Newbie: Deploying/Publishing Web Site and Registering Domain Name

Discussion in 'HTML' started by PeterOut, Jun 17, 2010.

  1. PeterOut

    PeterOut Guest

    I have developed some web pages using XHTML. I also have a css file.
    They are all in the same directory on my PC and I can load them
    locally and link among them with my FireFox browser. However it is
    all local to my PC. I would now like to deploy it to the web so
    anyone can access it. Actually I do not know the difference between
    deploying and publishing.

    I got this special with Yahoo, back in 2006, for registering a domain
    name and having web and email for 5 years so it expires this coming
    January. I only recently tried to do anything with it and I have not
    seen how to set up a web page other than with this tool they have for
    a single page. I would like to find the best value for registering a
    domain name and setting up a web site with multiple pages and email
    that I can modify by modifying the xhtml and css files that are stored
    on my hard drive.

    I know virtually nothing about how to do this and would greatly value
    any advice.

    Many thanks in advance,
    Peter.

    PeterOut, Jun 17, 2010

  2. PeterOut

    idle Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:46:07 -0700 (PDT), PeterOut wrote in alt.html:

    > I have developed some web pages using XHTML. I also have a css file.
    > They are all in the same directory on my PC and I can load them
    > locally and link among them with my FireFox browser. However it is
    > all local to my PC. I would now like to deploy it to the web so
    > anyone can access it. Actually I do not know the difference between
    > deploying and publishing.
    >
    > I got this special with Yahoo, back in 2006, for registering a domain
    > name and having web and email for 5 years so it expires this coming
    > January. I only recently tried to do anything with it and I have not
    > seen how to set up a web page other than with this tool they have for
    > a single page. I would like to find the best value for registering a
    > domain name and setting up a web site with multiple pages and email
    > that I can modify by modifying the xhtml and css files that are stored
    > on my hard drive.
    >
    > I know virtually nothing about how to do this and would greatly value
    > any advice.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > Peter.

    Step 1
    Buy domain name.
    Step 2
    Buy hosting.
    Step 3
    Point nameservers at domain registrar to those given you by host.
    Step 4
    FTP files to public_html directory of your hosts given space.

    --
    Double parked on the corner of Null and Void.

    idle, Jun 17, 2010

  3. PeterOut

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    idle <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:46:07 -0700 (PDT), PeterOut wrote in alt.html:
    >
    > > ... I would like to find the best value for registering a
    > > domain name and setting up a web site with multiple pages and email
    > > that I can modify by modifying the xhtml and css files that are stored
    > > on my hard drive.
    > >
    > > I know virtually nothing about how to do this and would greatly value
    > > any advice.
    > >

    > Step 1
    > Buy domain name.

    You can get a .com domain name for as little as $Aust9 per year,
    a .com.au for $Aust12

    > Step 2
    > Buy hosting.

    Many at less than $Aust4 per month.

    > Step 3
    > Point nameservers at domain registrar to those given you by host.

    > Step 4
    > FTP files to public_html directory of your hosts given space.

    There are free FTP programs, there is an add-on (FireFTP) to the
    Firefox browser

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 17, 2010
  4. PeterOut

    David Segall Guest

    PeterOut <> wrote:

    >I have developed some web pages using XHTML. I also have a css file.
    >They are all in the same directory on my PC and I can load them
    >locally and link among them with my FireFox browser. However it is
    >all local to my PC. I would now like to deploy it to the web so
    >anyone can access it. Actually I do not know the difference between
    >deploying and publishing.
    >
    >I got this special with Yahoo, back in 2006, for registering a domain
    >name and having web and email for 5 years so it expires this coming
    >January. I only recently tried to do anything with it and I have not
    >seen how to set up a web page other than with this tool they have for
    >a single page. I would like to find the best value for registering a
    >domain name and setting up a web site with multiple pages and email
    >that I can modify by modifying the xhtml and css files that are stored
    >on my hard drive.

    I have written some notes on part of this topic -
    <http://cheapweb.profectus.com.au>. They aims to separate the three
    concepts of registering a domain name, managing a domain name, and
    hosting a domain name. I am reliably informed that they are
    incomprehensible so I would value your (and any other) comments on how
    to improve it. You have currently assigned all three roles to Yahoo
    and your easiest option is to pay to continue this but my notes are
    intended to guide you towards "best value".

    My notes do not cover how to transfer your data to your domain name
    host if you do not want to host the site on your own computer. I use
    Dreamweaver (there is a free trial) which includes a "New Site" wizard
    that will guide through the set up process and show you how to
    transfer your files. I'm sure most of the free web development
    programs have a similar feature. Once you learn what is required you
    can use something like Filezilla to do the transfer.

    David Segall, Jun 18, 2010
  5. PeterOut

    PeterOut Guest

    On Jun 16, 8:02 pm, idle <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:46:07 -0700 (PDT), PeterOut wrote in alt.html:
    >

    > > I have developed some web pages using XHTML.  I also have a css file.
    > > They are all in the same directory on my PC and I can load them
    > > locally and link among them with my FireFox browser.  However it is
    > > all local to my PC.  I would now like to deploy it to the web so
    > > anyone can access it.  Actually I do not know the difference between
    > > deploying and publishing.

    > > I got this special with Yahoo, back in 2006, for registering a domain
    > > name and having web and email for 5 years so it expires this coming
    > > January.  I only recently tried to do anything with it and I have not
    > > seen how to set up a web page other than with this tool they have for
    > > a single page.  I would like to find the best value for registering a
    > > domain name and setting up a web site with multiple pages and email
    > > that I can modify by modifying the xhtml and css files that are stored
    > > on my hard drive.

    > > I know virtually nothing about how to do this and would greatly value
    > > any advice.

    > > Many thanks in advance,
    > > Peter.

    > Step 1
    > Buy domain name.
    > Step 2
    > Buy hosting.
    > Step 3
    > Point nameservers at domain registrar to those given you by host.
    > Step 4
    > FTP files to public_html directory of your hosts given space.
    >
    > --
    > Double parked on the corner of Null and Void.

    Thank you very much for your reply and please excuse my own tardy
    response. I got sidetracked by a job search that is now completed.

    Would you recommend buying a domain name with Yahoo here
    http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/pricing ? I noticed that
    dorayme mentioned that one could get a .com domain name for A$9 p.a.
    which would be less than Yahoo's US$10 obviously but not much
    difference. Also, from what David was saying, US$10 is at the low end
    price-wise. My main concern is whether there would be any strings
    attached.

    Thanks again,
    Peter.

    PeterOut, Jul 3, 2010
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed PeterOut
    <> writing in news:0ceddf1a-31e4-419d-ab35-
    :

    > On Jun 16, 8:02 pm, idle <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:46:07 -0700 (PDT), PeterOut wrote in alt.html:
    >>

    >> > I have developed some web pages using XHTML.  I also have a css

    file.
    >> > They are all in the same directory on my PC and I can load them
    >> > locally and link among them with my FireFox browser.  However it is
    >> > all local to my PC.  I would now like to deploy it to the web so
    >> > anyone can access it.  Actually I do not know the difference

    between
    >> > deploying and publishing.

    >> > I got this special with Yahoo, back in 2006, for registering a

    domain
    >> > name and having web and email for 5 years so it expires this coming
    >> > January.  I only recently tried to do anything with it and I have

    not
    >> > seen how to set up a web page other than with this tool they have

    for
    >> > a single page.  I would like to find the best value for registering

    >> > domain name and setting up a web site with multiple pages and email
    >> > that I can modify by modifying the xhtml and css files that are

    stored
    >> > on my hard drive.

    >> > I know virtually nothing about how to do this and would greatly

    value
    >> > any advice.

    >> > Many thanks in advance,
    >> > Peter.

    >> Step 1
    >> Buy domain name.
    >> Step 2
    >> Buy hosting.
    >> Step 3
    >> Point nameservers at domain registrar to those given you by host.
    >> Step 4
    >> FTP files to public_html directory of your hosts given space.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Double parked on the corner of Null and Void.

    > Thank you very much for your reply and please excuse my own tardy
    > response. I got sidetracked by a job search that is now completed.
    >
    > Would you recommend buying a domain name with Yahoo here
    > http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/pricing ? I noticed that
    > dorayme mentioned that one could get a .com domain name for A$9 p.a.
    > which would be less than Yahoo's US$10 obviously but not much
    > difference. Also, from what David was saying, US$10 is at the low end
    > price-wise. My main concern is whether there would be any strings
    > attached.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Peter.

    Personally, I would never buy a domain name with Yahoo. Yahoo has great
    mail, and a great search engine, and is a great portal. They do not
    make a great domain registrar. Getting an answer from them on the phone
    is tedious, and email may not give the right answer.

    I would also never host with them. Currently, they are still using PHP
    4.3.11 (PHP is up to 5.3.2) and last time I checked, Registered Globals
    were still enabled. I was told at one point that they were not going to
    be upgrading for SECURITY reasons. They also do not allow .htaccess for
    the same reason. I have a post about this
    [http://my.opera.com/arbpen/blog/2009/09/19/another-day-in-hell-with-
    yahoo]. I had used one of their support forms to email them, and guess
    what? To this day, I have never gotten a response.

    Yes, I would definately look elsewhere. GoDaddy has it's issues, but I
    have never had a problem with them, and they do a lot of things for no
    cost, such as domain forwarding with no nasty frames.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jul 4, 2010