Newbie, connection timing out problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by verci, Oct 17, 2006.

  1. verci

    verci Guest

    Hi, sorry if this seems stupid :(

    I'm running WindowsXP, Asp.net 1.1 and Sql Server 2000 , the problem is the
    my pages are timing randomly, I use a ODBC connection to the database in
    the global.asa file (below), the problem is that my pages some times work
    right and some times they time out, but it is sporadically, can anybody help
    me?

    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE=VBScript RUNAT=Server>

    'EventName Description
    'Session_OnStart Runs the first time a user runs any page in your
    application
    'Session_OnEnd Runs when a user's session times out or quits your
    application
    'Application_OnStart Runs once when the first page of your application is
    run for the first time by any user
    'Application_OnEnd Runs once when the web server shuts down

    Sub Application_OnStart
    Application("strConnectString") =
    "DSN=WorkDB;Database=EspecialDB;UID=sa;PWD=!*bman~;"
    End Sub

    </SCRIPT>

    And do my work on the database using ADO.net to execute some stored
    procedures in my database with the following code:

    dim strQuery
    dim dateRS
    dim objConn, Cmd

    set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    objConn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
    objConn.Open Application("strConnectString")
    strQuery = "TimeFrame"
    Set dateRS = objConn.Execute(strQuery)

    Regards
    verci, Oct 17, 2006

  2. verci

    Steven Nagy Guest

    > I'm running WindowsXP, Asp.net 1.1 and Sql Server 2000 , the problem is the
    > my pages are timing randomly, I use a ODBC connection to the database in
    > the global.asa file (below), the problem is that my pages some times work

    Remove your connection string from the global.asa file (which doesn't
    actually exist in .NET, did you mean asax or are you actually trying to
    convert an application from ASP to ASP.NET?

    > "DSN=WorkDB;Database=EspecialDB;UID=sa;PWD=!*bman~;"

    Instead, put it in a class or module:

    public class Settings
    public readonly property ConnectionString as string
    get
    return "DSN=WorkDB;Database=EspecialDB;UID=sa;PWD=!*bman~;"
    end get
    end property
    end class

    > And do my work on the database using ADO.net to execute some stored
    > procedures in my database with the following code:
    > dim strQuery
    > dim dateRS
    > dim objConn, Cmd
    >
    > set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > objConn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
    > objConn.Open Application("strConnectString")
    > strQuery = "TimeFrame"
    > Set dateRS = objConn.Execute(strQuery)

    This looks more like old ADO, not ADO.NET.
    You need to use the System.Data.SqlClient namespace instead.
    And you need to fill a dataset, not an ado recordset.

    There's too much to answer here for you. I think you need to do some of
    the MSDN walkthroughs on using ADO.NET. Here's some classes to get you
    started:
    System.Data.Dataset
    System.Data.DataTable
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection

    Steven
    Steven Nagy, Oct 17, 2006

  3. verci

    verci Guest

    Hi

    Yes is old ADO, the company I work for has an old or original ASP system
    that needs maintenance and god only knows who was the original programmer,
    maybe in the near future I can fight to covert the whole app to asp.net,
    sorry about that snafu regardig asp.net 1.1 my bad!, ok now that we got
    things clear, regarding the time out issues that we are experiencing what
    are your thoughts? I need to stick to the actual programming style (for now)

    verci, Oct 17, 2006
  4. verci

    Steven Nagy Guest

    Ok

    Well I don't actually remember any ASP or ADO. I haven't touched it for
    years.
    This news group is for asp.net. I am sure there is a relevant ASP group
    for you to post to.

    Best of luck,
    Steven

    Steven Nagy, Oct 17, 2006
  5. Is TimeFrame an SP? You may want to see if you can optimize the stored
    procedure. In query analyzer you can "show execution plan" to see
    what's going on. If it happens sporadically there could be some
    locking going on.

    Also, set your command and recordset objects to nothing when you're
    done with them. It's possible that you're leaving the connections
    open, and the timeout is occuring because ADO is waiting for an
    available connection which never happens.

    Michael Hamrah, Oct 17, 2006
  6. verci

    verci Guest

    Hey, you were right, thanks!!!