Newbie: Developing drop down menus for website - where do I start?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Tester, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. Tester

    Tester Guest

    Hello there,

    In summary:
    Any good websites / resources that explain how to develop cross browser
    compatible, drop down menus (in JavaScript I assume) for my website.

    In detail:

    I would like to implement the drop down menus that seem to be getting more
    and more popular on websites. Whilst an experienced programmer with basic
    experience in JavaScript and DHTML, I am not sure how one would go about
    creating drop down menus.

    My searched on the internet have got me looking at two options,
    1. Buy some package that generates them for me such as:
    http://software.xfx.net/utilities/dmbuilder/

    2. Learn how to do them myself from scratch using code resources that are
    available on the web such as:
    http://www.aspandjavascript.co.uk/javascript/drop_down_menu_tutorial_version_2/default.asp

    My problem is that I am limited on time and I was beginning to think that
    spending time learning how to use the package might take just as long to
    find some free code and learn how to implement it myself. But I am at a bit
    of a loss with regard to placement of the menus and have so far only
    implemented HTML websites with JavaScript for functional purposes (E.g.
    verification etc.).

    Any help would be greatly appreciated even if you point me to a more
    appropriate Newsgroup.

    Kind regards,

    Dave

    Tester, Dec 23, 2004

  2. Tester

    Guest

    Find a page that has one and rip the code off.

    Just be sure the main links (the top ones you see before the menu
    expands down) are clickable to their own pages where those dropdown
    menu items will be for those with JS disabled.

    I'm personally against these JS menus since they cut down on banner
    views on the gateway pages, thus ad revneue.

    , Dec 23, 2004

  3. Tester

    Tester Guest

    > Find a page that has one and rip the code off.
    >
    > Just be sure the main links (the top ones you see before the menu
    > expands down) are clickable to their own pages where those dropdown
    > menu items will be for those with JS disabled.

    Hmmm, I did try this but found that the code seemed to access many different
    files and so I never had the complete code. Any examples of a page where I
    could copy the code and then customise it with my own links.

    Regards

    Dave

    Tester, Dec 23, 2004
  4. Tester

    Richard Guest

    Tester wrote:

    > Hello there,

    > In summary:
    > Any good websites / resources that explain how to develop cross browser
    > compatible, drop down menus (in JavaScript I assume) for my website.

    > In detail:

    > I would like to implement the drop down menus that seem to be getting more
    > and more popular on websites. Whilst an experienced programmer with basic
    > experience in JavaScript and DHTML, I am not sure how one would go about
    > creating drop down menus.

    > My searched on the internet have got me looking at two options,
    > 1. Buy some package that generates them for me such as:
    > http://software.xfx.net/utilities/dmbuilder/

    > 2. Learn how to do them myself from scratch using code resources that are
    > available on the web such as:
    > http://www.aspandjavascript.co.uk/javascript/drop_down_menu_tutorial_versi
    > on_2/default.asp

    > My problem is that I am limited on time and I was beginning to think that
    > spending time learning how to use the package might take just as long to
    > find some free code and learn how to implement it myself. But I am at a
    > bit of a loss with regard to placement of the menus and have so far only
    > implemented HTML websites with JavaScript for functional purposes (E.g.
    > verification etc.).

    > Any help would be greatly appreciated even if you point me to a more
    > appropriate Newsgroup.

    > Kind regards,

    > Dave

    www.dynamicdrive.com
    www.hotscripts.com

    Actually, a good editor will have the "combo box" menu script already to
    apply.
    The problem is, deciding what exactly it is you want to do with it.

    Richard, Dec 23, 2004
  5. Tester

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Dec 23, 2004
  6. Tester

    Alan Cole Guest

    In article <41ca159a$>,
    "Tester" <SPAM FREE WORLD> wrote:

    > Hello there,
    >
    > In summary:
    > Any good websites / resources that explain how to develop cross browser
    > compatible, drop down menus (in JavaScript I assume) for my website.
    >
    > In detail:
    >
    > I would like to implement the drop down menus that seem to be getting more
    > and more popular on websites. Whilst an experienced programmer with basic
    > experience in JavaScript and DHTML, I am not sure how one would go about
    > creating drop down menus.
    >
    > My searched on the internet have got me looking at two options,
    > 1. Buy some package that generates them for me such as:
    > http://software.xfx.net/utilities/dmbuilder/
    >
    > 2. Learn how to do them myself from scratch using code resources that are
    > available on the web such as:
    > http://www.aspandjavascript.co.uk/javascript/drop_down_menu_tutorial_version_2
    > /default.asp
    >
    > My problem is that I am limited on time and I was beginning to think that
    > spending time learning how to use the package might take just as long to
    > find some free code and learn how to implement it myself. But I am at a bit
    > of a loss with regard to placement of the menus and have so far only
    > implemented HTML websites with JavaScript for functional purposes (E.g.
    > verification etc.).
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated even if you point me to a more
    > appropriate Newsgroup.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Dave

    http://javascript.cooldev.com/scripts/coolmenu/

    Al.

    --
    Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
    http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]

    Alan Cole, Dec 23, 2004
  7. Tester

    aakaab Guest

    one more javascript menu to consider
    http://www.codethat.com/javascript-menu.html

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Tester wrote:
    >
    > > Any good websites / resources that explain how to develop cross

    browser
    > > compatible, drop down menus (in JavaScript I assume) for my

    website.

    > The Netscape DevEdge menus were the best, but DevEdge has closed

    down.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20031203...cape.com/viewsource/2003/devedge-redesign-js/

    aakaab, Dec 23, 2004
  8. On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:00:10 -0600, Richard <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    [snip]

    > www.dynamicdrive.com

    Unless things have changed since I looked a few months ago, the menu
    scripts there shouldn't be used on the Web. None of them provides adequate
    degradation if scripting or CSS isn't available.

    > www.hotscripts.com

    There are too many to check there but from what I saw of the first few, I
    don't hold out much hope.

    > Actually, a good editor will have the "combo box" menu script already to
    > apply.

    What's an editor got to do with that?

    [snip]

    Mike

    Please trim your quotations.

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, Dec 23, 2004
  9. On 23 Dec 2004 01:18:08 -0800, aakaab <> wrote:

    > one more javascript menu to consider
    > http://www.codethat.com/javascript-menu.html

    From what I can see, it's useless without scripting support so it's
    suitability for the Web is in question.

    [snip]

    Mike

    Please don't top post, and trim your quotations.

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, Dec 23, 2004
  10. RE/
    >dequate
    >degradation if scripting or CSS isn't available.

    CSS not available?!!!!

    That sure got my attention as a noob developer.

    I had been going on the assumptin that CSS was the good-right-and-holy path and
    that everything possible sb pushed up to a .CSS file.

    Am I on the wrong track?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 23, 2004
  11. Tester

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:17:40 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <> wrote:

    > RE/
    >> dequate
    >> degradation if scripting or CSS isn't available.

    > CSS not available?!!!!
    >
    > That sure got my attention as a noob developer.
    >
    > I had been going on the assumptin that CSS was the good-right-and-holy
    > path and
    > that everything possible sb pushed up to a .CSS file.
    >
    > Am I on the wrong track?

    Not necessarily.

    Most users will see HTML and CSS. Some users, however, do not get any of
    the CSS, just the HTML. These users include search engine bots, UAs which
    do not do CSS at all, or UAs from which you've hidden the CSS to avoid
    unfixable bugs.

    This is why it's important to provide well-structured valid HTML first and
    foremost. Everything else is optional for the user.

    I look at it this way: if I were to turn off image loading, CSS,
    Javascript, and any other plugin, and view just the HTML, I should be left
    with a visually spartan but fully functioning page.

    Neal, Dec 23, 2004
  12. On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:17:40 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <> wrote:

    > RE/
    >> dequate
    >> degradation if scripting or CSS isn't available.

    > CSS not available?!!!!
    >
    > That sure got my attention as a noob developer.

    CSS is not available to text browsers (like Lynx), to speech browsers or
    braille browsers, to the Googlebot ;-)

    Just examples. Style with CSS but don't make the functionality of anything on
    your site or of the site itself depend on it. Like with client side scripts et
    cetera. Much the same.

    --
    ,------------- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: --------------.
    | weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |

    Barbara de Zoete, Dec 23, 2004
  13. In article <41ca159a$>, "Tester" <SPAM FREE
    WORLD> says...
    > Hello there,
    >
    > In summary:
    > Any good websites / resources that explain how to develop cross browser
    > compatible, drop down menus (in JavaScript I assume) for my website.
    >
    > In detail:
    >
    > I would like to implement the drop down menus that seem to be getting more
    > and more popular on websites. Whilst an experienced programmer with basic
    > experience in JavaScript and DHTML, I am not sure how one would go about
    > creating drop down menus.
    >
    > My searched on the internet have got me looking at two options,
    > 1. Buy some package that generates them for me such as:
    > http://software.xfx.net/utilities/dmbuilder/

    Buy it. It's excellent, but when you implement your menus make sure you
    have a non-JavaScript method of navigation, too.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 23, 2004
  14. In article <>, says...
    > RE/
    > >dequate
    > >degradation if scripting or CSS isn't available.

    > CSS not available?!!!!
    >
    > That sure got my attention as a noob developer.
    >
    > I had been going on the assumptin that CSS was the good-right-and-holy path and
    > that everything possible sb pushed up to a .CSS file.
    >
    > Am I on the wrong track?

    May be. Ignore anything and everything that Richard (the Stupid,
    Anonymous@127.001) says and you'll soon be back on it.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 23, 2004
  15. On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:17:40 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <> wrote:

    [MW:]
    >> [...] scripting or CSS isn't available.

    > CSS not available?!!!!
    >
    > That sure got my attention as a noob developer.
    >
    > I had been going on the assumptin that CSS was the good-right-and-holy
    > path and that everything possible sb pushed up to a .CSS file.

    Perhaps that was phrased badly, however your page shouldn't become
    unusable just because someone overrode your stylesheet or some styles
    weren't applied for whatever reason.

    I'm not saying such circumstances will be common amongst your users; it's
    (relatively) rare just like the lack of client-side scripting support.
    However, a well-written document should be able to cope with this
    situation. After all, both client-side scripting and CSS are optional.

    [snip]

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter