    but if I can do it with XML, it won't matter to me what is installed
    on the web server.

    Thanks
    Matt W, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Matt W wrote:
    > I know very, very little about XML. Is it possible to imitate a simple
    > database? I have a client who wants a web page that can display three
    > photos with a description for each. Is it possible to use XML to do
    > this? And then I could teach my client how to use XML (maybe via MS
    > Word) just enought so she can change those three photos and
    > descriptions as wanted.
    >
    > I know I can do this with a database and ASP, ColdFusion, PHP, etc.,
    > but if I can do it with XML, it won't matter to me what is installed
    > on the web server.

    Well, you cannot do this with XML alone, because XML is not a
    web publishing framework, but with the proper tools you could
    implement your requirements using XML technology.

    If you already know PHP then you will want to throw a look at
    the miscellanous XML-libraries for PHP, e.g. PEAR [1], Sablo-
    tron [2] or DomXML [3]. There exist many more - just use Google.

    A web publishing framework which makes heavy use of XML and
    related technologies is Apache Cocoon [4]. Lenya is a content
    management system based on Cocoon [5]. This might be useful
    for you.

    HTH,
    Gerald

    [1] http://pear.php.net
    [2] http://www.gingerall.com/charlie/ga/xml/p_sab.xml
    [3] http://www.php.net/domxml
    [4] http://cocoon.apache.org
    [5] http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/
    Gerald Aichholzer, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Matt W

    clintonG Guest

    Yes, XML can be used as a light-weight database but as
    your circumstances are described using XML would IMO
    be over complicating the development of a solution.

    You can achieve your objective using Macromedia's Contribute
    which I would suggest you evaluate.

    --
    <%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost"
    Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development

    clintonG, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Gerald Aichholzer wrote:
    > Matt W wrote:
    >> I know very, very little about XML. Is it possible to imitate a
    >> simple database? I have a client who wants a web page that can
    >> display three photos with a description for each. Is it possible to
    >> use XML to do this? And then I could teach my client how to use XML
    >> (maybe via MS Word) just enought so she can change those three
    >> photos and descriptions as wanted.
    >>
    >> I know I can do this with a database and ASP, ColdFusion, PHP, etc.,
    >> but if I can do it with XML, it won't matter to me what is installed
    >> on the web server.
    >>

    > Well, you cannot do this with XML alone, because XML is not a
    > web publishing framework, but with the proper tools you could
    > implement your requirements using XML technology.
    >
    > If you already know PHP then you will want to throw a look at
    > the miscellanous XML-libraries for PHP, e.g. PEAR [1], Sablo-
    > tron [2] or DomXML [3]. There exist many more - just use Google.

    Just a quick note: if going for PHP, I would strongly suggest you to use
    PHP5. It has a native support for XML, much better than that of previous
    versions; find more on http://www.zend.com/php5/

    Berislav

    --
    If the Internet is a Marx Brothers movie, and Web, e-mail, and IRC are
    Groucho, Chico, and Harpo, then Usenet is Zeppo.
    Berislav Lopac, Sep 8, 2004