newbie - Does IDLE care about sitecustomize.py?

bobueland

I have the following test script in the file customize.py

# C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\sitecustomize.py
print "test text from sitecustomize"

If start Python from command prompt I get

C:\Python24>python
test in sitecustomize
Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32

which shows that sitecustomize.py works

Now if I start IDLE I only get

IDLE 1.1.1
which shows that that IDLE doesn't care about sitecustomize.py

Am I missing something or how do you customize if you are using IDLE?

vikram.denizen

Could you figure this out?

I have the following test script in the file customize.py

# C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\sitecustomize.py
print "test text from sitecustomize"

If start Python from command prompt I get

C:\Python24>python
test in sitecustomize
Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32

which shows that sitecustomize.py works

Now if I start IDLE I only get

IDLE 1.1.1
which shows that that IDLE doesn't care about sitecustomize.py

Am I missing something or how do you customize if you are using IDLE?

Chris Angelico

Could you figure this out?

[ chomp ]

You're responding to a decade-old post, you're posting from Google
Groups, and you haven't added any information to the thread at all.
The original post was talking about Python 2.4, which is well and
truly out of support (unless you're running RHEL5), so the very first
thing you should do is see if there's still a corresponding issue with
a current version of Python. The next thing to do is to make sure you
don't offend with form (always offend people with substance, it's more
satisfying), so either don't use Google Groups, or clean up what you
post so it comes out looking correct. And following the standard
interleaved style, rather than top-posting, will also help.

ChrisA

Terry Reedy

Could you figure this out?

I have the following test script in the file customize.py

# C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\sitecustomize.py
print "test text from sitecustomize"

If start Python from command prompt I get

C:\Python24>python
test in sitecustomize
Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32

Note: running on Windows

On Windows, the default mode of running Idle is without a console
window, with pythonw.exe. Site.py and sitecustomize.py are run before
anything else and any output is discarded. I propose to note this where
sitecustomize.py is explained.

http://bugs.python.org/issue21026