Newbie having serious problems

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Micah Wolfe, Feb 13, 2011.

  1. Micah Wolfe

    Micah Wolfe Guest

    Greetings all,

    I've just started learning Ruby (and Geo Ruby), and am trying to create
    overlays for Google Maps.

    I found a [seemingly] great tutorial for doing this @
    http://blog.newsplore.com/2009/02/2...es-overlay-in-google-maps-part-1#import-to-DB

    ...and it uses Ruby - cool, eh?

    The problem is, when I get to the step of running the code, I get a slew
    of errors that I can't seem to debug with my limited knowledge of Ruby.

    ERRORS: (yeah, I know I should really add this location to my $PATH)
    (Terminal_Saved_Output2.txt)

    SCRIPT:
    (gen_encpolygons.rb)

    What, exactly, is wrong with his syntax and if there is how can I change
    it so it will run?

    Doesn't kEND refer to having an 'end' somewhere you shouldn't?

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Best,
    Micah

    Attachments:
    http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/5899/Terminal_Saved_Output2.txt
    http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/5900/gen_encpolygons.rb

    Micah Wolfe, Feb 13, 2011

  2. On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Micah Wolfe <> wrote:

    > SCRIPT:
    > (gen_encpolygons.rb)
    >
    > What, exactly, is wrong with his syntax and if there is how can I change
    > it so it will run?
    >
    > Doesn't kEND refer to having an 'end' somewhere you shouldn't?

    The problem is with this line:

    init_borders << "{color: "#0000ff",n
    weight: 5,n
    points: '"

    Note the quotes around the "#0000ff" which clash with the quotes in
    the larger string.

    Go through and use %{string} for all multiline strings.

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Feb 13, 2011

    On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Micah Wolfe <>wrote:

    > What, exactly, is wrong with his syntax and if there is how can I change
    > it so it will run?

    Hi Micah,

    I think that you got the code form part 2 of the tutorial [1] by clicking on
    the "click to expand" link. For some reason, the code on that page is quite
    messed up -- for example, notice the lack of backslashes: the `n`s at the
    end of some of the strings should be `\n`, which is the escape sequence for
    newline.

    The downloadable script file [2] looks OK (based on a quick visual
    inspection using Vim). Try downloading it and see if it actually works.

    Regards,
    Yaser Sulaiman

    [1]:
    http://blog.newsplore.com/2009/03/01/political-boundaries-overlay-google-maps-2
    [2]: http://blog.newsplore.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/gen_encpolygons.rb

    Yaser Sulaiman, Feb 13, 2011
  4. Micah Wolfe

    Micah Wolfe Guest

    Thanks guys!

    Okay. At least now the script runs...unsuccessfully, but it runs.

    I had to add require 'rubygems' at the top because it wasn't recognizing
    'mysql'.

    Now it's getting as far as line 11 (yea!!!)...
    ...where it craps out on this line.

    borderDB = Mysql::new('localhost', 'root', 'proot', 'dbname')
    (not my real proot, nor db name)

    and it gives me:
    ../../Developer/usr/bin/gen_encpolygons.rb:11:in `new': Access denied
    for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) (Mysql::Error)
    from ../../Developer/usr/bin/gen_encpolygons.rb:11:in
    `generate_js_border_overlay'
    from ../../Developer/usr/bin/gen_encpolygons.rb:95

    (Yeah, I really need to fix my $PATH)

    I've checked Mysql, and I don't have any problem connecting. Could it be
    a port issue? I'm running MAMP, and it uses a non-standard port (8889)
    for Mysql, but I haven't had any other problems connecting to it via
    Ruby on the command line.

    Is this a Mysql issue, or a Ruby issue?

    Thanks again for the help, and for putting up with a desperate noobie.

    Best,
    Micah

    Micah Wolfe, Feb 14, 2011
  5. Micah Wolfe

    Micah Wolfe Guest

    I think this is a Mysql problem.

    I'm checking my server configuration.
    (and fixing my $PATH)

    Thanks again guys.

    Best,
    Micah

    Micah Wolfe, Feb 14, 2011
  6. Micah Wolfe

    Micah Wolfe Guest

    Greetings,

    Thank you all for the help.

    I fixed the connection. Have everything installed properly (as far as I
    can tell - gem list gives me the whole bundle including: mysql (2.8.1)).
    MySQL working fine.

    So now I get this error when trying to run the script from a shell:

    Command:
    $ ruby ./Desktop/gen_encpolygons.rb

    Returns:
    /Desktop/gen_encpolygons.rb:11:in `initialize': wrong number of
    arguments (4 for 0) (ArgumentError)
    from ./Desktop/gen_encpolygons.rb:11:in `new'
    from ./Desktop/gen_encpolygons.rb:11:in `generate_js_border_overlay'
    from ./Desktop/gen_encpolygons.rb:95

    I've googled extensively for similar argument errors, and I'm not
    finding any good matches (or solutions).

    ...so I opened an irb session to try a little test:

    Command:
    Mysql::new('localhost', 'root', '', 'my_database')

    Returns:
    NameError: uninitialized constant Mysql
    from (irb):1

    Then I checked for the gem: