    to write my own OS (maybe, one day, etc...). What is a really good
    compiler for me to buy ? TIA.
    Steve

    Steve H., Jul 23, 2004

  2. Steve H.

    JKop Guest

    Steve H. posted:

    > Hi all,
    > If this NG is the wrong one, excuse me. I am thinking of

    learning C++
    > to write my own OS (maybe, one day, etc...). What is a

    really good
    > compiler for me to buy ? TIA.
    > Steve

    Depends on the CPU you're aiming for. If you're aiming for
    the Intel Pentium family, then probably your best bet is to
    go to Intel.

    -JKop

    JKop, Jul 23, 2004

  3. Steve H.

    Ali Cehreli Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:37:41 -0700, Steve H. wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > If this NG is the wrong one, excuse me. I am thinking of learning C++ to
    > write my own OS (maybe, one day, etc...). What is a really good compiler
    > for me to buy ? TIA.
    > Steve

    Don't buy anything yet. Try a free compiler first: gcc for Linux; or for
    Windows, both Borland and Microsoft have free compilers.

    Ali

    Ali Cehreli, Jul 23, 2004
  4. Steve H.

    David Harmon Guest

    On 23 Jul 2004 08:37:41 -0700 in comp.lang.c++,
    (Steve H.) wrote,
    >Hi all,
    >If this NG is the wrong one, excuse me. I am thinking of learning C++
    >to write my own OS (maybe, one day, etc...). What is a really good
    >compiler for me to buy ? TIA.

    You cannot choose a compiler until you figure out what platform and
    operating system you want to produce code for. And at that point, a
    platform-specific newsgroup would be a better place for the "what
    compiler" question.

    That said, let me insert a plug for http://www.digitalmars.com

    David Harmon, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Steve H.

    JKop Guest

    David Harmon posted:

    > You cannot choose a compiler until you figure out what

    platform and
    > operating system you want to produce code for.

    ....Wha?

    He's writing an Operating System. His first concern is what
    CPU.

    -JKop

    JKop, Jul 23, 2004
  6. Steve H.

    Ash Guest

    Steve H. wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > If this NG is the wrong one, excuse me. I am thinking of learning C++
    > to write my own OS (maybe, one day, etc...). What is a really good
    > compiler for me to buy ? TIA.
    > Steve

    Try Bllodshed's Dev-C++. It's a complete IDE< so you won't have to frig
    around with command line options(BORLAND /me coffs unconvincingly).
    http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

    Ash, Jul 24, 2004
  7. Ali Cehreli wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:37:41 -0700, Steve H. wrote:
    >
    >>If this NG is the wrong one, excuse me. I am thinking of learning C++ to
    >>write my own OS (maybe, one day, etc...). What is a really good compiler
    >>for me to buy ?

    > Don't buy anything yet. Try a free compiler first: gcc for Linux; or for
    > Windows, both Borland and Microsoft have free compilers.

    GCC is available for Windows too (http://mingw.org/ and
    http://www.bloodshed.net). The advance of GCC tool chain is that it is
    available on many platforms (hardware and OS), which means that, unlike
    Borland and Microsoft, you can take your knowledge with you when you
    switch platforms.

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl