    --
    william

    , Feb 15, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > i have a newbie dumb question
    > what kind of files are usually used as extrenal libraries for building
    > a c++ program ?

    External library is an implementation detail --- the C++ language does
    not say anything about it.

    They can be implemented as .DLL files, as .LIB files (on the Windows
    world), or .so and .a files on the Unix/Linux world. They can also
    come in the form of source code that you compile together with your
    application.

    They could also come in whatever other custom form, if we're talking
    libraries that come with some Development IDE.

    > next
    > episode of "dumb meets c++".

    Despite my nature of a teacher that would normally require me to
    find this completely wrong, self-beating, and, well, wrong, I have
    to tell you that this is *far more brilliant* than the "____ for
    Dummies" ... Good theme for books called "Dumb meets ____".
    Absolutely brilliant!! :)

    Carlos

    Carlos Moreno, Feb 15, 2007

  3. wrote in news:1171552221.130515.194720
    @k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > i have a newbie dumb question
    > what kind of files are usually used as extrenal libraries for building
    > a c++ program ?
    > does "external libraries" usually mean .dll files, is there any other
    > types? at what point of the build process are they refered to and what
    > is their role?
    > and last how to tell the conpiler where to find them?
    > the reason im asking this is that, i've been learning c++ programming
    > for a while now
    > but i have never used an "extrenal library" just c++'s standard
    > libraries.i was using borland and now i started using
    > comand line gcc for compiling but with all the compiler and linker
    > options i am lost.
    > i got a couple of questions left but i'll save them for the next
    > episode of "dumb meets c++".

    This is a very compiler/OS-specific question. On Windows, you usually
    link against .lib files regardless of whether you're using a DLL. If
    you use DLLs, there's an "import library." With gcc on Windows, I'm
    not sure what kinds of fancy stuff Cygwin does. On Linux, gcc links
    ...a files for static builds and .so files for shared-object (like DLL
    builds).

    The compiler has standard places to look, again dependent on the
    environment. Microsoft and Linux have standard environment variables.
    Borland probably plays nice with Microsoft. There are command-line
    options (ultimately) that allow explicit additional locations.

    For the details for your specific configuration, check the compiler
    documentation.

    W. J. La Cholter, Feb 16, 2007