Newbie: How can I use a string value for a keyword argument?

Doug Morse

Hi,

My apologies for troubling for what is probably an easy question... it's just
that can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere (Googling, pydocs, etc.)...

I have a class method, MyClass.foo(), that takes keyword arguments. For
example, I can say:

x = MyClass()
x.foo(trials=32)

Works just fine.

What I need to be able to do is call foo() with a string value specifying the
keyword (or both the keyword and value would be fine), something along the
lines of:

x = MyClass()
y = 'trials=32'
x.foo(y) # doesn't work

or

x.MyClass()
y = 'trials'
x.foo(y = 32) # does the "wrong" thing

Surely there's some way to use a string's value as the key for making a method
call with a keyword argument?

Just for completeness, my goal is simply to read a bunch of key/value pairs
from an INI file (using ConfigObj) and then use those key/value pairs to set a
(3rd party) object's parameters, which must be done with a call along the
lines of "instance.set(key=value)". Obviously, I could create a huge if..elif
statement along the lines of "if y = 'trials': x.foo(trials=32); elif y =
'speed': x.foo(speed=12);" etc., but then the statement has to be maintained
every time a new parameter is added/changed etc. Plus, such a solution seems
to me grossly inelegant and un-Pythonic.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

Doug

John Machin

[...]

I'm not quite sure what foo() is really supposed to do ... however the
built-in function setattr is your friend. Assuming that ini_dict
contains what you have scraped out of your .ini file, you can do:
x = MyCLass()
for key, value in ini_dict.items():
setattr(x, key, value)
You may prefer (I would) to do it inside the class, and maybe do some
checking/validation:
class MyClass(object):
def load(self, adict):
for k, v in adict.items():
# do checking here
setattr(self, k, v)
# much later
x = MyClass()
x.load(ini_dict)

HTH,
John

bockman

Hi,

My apologies for troubling for what is probably an easy question... it's just
that can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere (Googling, pydocs, etc.)...

I have a class method, MyClass.foo(), that takes keyword arguments.  For
example, I can say:

x = MyClass()
x.foo(trials=32)

Works just fine.

What I need to be able to do is call foo() with a string value specifying the
keyword (or both the keyword and value would be fine), something along the
lines of:

x = MyClass()
y = 'trials=32'
x.foo(y)        # doesn't work

or

x.MyClass()
y = 'trials'
x.foo(y = 32)   # does the "wrong" thing

Try this:
y='trials'
x.foo( **{y:32} )

Ciao

Bruno Desthuilliers

Doug Morse a écrit :
Hi,

My apologies for troubling for what is probably an easy question... it's just
that can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere (Googling, pydocs, etc.)...

I have a class method, MyClass.foo(), that takes keyword arguments. For
example, I can say:

x = MyClass()
x.foo(trials=32)

Works just fine.

What I need to be able to do is call foo() with a string value specifying the
keyword (or both the keyword and value would be fine), something along the
lines of:

x = MyClass()
y = 'trials=32'
x.foo(y) # doesn't work

You want something like:

x.foo(**{'trials':32})

Just for completeness, my goal is simply to read a bunch of key/value pairs
from an INI file (using ConfigObj)

ConfigObj being a subclass of dict, you should be able to use it
directly, ie:

x.foo(**my_config)

If just want to pass a section of the ConfigObj, it should work just the
same.

HTH

Doug Morse

I'm not quite sure what foo() is really supposed to do ... however the
built-in function setattr is your friend. Assuming that ini_dict
contains what you have scraped out of your .ini file, you can do:
x = MyCLass()
for key, value in ini_dict.items():
setattr(x, key, value)
You may prefer (I would) to do it inside the class, and maybe do some
checking/validation:
class MyClass(object):
def load(self, adict):
for k, v in adict.items():
# do checking here
setattr(self, k, v)
# much later
x = MyClass()
x.load(ini_dict)

HTH,
John

Hi John,

Your response is most helpful and informative -- thanks!

I don't think that setattr() is exactly what I need, though, as foo() doesn't
actually create or update its instance attributes. What I need to be able to
do is call foo() specifying keyword arguments not directly but viz a viz
another variable or variables that contain the keywords and values.

I'm pretty sure I just found the solution, which is to use the **-operator on
a dictionary. Actually, ConfigObj (the INI file reader) subclasses from
__builtin__.dict (i.e., the class/object *is* a dictionary), so the following
seems to work perfectly:

x.foo(**config)

This sends ALL the key/value pairs in config as keyword/value pairs to foo(),
which is exactly what I need.

Just FYI, I located this solution via Google shortly after posting, so I have
sent a cancel request on my original post.

Thanks again!
Doug

Gary Herron

Doug said:
Hi,

My apologies for troubling for what is probably an easy question... it's just
that can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere (Googling, pydocs, etc.)...

I have a class method, MyClass.foo(), that takes keyword arguments. For
example, I can say:

x = MyClass()
x.foo(trials=32)

Works just fine.

What I need to be able to do is call foo() with a string value specifying the
keyword (or both the keyword and value would be fine), something along the
lines of:

x = MyClass()
y = 'trials=32'
x.foo(y) # doesn't work
Keyword args are represented during the calling process as a
dictionary, You can create the dictionary yourself, and slip it into
the calling arguments with a ** notation:

kw = {somestring:32}
x.foo(**kw)

Gary Herron