    Also, could anyone recommend a book or web site to demonstrate the
    forum concept?
    Thankyou in advance.
    sw, Aug 13, 2007

  2. sw

    J.O. Aho Guest

    sw wrote:
    > I'd like to establish a forum website for people in our neighbourhood
    > to leave and read information. I have some web space from sympatico
    > and was wondering if that would support the forum concept.
    > Is it necessary to set up a web hosting arrangement prior to doing
    > this or does it depend upon the amt of traffic expected?

    Much depends on the web-space provider, one of my ISPs (have one modem based,
    in case I would get trouble with my broadband) offers a number of features
    that you can add to your homepage, like gallery and web forum.

    For the best forum scripts you need both PHP and MySQL access, of which MySQL
    access is rarely given out for free. You can use less advanced forum scripts
    that uses plain text files to store the data. I do suggest you take a look at
    freshmeat.net for forum scripts and check which script languages your web
    space provider allows you to use.

    One of many forum scripts: http://www.phpbb.com/
    Wikipedia about the above forum script: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Aho, Aug 13, 2007

  3. sw

    sw Guest

    On Aug 13, 2:14 pm, "J.O. Aho" <> wrote:
    > sw wrote:
    > > I'd like to establish a forum website for people in our neighbourhood
    > > to leave and read information. I have some web space from sympatico
    > > and was wondering if that would support the forum concept.
    > > Is it necessary to set up a web hosting arrangement prior to doing
    > > this or does it depend upon the amt of traffic expected?

    > Much depends on the web-space provider, one of my ISPs (have one modem based,
    > in case I would get trouble with my broadband) offers a number of features
    > that you can add to your homepage, like gallery and web forum.
    >
    > For the best forum scripts you need both PHP and MySQL access, of which MySQL
    > access is rarely given out for free. You can use less advanced forum scripts
    > that uses plain text files to store the data. I do suggest you take a look at
    > freshmeat.net for forum scripts and check which script languages your web
    > space provider allows you to use.
    >
    > > Also, could anyone recommend a book or web site to demonstrate the
    > > forum concept?

    > One of many forum scripts:http://www.phpbb.com/
    > Wikipedia about the above forum script:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB
    >
    > --