    not installed?

    Thanks
    /j

    Jeff W, Oct 19, 2003

  2. "Jeff W" <> wrote
    > Question: Is it possible to create WIN32 Perl scripts and
    > "compile" them so that they will run places where Perl is
    > not installed?

    Sure! Check out http://www.indigostar.com/perl2exe.htm :)

    Alternately, you can add c:\Program Files\Perl\bin (if this is where you
    chose to install PERL) to your %PATH% variable so that you can type "perl
    somefile.pl" at any prompt and it will run.

    Good luck!

    Experienced but Undocumented, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Jeff W

    Bob X Guest

    "Jeff W" <> wrote in message
    > Hi - I've been coming up on Perl at work in a UNIX environment.
    > I downloaded Active Perl onto my PC to play with it there.
    >
    > Question: Is it possible to create WIN32 Perl scripts and
    > "compile" them so that they will run places where Perl is
    > not installed?
    >
    > Thanks
    > /j

    Look at "Par"

    Bob X, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Jeff W

    Jeff W Guest

    I found par and pp, but not as part of ActivePerl - am I missing
    something here - is this really an easy thing to do? (i want to write a
    phonebook program, and I'm not a professional programmer)

    thanks
    /j

    Jeff W, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Jeff W

    Bob X Guest

    "Jeff W" <> wrote in message
    > I found par and pp, but not as part of ActivePerl - am I missing
    > something here - is this really an easy thing to do? (i want to write a
    > phonebook program, and I'm not a professional programmer)
    >
    > thanks
    > /j
    >
    > Bob X wrote:
    >
    > >"Jeff W" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi - I've been coming up on Perl at work in a UNIX environment.
    > >> I downloaded Active Perl onto my PC to play with it there.
    > >>
    > >> Question: Is it possible to create WIN32 Perl scripts and
    > >> "compile" them so that they will run places where Perl is
    > >> not installed?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >> /j
    > >>

    > >Look at "Par"

    Use PPM and do a search for PAR. Get the latest. I use the latest 5.8.0 from
    ActiveState and I have Par .75 installed. I have created exe files using it.
    Be aware that even your 50K script will at about 1MB because of the Perl
    files it needs to run independantly.

    If you need more help let me know. : )

    Bob X, Oct 20, 2003
  6. Jeff W

    ko Guest

    Jeff W <> wrote in message news:<>...

    [snip to bottom]

    > Bob X wrote:
    >
    > >"Jeff W" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi - I've been coming up on Perl at work in a UNIX environment.
    > >> I downloaded Active Perl onto my PC to play with it there.
    > >>
    > >> Question: Is it possible to create WIN32 Perl scripts and
    > >> "compile" them so that they will run places where Perl is
    > >> not installed?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >> /j
    > >>

    > >Look at "Par"
    > >

    > I found par and pp, but not as part of ActivePerl - am I missing
    > something here - is this really an easy thing to do? (i want to write a
    > phonebook program, and I'm not a professional programmer)
    >
    > thanks
    > /j

    You need to install it using ActiveState's ppm program. From the Windows shell:

    ppm
    search par*
    install par

    'perldoc ppm' for all the details.

    Also, please take a look at the posting guidelines for the group:

    http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc.shtml

    Top posting is not cool here...

    HTH - keith

    ko, Oct 20, 2003
  7. Jeff W

    Jeff W Guest

    Hi ko - I'd like to understand your comment here - but I don't know what
    "top posting " is - could you fill me in? If I committed a faux pas I'd
    like to understand it.
    thanks
    /j

    Jeff W, Oct 20, 2003
  8. Jeff W

    Sam Holden Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:42:13 -0400, Jeff W <> wrote:
    > Hi ko - I'd like to understand your comment here - but I don't know what
    > "top posting " is - could you fill me in? If I committed a faux pas I'd
    > like to understand it.

    Though it isn't labelled "top posting", see the section headed
    "Use an effective followup style" in the guidelines at the URL you
    were pointed in the previous message (which I've left below).

    > ko wrote:
    >
    >>http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc.shtml

    Note, this posting isn't an example of "top posting", your post was.
    See the difference? :)

    --
    Sam Holden

    Sam Holden, Oct 20, 2003
  9. Jeff W

    Jeff W Guest

    Sam Holden wrote:

    >Though it isn't labelled "top posting", see the section headed
    >"Use an effective followup style" in the guidelines at the URL you
    >were pointed in the previous message (which I've left below).

    ok - got it - guess it's a personal style thing - i hate scrolling to
    the bottom so I assume others do too.
    Point noted.
    /j

    Jeff W, Oct 20, 2003
  10. Jeff W <> wrote:
    > Sam Holden wrote:
    >> Though it isn't labelled "top posting", see the section headed
    >> "Use an effective followup style" in the guidelines

    > ok - got it - guess it's a personal style thing

    It's more of a "When in Rome" thing.

    > i hate scrolling to the bottom so I assume others do too.

    Oh, but they do. That's why you're also going to trim the text,
    quoting only enough to place your response in context.

    --
    Steve

    Steve Grazzini, Oct 20, 2003
  11. Jeff W

    Bart Lateur Guest

    Jeff W wrote:

    >Question: Is it possible to create WIN32 Perl scripts and
    >"compile" them so that they will run places where Perl is
    >not installed?

    Yes. There's PerlApp and perl2exe, both not free (though not too
    expensive if this is for professional use), and there is PAR. For the
    latter, see CPAN.

    <http://search.cpan.org/~autrijus/PAR-0.75/>

    --
    Bart.

    Bart Lateur, Oct 20, 2003
  12. Jeff W

    Bart Lateur Guest

    Jeff W wrote:

    >i hate scrolling to
    >the bottom so I assume others do too.

    I hate puzzling the dialog back together.

    --
    Bart.

    Bart Lateur, Oct 20, 2003
  13. Jeff W wrote:

    > Sam Holden wrote:
    >

    >>Though it isn't labelled "top posting", see the section headed
    >>"Use an effective followup style" in the guidelines at the URL you
    >>were pointed in the previous message (which I've left below).
    >>

    > ok - got it - guess it's a personal style thing - i hate scrolling to
    > the bottom so I assume others do too.
    > Point noted.

    You can satisfy both needs (and should, in fact). Bottom post so
    people can follow the conversation. Prune the quoted section of
    whatever is not directly related to your reply (but leave enough
    to provide context) so people don't have to scroll down to see
    your reply.

    Chris Mattern

    Chris Mattern, Oct 20, 2003
  14. Jeff W

    Jeff W Guest

    Never has so much been written about so ltitle 8-}

    PS - interesting tidbit - I own my own domain, and to protect against
    spam I created a new Email address to post to this group. Within <1
    hour> of my posting I started receiving SPAM to the new Email address. -
    scary.

    I think we're done here 8-}
    /j

    Jeff W, Oct 21, 2003