Newbie: Deploying/Publishing Web Site and Registering Domain Name

PeterOut

I have developed some web pages using XHTML. I also have a css file.
They are all in the same directory on my PC and I can load them
locally and link among them with my FireFox browser. However it is
all local to my PC. I would now like to deploy it to the web so
anyone can access it. Actually I do not know the difference between
deploying and publishing.

I got this special with Yahoo, back in 2006, for registering a domain
name and having web and email for 5 years so it expires this coming
January. I only recently tried to do anything with it and I have not
seen how to set up a web page other than with this tool they have for
a single page. I would like to find the best value for registering a
domain name and setting up a web site with multiple pages and email
that I can modify by modifying the xhtml and css files that are stored
on my hard drive.

I know virtually nothing about how to do this and would greatly value
any advice.

Many thanks in advance,
Peter.

idle

[...]

Step 1
Buy domain name.
Step 2
Buy hosting.
Step 3
Point nameservers at domain registrar to those given you by host.
Step 4
FTP files to public_html directory of your hosts given space.

dorayme

Step 1
Buy domain name.

You can get a .com domain name for as little as $Aust9 per year,
a .com.au for $Aust12
Step 2
Buy hosting.

Many at less than $Aust4 per month.
Step 3
Point nameservers at domain registrar to those given you by host.

Step 4
FTP files to public_html directory of your hosts given space.

There are free FTP programs, there is an add-on (FireFTP) to the
Firefox browser

David Segall

PeterOut said:
[...]

I have written some notes on part of this topic -
<http://cheapweb.profectus.com.au>. They aims to separate the three
concepts of registering a domain name, managing a domain name, and
hosting a domain name. I am reliably informed that they are
incomprehensible so I would value your (and any other) comments on how
to improve it. You have currently assigned all three roles to Yahoo
and your easiest option is to pay to continue this but my notes are
intended to guide you towards "best value".

My notes do not cover how to transfer your data to your domain name
host if you do not want to host the site on your own computer. I use
Dreamweaver (there is a free trial) which includes a "New Site" wizard
that will guide through the set up process and show you how to
transfer your files. I'm sure most of the free web development
programs have a similar feature. Once you learn what is required you
can use something like Filezilla to do the transfer.

PeterOut

Step 1
Buy domain name.
Step 2
Buy hosting.
Step 3
Point nameservers at domain registrar to those given you by host.
Step 4
FTP files to public_html directory of your hosts given space.

Thank you very much for your reply and please excuse my own tardy
response. I got sidetracked by a job search that is now completed.

Would you recommend buying a domain name with Yahoo here
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/pricing ? I noticed that
dorayme mentioned that one could get a .com domain name for A$9 p.a.
which would be less than Yahoo's US$10 obviously but not much
difference. Also, from what David was saying, US$10 is at the low end
price-wise. My main concern is whether there would be any strings
attached.

Thanks again,
Peter.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed PeterOut
Thank you very much for your reply and please excuse my own tardy
response. I got sidetracked by a job search that is now completed.

Would you recommend buying a domain name with Yahoo here
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/pricing ? I noticed that
dorayme mentioned that one could get a .com domain name for A$9 p.a.
which would be less than Yahoo's US$10 obviously but not much
difference. Also, from what David was saying, US$10 is at the low end
price-wise. My main concern is whether there would be any strings
attached.

Thanks again,
Peter.

Personally, I would never buy a domain name with Yahoo. Yahoo has great
mail, and a great search engine, and is a great portal. They do not
make a great domain registrar. Getting an answer from them on the phone
is tedious, and email may not give the right answer.

I would also never host with them. Currently, they are still using PHP
4.3.11 (PHP is up to 5.3.2) and last time I checked, Registered Globals
were still enabled. I was told at one point that they were not going to
be upgrading for SECURITY reasons. They also do not allow .htaccess for
the same reason. I have a post about this
[http://my.opera.com/arbpen/blog/2009/09/19/another-day-in-hell-with-
yahoo]. I had used one of their support forms to email them, and guess
what? To this day, I have never gotten a response.

Yes, I would definately look elsewhere. GoDaddy has it's issues, but I
have never had a problem with them, and they do a lot of things for no
cost, such as domain forwarding with no nasty frames.