newbie...centering a submenu in ie??

Discussion in 'HTML' started by kaibo, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. kaibo

    kaibo Guest

    i'm trying to create a horizontal tab navigation bar with a submenu below
    it. i've finally got everything lined up in firefox, and even managed to get
    the main menu to center in IE. the only problem i have is that i cannot
    figure out why the submenu will not 'drop down' below the main menu in IE.
    (it is working in firefox)

    http://www.monkeymynd.com/testcr/index.php?location=products

    any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

    also, i originally had this set up another way where the sub menu was
    actually contained (within) the main menu. in this case, the sub items were
    left aligning to the selected main menu item. this looked nice, but i can't
    seem to get this example working without moving the sub menu outside of the
    main menu's <ul>. here is the original html code to compare against the link
    above.

    note: this was designed with another .css template, i just wanted to show
    how the submenu is wrapped withing the main.
    <ul id="primary">
    <li></li>
    <ul id="secondary">
    <li><a
    href="index.php?location=products&sublocation=modules&modid=members">Modules
    </a></li>
    <li><a
    href="index.php?location=products&sublocation=billing">Billing/EFT</a></li>
    <li><a
    href="index.php?location=products&sublocation=pricing">Pricing</a></li>
    <li><a
    href="index.php?location=products&sublocation=keytags">Keytags</a></li>
    </ul>
    </ul>

    kaibo, Jan 12, 2006

  2. kaibo

    kaibo Guest

    i added red & green backgrounds to show where things are lying down.
    hopefully this is helpful to someone.

    kaibo, Jan 12, 2006

  3. kaibo

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Jan Faerber, Jan 12, 2006
  4. kaibo wrote:

    > i'm trying to create a horizontal tab navigation bar with a submenu below
    > it. i've finally got everything lined up in firefox, and even managed to get
    > the main menu to center in IE. the only problem i have is that i cannot
    > figure out why the submenu will not 'drop down' below the main menu in IE.
    > (it is working in firefox)
    >
    > http://www.monkeymynd.com/testcr/index.php?location=products
    >
    > any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

    Perhaps fixing all the errors would be a good start:
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//www.monkeymynd.com/testcr/index.php%3Flocation%3Dproducts>
    <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http%3A//www.monkeymynd.com/testcr/index.php%3Flocation%3Dproducts>

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 12, 2006
  5. kaibo

    kaibo Guest

    i suppose i should have mentioned that this is someone elses code that was
    given to me to fix. i just want to see if it's possible to center the menu
    with the existing code first.

    kaibo, Jan 12, 2006
  6. kaibo

    kaibo Guest

    i cleaned it up, but i am not sure how to get rid of this error:

    Line 12 column 51: cannot generate system identifier for general entity
    "sublocation".

    kaibo, Jan 12, 2006
  7. kaibo

    kchayka Guest

    kaibo wrote:
    > i cleaned it up, but i am not sure how to get rid of this error:
    >
    > Line 12 column 51: cannot generate system identifier for general entity
    > "sublocation".
    > ...<a
    > href="index.php?location=products&sublocation=modules&modid=members">Modul

    Read the explanation that goes with the error. It will tell you exactly
    what you need to know.

    kchayka, Jan 12, 2006
  8. kaibo wrote:

    > i suppose i should have mentioned that this is someone elses code that
    > was given to me to fix. i just want to see if it's possible to center
    > the menu with the existing code first.

    We've seen this page here asking for critique or help several times now.
    So, you've been hired to fix it?

    Did you google for the original poster's ID and find out what the
    previous suggestions were? I don't remember them all at the moment.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 12, 2006
  9. kaibo

    kaibo Guest

    actually, i offered to update this website (for free) as a way to get some
    experience. i'm currently working as a delphi programmer, but have an
    interest in web design. thus...i have tried several different templates,
    read many messages, etc. but still cannot get one scheme to work in both
    browsers.

    the majority of suggestions that i have been given have mainly been html
    syntax issues that really aren't affecting the problem at hand. i cleaned up
    the source as suggested, but still cannot get the submenu centered on IE.

    i didn't realize it was such a big thing... seemed that if the main menu is
    centering, then a seasoned web designed could give me a quick answer as to
    what i'm doing wrong.

    kaibo, Jan 12, 2006