Source and I see code like this:
    >
    > jButton1 = new javax.swing.JButton();
    > jButton1.setName("b_exit");
    >
    > The above code cannot be changed.
    >
    > My questions:
    > How I should I access object I created - I don't want to use name like
    > jButton1 - I want to use name I assigned like b_exit.
    > Is there any example of building simple application using JavaBeans?
    > Which book do you recommend for learning Javabeans?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Zalek

    Thanks for all replies - maybe I didn't explained clearly what was my
    problem.
    I am using IDE NetBeans to create a JFrame and Java program to use
    this JFrame. The problem was that IDE Netbeams created names like
    JButton1, JButton2 etc, while I wanted to use "human" names like
    t_name or t_user. Using properties of the objects name was not
    changed, only command .setName was used.
    I found that mouse right click on an object changes object name - this
    is what I wanted.
    Thanks,

    Zalek

    zalek, Mar 22, 2008