[newbie] GTK+/QT/Tkinter ?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alexandre Rogers, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. Hi everyone !

    I am beginner in Python, and it is, so far, the best programming
    language I've seen (apart, perhaps, from Java, but the official release
    is not open source, so it is a bit difficult for redistribution).

    I'm working on a (personal) project and I need a GUI, which needs to be
    portable (I run a Linux system and I'd like my program to run on
    Windows, at least).

    I first thought of Qt with Eric and Qt designer, but it is not portable
    (for free).
    Then GTK. Looks great (with Glade) but is it really portable or not ?

    I know a bit about Tkinter, which I like although it is not the most
    attractive.
    Is there an IDE/GUI builder for Tkinter ?

    Many thanks in advance,

    Alex

    PS : If you want to email me, my user nam is 'cyberalex' and the domain
    name is 'tiscali.fr'.

    Alexandre Rogers, Nov 7, 2003

  2. In article <bogihl$7a3$>,
    Alexandre Rogers <> wrote:
    .
    .
    .
    >Is there an IDE/GUI builder for Tkinter ?

    .
    .
    .
    "Idle is the Python IDE built with the Tkinter GUI toolkit." It's
    part of the standard distribution.

    There are several others. Apparently there's not yet a Wiki page
    dedicated to the topic, though there should be.
    --

    Cameron Laird <>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

    Cameron Laird, Nov 7, 2003

  3. Alexandre Rogers

    Tim Ronning Guest

    PÃ¥ Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:51:11 +0100, skrev Alexandre Rogers <alex@this-is-
    not-a-real-email-address.com>:

    > Hi everyone !
    >
    > I am beginner in Python, and it is, so far, the best programming language
    > I've seen (apart, perhaps, from Java, but the official release is not
    > open source, so it is a bit difficult for redistribution).
    >
    > I'm working on a (personal) project and I need a GUI, which needs to be
    > portable (I run a Linux system and I'd like my program to run on Windows,
    > at least).
    >
    > I first thought of Qt with Eric and Qt designer, but it is not portable
    > (for free).
    > Then GTK. Looks great (with Glade) but is it really portable or not ?
    >
    > I know a bit about Tkinter, which I like although it is not the most
    > attractive.
    > Is there an IDE/GUI builder for Tkinter ?
    >

    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Alex

    Hi there

    One alternative you could try is FLTK with the pyfltk wrapper. It's
    multiplatform, pure GPL GUI toolkit. FLTK comes with "Fluid" a really nice
    and easy gui builder. The output of Fluid can be converted to python via
    flconvert which is a tool for pyfltk.
    I'm trying FLTK out now, and beeing a beginner like you, I find it quite
    easy to work with.
    You could still use Eric, it's a great code editor. It has some bugs
    though, but thats another story.

    FLTK: http://www.fltk.org/
    pyfltk: http://pyfltk.sourceforge.net/index.html

    Best regards
    Tim R.

    Tim Ronning, Nov 7, 2003
  4. Tim Ronning wrote:

    > Hi there
    >
    > One alternative you could try is FLTK with the pyfltk wrapper. It's
    > multiplatform, pure GPL GUI toolkit. FLTK comes with "Fluid" a really
    > nice and easy gui builder. The output of Fluid can be converted to
    > python via flconvert which is a tool for pyfltk.
    > I'm trying FLTK out now, and beeing a beginner like you, I find it
    > quite easy to work with.
    > You could still use Eric, it's a great code editor. It has some bugs
    > though, but thats another story.
    >
    > FLTK: http://www.fltk.org/
    > pyfltk: http://pyfltk.sourceforge.net/index.html
    >
    > Best regards
    > Tim R.

    Thank you very much!

    FLTK & Fluid look great, though I can't install pyfltk (it halts during
    compilation and prints out it doesn't like ld -lGL... anyway, this is
    not the place for, I'll try the mailing list).

    Many thanks again,

    Alex

    Alexandre Rogers, Nov 7, 2003
  5. Alexandre Rogers