newbie - Does IDLE care about sitecustomize.py?

Discussion in 'Python' started by bobueland@yahoo.com, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have the following test script in the file customize.py

    # C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\sitecustomize.py
    print "test text from sitecustomize"

    If start Python from command prompt I get

    C:\Python24>python
    test in sitecustomize
    Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
    on win32

    which shows that sitecustomize.py works

    Now if I start IDLE I only get

    IDLE 1.1.1

    which shows that that IDLE doesn't care about sitecustomize.py

    Am I missing something or how do you customize if you are using IDLE?

    , Nov 16, 2005

    Could you figure this out?

    On Wednesday, November 16, 2005 10:37:09 PM UTC+8, wrote:
    > I have the following test script in the file customize.py
    >
    > # C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\sitecustomize.py
    > print "test text from sitecustomize"
    >
    > If start Python from command prompt I get
    >
    > C:\Python24>python
    > test in sitecustomize
    > Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
    > on win32
    >
    > which shows that sitecustomize.py works
    >

    > Now if I start IDLE I only get
    >
    > IDLE 1.1.1
    > >>>

    > which shows that that IDLE doesn't care about sitecustomize.py
    >
    > Am I missing something or how do you customize if you are using IDLE?

    , Mar 22, 2014

  3. On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 12:41 AM, <> wrote:
    > Could you figure this out?
    >
    > On Wednesday, November 16, 2005 10:37:09 PM UTC+8, wrote:
    >> [ chomp ]

    You're responding to a decade-old post, you're posting from Google
    Groups, and you haven't added any information to the thread at all.
    The original post was talking about Python 2.4, which is well and
    truly out of support (unless you're running RHEL5), so the very first
    thing you should do is see if there's still a corresponding issue with
    a current version of Python. The next thing to do is to make sure you
    don't offend with form (always offend people with substance, it's more
    satisfying), so either don't use Google Groups, or clean up what you
    post so it comes out looking correct. And following the standard
    interleaved style, rather than top-posting, will also help.

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, Mar 22, 2014
  4. Terry Reedy Guest

    On 3/22/2014 9:41 AM, wrote:
    > Could you figure this out?
    >
    > On Wednesday, November 16, 2005 10:37:09 PM UTC+8, wrote:
    >> I have the following test script in the file customize.py
    >>
    >> # C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\sitecustomize.py
    >> print "test text from sitecustomize"
    >>
    >> If start Python from command prompt I get
    >>
    >> C:\Python24>python
    >> test in sitecustomize
    >> Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
    >> on win32

    Note: running on Windows

    >> which shows that sitecustomize.py works
    >>

    >> Now if I start IDLE I only get
    >>
    >> IDLE 1.1.1

    On Windows, the default mode of running Idle is without a console
    window, with pythonw.exe. Site.py and sitecustomize.py are run before
    anything else and any output is discarded. I propose to note this where
    sitecustomize.py is explained.

    http://bugs.python.org/issue21026

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy