Newbie help please!

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bob Thomas, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    Hi,

    I am writing a web page for a church, and whilst I can manage a
    "normal" page using Dreamweaver or whatever, there is one requirement
    I am out of my depth on.

    They want to be able to have a "sign" on the page (like the signs
    outside churches) that can be easily updated by an inexperienced
    person without great knowledge of html or web page design.

    What would be good would be if there could be a text document in the
    site with a whole lot of short sayings that the "sign" on the web page
    could somehow read from so that it showed different messages. That
    way, someone could just upload a new text document every now and then
    to change the sign rather than actually changing the web page itself.

    I presume I need Flash - but I have no experience with flash. Is there
    any software that can create such a sign that an inexperienced person
    like me could use to create this part of the web page? Any other
    suggestions?

    thanks,

    Bob T.
    Bob Thomas, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Bob Thomas

    mscir Guest

    Bob Thomas wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am writing a web page for a church, and whilst I can manage a
    > "normal" page using Dreamweaver or whatever, there is one requirement
    > I am out of my depth on.
    >
    > They want to be able to have a "sign" on the page (like the signs
    > outside churches) that can be easily updated by an inexperienced
    > person without great knowledge of html or web page design.
    >
    > What would be good would be if there could be a text document in the
    > site with a whole lot of short sayings that the "sign" on the web page
    > could somehow read from so that it showed different messages. That
    > way, someone could just upload a new text document every now and then
    > to change the sign rather than actually changing the web page itself.
    >
    > I presume I need Flash - but I have no experience with flash. Is there
    > any software that can create such a sign that an inexperienced person
    > like me could use to create this part of the web page? Any other
    > suggestions?

    Can you list any example web sites that have an effect like the one you
    want to produce?
    mscir, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Bob Thomas

    Paul Furman Guest

    Check if your web host supports SSI (Server Side Includes). If so that'd
    be real easy to make a reference to a plain text file and just update
    that. If the host supports php, perl or ASP, a trickier solution could
    let them log on from any web browser to update it without an ftp program
    or anything.

    Paul Furman, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Bob Thomas

    Steve R. Guest

    Bob Thomas wrote in message ...
    > They want to be able to have a "sign" on the page (like the signs
    > outside churches) that can be easily updated by an inexperienced
    > person without great knowledge of html or web page design.

    If you wanted to keep it very simple you could create an iframe on the page
    like this ..
    http://www.myby.myby.co.uk/iframe/iframe_in_table.htm

    The contents of the iframe (Page 1) can be from a server anywhere, so the
    person creating the content would just from time-to-time update their page
    without affecting anything on the main website.

    You could surround the iframe with images so it actaully looked like a
    church notice-board. The table boxes are there for demo only and could
    easily be changed.

    If the person creating the content had absoulutely no idea how to upload
    content to a web-server, then if you wished you could use any one of the
    free "Guest-Books" as the content page, so in effect all they are doing is
    signing a Guest-Book. (but writing information instead). That's the
    ultra-simple way, but won't look as good.
    Steve R., Feb 21, 2004
  5. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:34:31 -0800, mscir <>
    wrote:

    >Can you list any example web sites that have an effect like the one you
    >want to produce?

    Not off the top of my head, but I have just downloaded a Coffee Cup
    program called "Headline Factory" which seems to achieve approximately
    the idea i was looking for - it loads info from a text file into a
    little applet, so I could use that I guess - otherwise the suggestion
    from Steve might be good (once i learn how to do it). 8*)

    Bob T.
    Bob Thomas, Feb 21, 2004
  6. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:44:26 -0800, Paul Furman <>
    wrote:

    >Check if your web host supports SSI (Server Side Includes). If so that'd
    >be real easy to make a reference to a plain text file and just update
    >that. If the host supports php, perl or ASP, a trickier solution could
    >let them log on from any web browser to update it without an ftp program
    >or anything.

    I think they'd handle FTP - but just to update say one text file to
    make life really easy - but I'm not sure about the SSI.

    Bob T.
    Bob Thomas, Feb 21, 2004
  7. Bob Thomas

    Steve R. Guest

    Bob Thomas wrote in message...
    > the suggestion from Steve might be good (once I learn how to do it).

    To create an iframe just copy and paste this HTML into the page after the

    <IFRAME NAME="iframe1" SRC="page_1.htm" ALIGN="center" HEIGHT="320"
    WIDTH="450" HSPACE="50" VSPACE="10" scrolling="Yes">
    </IFRAME> <br>

    If you alter the height and width figures to suit and the SRC="?????.htm"
    will point to the webpage you wish to show in the iframe. As I said that
    content can be anywhere on the www.
    Steve R., Feb 21, 2004
  8. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:09:05 GMT, "Steve R."
    <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Bob Thomas wrote in message ...
    >> They want to be able to have a "sign" on the page (like the signs
    >> outside churches) that can be easily updated by an inexperienced
    >> person without great knowledge of html or web page design.

    >If you wanted to keep it very simple you could create an iframe on the page
    >like this ..
    >http://www.myby.myby.co.uk/iframe/iframe_in_table.htm

    That looks like a simple sort of thing that maybe I could do - as you
    say, I could build an image around it. Now ... the only thing is ...
    how do you make an iframe ?? More importantly, how do I get the text
    inmside it to be drawn from a text file ??

    >If the person creating the content had absoulutely no idea how to upload
    >content to a web-server, then if you wished you could use any one of the
    >free "Guest-Books" as the content page, so in effect all they are doing is
    >signing a Guest-Book. (but writing information instead). That's the
    >ultra-simple way, but won't look as good.

    No, I don't think I'll go that way - thus far it looks like some sort
    of applet (which I don't know much about) or this iframe - might be
    ways to go.

    Bob T.
    Bob Thomas, Feb 21, 2004
  9. Bob Thomas

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I think they'd handle FTP - but just to update say one text file to
    > make life really easy - but I'm not sure about the SSI.

    I like your idea a lot. A nice looking Flash object can do exactly what
    you are looking for. And with proper graphics, you could make it look
    exactly like the message holder in front of your church. (Maybe the
    flash loads a background jpg of your banner?)

    This is something that a lot of churches would like. Tell you what, I
    will make one in Flash, and offer it on my site for free when it is
    done. I work with NAMB (North American Missions Board) on a regular
    basis, and they would probably be interested in something like this to
    offer to their 40,000+ churches.

    It will also have a flash piece to change the text. So all they need to
    know is how to type. No FTP or SSI or anything else.

    All your vision impaired visitors will get the alt-text of the flash
    (Flash is 100% 508 compliant) The entire size will be less than 20K so
    bandwidth is not a concern

    Thanks for the idea, give it a week and I will have it for you if you
    (or anyone else) want it.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Feb 21, 2004
  10. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:52:26 -0500, Whitecrest <>
    wrote:

    >I like your idea a lot. A nice looking Flash object can do exactly what
    >you are looking for. And with proper graphics, you could make it look
    >exactly like the message holder in front of your church. (Maybe the
    >flash loads a background jpg of your banner?)

    Well that was actually what I had in mind - I have a photo of the
    actual sign out the front of the church, and I was thinking of maybe
    cutting the middle out with a graphics program and substituting the
    words from a text file.

    The idea is so that anyone can just upload a text file and the sign
    would be upgraded. Much better than trying to get them to actually
    fiddle with the html or the actual page.

    >This is something that a lot of churches would like. Tell you what, I
    >will make one in Flash, and offer it on my site for free when it is
    >done. I work with NAMB (North American Missions Board) on a regular
    >basis, and they would probably be interested in something like this to
    >offer to their 40,000+ churches.
    >
    >It will also have a flash piece to change the text. So all they need to
    >know is how to type. No FTP or SSI or anything else.
    >
    >All your vision impaired visitors will get the alt-text of the flash
    >(Flash is 100% 508 compliant) The entire size will be less than 20K so
    >bandwidth is not a concern
    >
    >Thanks for the idea, give it a week and I will have it for you if you
    >(or anyone else) want it.

    That sounds *excellent* ... I shall await your efforts with great
    interest. 8*)

    Bob T.
    Bob Thomas, Feb 21, 2004
  11. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:14:26 GMT, "Steve R."
    <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Bob Thomas wrote in message...
    >> the suggestion from Steve might be good (once I learn how to do it).

    >To create an iframe just copy and paste this HTML into the page after the
    >
    ><IFRAME NAME="iframe1" SRC="page_1.htm" ALIGN="center" HEIGHT="320"
    >WIDTH="450" HSPACE="50" VSPACE="10" scrolling="Yes">
    ></IFRAME> <br>
    >
    >If you alter the height and width figures to suit and the SRC="?????.htm"
    >will point to the webpage you wish to show in the iframe. As I said that
    >content can be anywhere on the www.

    Thanks Steve - another bit of HTML I hadn't heard of. That means
    there's only 98% of it left to learn! 8*)

    I'll give it a play while I wait for the interesting offer from
    Whitecrest Entertainment.

    Bob T.
    Bob Thomas, Feb 21, 2004
  12. Toby A Inkster, Feb 21, 2004
  13. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:57:31 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >Bob Thomas wrote:
    >
    >> They want to be able to have a "sign" on the page (like the signs
    >> outside churches)

    >http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/sign/example
    >Source: http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/sign/example-src
    >
    >Basic technique: ensure that your server has "fortune" installed and
    >create a fortune cookie file containing all your quotes. Then call the
    >fortune program from a script.

    Thanks for that ... looks Ok, but I think the techniques which just
    use a text file might be a bit easier to maintain. I do like the way
    it changes quotes all the time though although it would be nice to be
    able to control that too. I think this one might be beyond my
    knowledge to create very well.

    Bob T.
    Bob Thomas, Feb 22, 2004