NEWBIE: Command line synthesis with Webpack

Torquemada

I've been playing with WEBPACK and the Digilent DIO1 board to synthesise
some simple projects. But one thing is bothering me. I find the user
interface that Xilinx provide to be horrible. How do I synthesise on the
command line? I also would like to generate VHDL procedurally which is
another reason I'd like to use the command line. I was easily able to figure
out how to do basic synthesis in the GUI from the docs but I can't find a
description of the end-to-end process for the command line. I can check the
logs and that gives me partial information about what command line tools
have been executed by the GUI but it doesn't give complete information.

Please go easy, I'm a beginner at this stuff.

Falser Klaus

I've been playing with WEBPACK and the Digilent DIO1 board to synthesise
some simple projects. But one thing is bothering me. I find the user
interface that Xilinx provide to be horrible. How do I synthesise on the
command line? I also would like to generate VHDL procedurally which is
another reason I'd like to use the command line. I was easily able to figure
out how to do basic synthesis in the GUI from the docs but I can't find a
description of the end-to-end process for the command line. I can check the
logs and that gives me partial information about what command line tools
have been executed by the GUI but it doesn't give complete information.

Please go easy, I'm a beginner at this stuff.

Read the documentation for XST. The information is there.

You have to write a command file "xst.src" for xst like this:

run
-ifn xst.prj
-case upper
-ifmt VHDL
-opt_mode SPEED
-opt_level 2
-ent encoder
-ofn result.ngc
-p XC95288XL-10-PQ208

The file xst.prj holds a list of all source files.

Afterwarts you call xst :

xst -ifn xst.scr

Hope this helps