    TIA

    Rob
    , Jan 2, 2013

  2. Re: Newbie Help - How do I stop webpages being redirected to a commercialsource

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Not sure whether this is the best forum. If not, please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > I've completely redesigned a website so all the webopage refs are different. If I google search, there may be references to webpages that are now no longer on the site.
    >
    > If I click on one, it doesn't take me to my website; rather it goes to the site of a webparking company, sedo.
    >
    > Is there are a way I can get references to any old links to go to a nominated page on my current website.

    If the links are to pages on your *own* domain then you 404 page/handler
    script should deal with it. If the link go to some other domain that no
    longer exists then there is not much you can do about than until the
    entries expire. The web "webparking" pages are normally a "feature" of
    your ISP. For mo info on how to disable:

    <http://www.google.com?q=how+to+opt+out+DNS+assistance>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 2, 2013

  3. richard Guest

    On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 08:42:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Not sure whether this is the best forum. If not, please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > I've completely redesigned a website so all the webopage refs are different. If I google search, there may be references to webpages that are now no longer on the site.
    >
    > If I click on one, it doesn't take me to my website; rather it goes to the site of a webparking company, sedo.
    >
    > Is there are a way I can get references to any old links to go to a nominated page on my current website.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rob

    Probably your domain host has it set up that way.
    Usually you get a "404" page. But they can change that any time.
    richard, Jan 3, 2013
  4. cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jan 2, 10:42 am, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Not sure whether this is the best forum. If not, please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > I've completely redesigned a website so all the webopage refs are different. If I google search, there may be references to webpages that are now nolonger on the site.
    >
    > If I click on one, it doesn't take me to my website; rather it goes to the site of a webparking company, sedo.
    >
    > Is there are a way I can get references to any old links to go to a nominated page on my current website.

    What you can do depends on what your web host allows you to do on your
    rented server space. See if your host has a manual that describes how
    to do things on your server. In my case, the server can be instructed
    to go to another web page or give a message when there is an error.
    The instructions for doing this are at:
    http://www.hostexcellence.com/hosting-manual/adding-features#q1d . Of
    course the instructions for another host may be quite different. If
    you do not decide on a page redirect or error message of your own,
    then the host usually has defaults. In some cases these defaults may
    be to some external commercial page, and your host is paid for using a
    redirect to this page.
    cwdjrxyz, Jan 5, 2013
  5. William Gill Guest

    On 1/2/2013 11:42 AM, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Not sure whether this is the best forum. If not, please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > I've completely redesigned a website so all the webopage refs are different. If I google search, there may be references to webpages that are now no longer on the site.
    >
    > If I click on one, it doesn't take me to my website; rather it goes to the site of a webparking company, sedo.
    >
    > Is there are a way I can get references to any old links to go to a nominated page on my current website.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rob

    If I read your post correctly, your domain has not changed, some of the
    pages have been removed. So example.com/oldpage.html causes a not found
    error, which it sounds like your hosting company handles by sending the
    request to the webparking company page.

    If this is true there are a couple things you can do, but they will take
    some research. What I'm taking about here is Apache specific, but most
    other servers I've worked with have similar mechanisms.

    The first example will work on any server. Assuming
    example.com/oldpage.html has been removed, but example.com/newpage.html
    is the desired new destination. Simply create a replacement for
    oldpage.html that tells the user to correct their bookmark and provide a
    link to newpage.html. You can also add a meta refresh tag to move most
    visitors along automatically.

    You can also create custom "404 Not Found" handling that directs the
    visitors to an explanation page that you have created. This page can
    list links or whatever you want. You could also just have all 404's go
    to the home page, but I don't recommend that.

    Look up documentation on htaccess files, redirect, redirectmatch,
    rewrite, and Apache directives to get an idea of what is possible. Most
    servers allow some server directives to be placed in .htaccess files,
    for example this line in an .htaccess file:

    RedirectMatch permanent ^(.*)\.htm(l?)$ $1.php

    Will automatically correct requests for all pages with .htm or .html
    suffixes to be redirected to pages with the same name , but with a .php
    suffix.

    Read and heed all warnings and cautions, because you can adversely
    affect the site with careless directives.

    Happy hunting.
    William Gill, Jan 7, 2013