Newbie confusion?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by James Hunter Ross, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. Friends, I am a very seasoned developer, but very new to ASP.NET.
    Occasionally I get errors displayed in the browser while visiting my ASP.NET
    site:

    Compiler Error Message: CS0433: The type 'RSWEBNET.InventoryGrid' exists in
    both 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\rswebnet\420cd3b1\409a151c\App_Web_inventorygrid.aspx.cdcab7d2.x0wll1w6.dll'
    and 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\rswebnet\420cd3b1\409a151c\assembly\dl3\0d390d9e\09072fd1_062dc601\RSWebNET.DLL'

    Anyway, there is a conflict between to DLLs, I guess. Of course, I didn't
    put these DLLs into these places. I'm sure I can fix this and move on by
    simply deleting a directory or two. But my questions...

    Why do these directories exist when the "real" DLLs live under
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\RSWebNET?
    Are the mechanisms that are supped eliminate DLL-hell actually creating a
    new DLL-hell on my behalf?
    Am I missing some fundamental clues, and if so, can you refer me to an
    informative link or two?

    I sincerely appreciate any time you spend reading and responding to this. I
    hope I can help you folks at some point in the future. Thanks in advance
    for your time and words!

    James Hunter Ross

    James Hunter Ross, Mar 7, 2006

  2. James Hunter Ross

    Darren Kopp Guest

    I'm not positive where you are getting the duplicate definition's from,
    but to answer your other question, those DLL's are being created under
    those temporary directories so that ASP.NET can lock the files for use
    for the web server, but allowing you to edit the application at the
    same time. It's basically shadow copies.

    As for your your other problem, it looks like you are defining a class
    InventoryGrid in inventorygrid.aspx, and using a reference to
    RSWebNET.DLL which defines InventoryGrid as well, but it's hard to
    tell.

    Darren Kopp
    http://blog.secudocs.com/

    Darren Kopp, Mar 7, 2006