Newbie help request - C++ Compiler for Macintosh

macnoob

Hi all,

Many thanks in advnce for any help.

Can someone please point me towards a compiler on the web for C++ that
I can use with a mac, preferably a free one? I have a Powerbook and
would like to learn C++ when I can get a spare few minutes each day.

Preferably I would like to use a GUI-based one if available, but I'm
sure you will know more about that than I do.

Thanks again,
macnoob

Andrew Poelstra

Can someone please point me towards a compiler on the web for C++ that
I can use with a mac, preferably a free one? I have a Powerbook and
would like to learn C++ when I can get a spare few minutes each day.

C doesn't know what a Mac is, nor a Powerbook, nor C++. Maybe you would
like to try a group relating to at least one of those three things.
Preferably I would like to use a GUI-based one if available, but I'm
sure you will know more about that than I do.

Why would you want a GUI?
http://www.charlespetzold.com/etc/DoesVisualStudioRotTheMind.html

Flash Gordon

macnoob said:
Hi all,

Many thanks in advnce for any help.

Can someone please point me towards a compiler on the web for C++ that

Look at the name of the group you have posted to then look at at the
language you are asking about. See? The two are different. Before
posting to comp.lang.c++ check their FAQ to see if it lists possible
compilers and whether such a question would be topical. Failing that a
Mac group would be a good place to look.

tharpa

macnoob,

Try comp.lang.c++. The most recent version of the mac os is based on
unix, so they should be able to point you towards one.

Mark McIntyre

Hi all,

Many thanks in advnce for any help.

Can someone please point me towards a compiler on the web for C++ that
I can use with a mac, preferably a free one?

Firstly, this is the C language group, not the C++ one
Secondly, specific tools are offtopic in both places
Lastly, any reasonably recent Mac can run gcc. For more info, ask in a
Mac and/or gcc group.

--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Monkey

macnoob said:
Can someone please point me towards a compiler on the web for C++ that
I can use with a mac, preferably a free one? I have a Powerbook and
would like to learn C++ when I can get a spare few minutes each day.

Preferably I would like to use a GUI-based one if available, but I'm
sure you will know more about that than I do.
[Follow-ups set.]

Assuming you mean Mac OS X:

<http://developer.apple.com/>