Newbie: fixed and not-empty element

Discussion in 'XML' started by monique, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. monique

    monique Guest

    Hi,

    I have an enumeration and I would like to fix the value of an element.

    A thing like this

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <test>
    <single-value>aaa</single-value>
    </test>

    with the schema:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>

    <xs:element name="test">
    <xs:complexType>
    <xs:sequence>
    <xs:element name="single-value"
    type="single-value-type" fixed="aaa" maxOccurs="unbounded" />
    </xs:sequence>
    </xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>

    <xs:simpleType name="single-value-type">
    <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
    <xs:enumeration value="aaa" />
    <xs:enumeration value="bbb" />
    <xs:enumeration value="ccc" />
    </xs:restriction>
    </xs:simpleType>
    </xs:schema>

    the example validates against the schema and so do this:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <test>
    <single-value/>
    <single-value>aaa</single-value>
    </test>

    I don't want an empty single-value.
    What can I do ?

    This example

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <test>
    <single-value/>
    <single-value>aaa</single-value>
    <single-value>bbb</single-value>
    <single-value>ccc</single-value>
    </test>

    doesn't validate on bbb and ccc, just as I need.
    I would like to get the same on <single-value/>.

    Thanks in advance,

    Monique

    monique, Jan 25, 2006

  2. When an element value is absent, "fixed" acts as "default".

    --
    Stan Kitsis
    Program Manager, XML Technologies

    Stan Kitsis [MSFT], Jan 26, 2006

  3. monique

    George Bina Guest

    You can use a restriction of your type to that single value:

    <xs:element name="single-value" maxOccurs="unbounded">
    <xs:simpleType>
    <xs:restriction base="single-value-type">
    <xs:enumeration value="aaa"/>
    </xs:restriction>
    </xs:simpleType>
    </xs:element>