Newbie, how di I change variables for mysite???

javatiger

I have downloaded a few scripts and I'm not sure about how to change
them to suit my site.

Below is part of a perl script I have downloaded, now I need to
personlize them for my site.

My site = http://happydrink.shyper.com

I have put a simple clock on it if it helps with my answer

http://happydrink.shyper.com/cgi-bin/textclock.pl

On my server we use the public_html folder only and not the www folder
I have created a new folder in the public_html called perltest and
uploaded the htm files into hear, I have put the perl script in my
cgi_bin.

Can someone post a reply editing the script below to suit my site.

Also I see /usr/ in alot of scripts what does it mean?
#*******Variables that need to be personalized***********
$answerFile = "/usr/www/users/mhughes/perltest/answers.txt";
$logFile = "/usr/www/users/mhughes/perltest/testlog.htm";
$logFileUrl =
"http://www.flashlightbrown.com/perltest/testlog.htm";
$testUrl = "http://www.flashlightbrown.com/perltest/test.htm";
$graphFile = "/usr/www/users/mhughes/perltest/graphlog.htm";
$graphFileUrl =
"http://www.flashlightbrown.com/perltest/graphlog.htm";

krakle

I have downloaded a few scripts and I'm not sure about how to change
them to suit my site.

Refer to the README files or the authors site for help...
Below is part of a perl script I have downloaded, now I need to
personlize them for my site.

Refer to the README file...
On my server we use the public_html folder only and not the www folder
I have created a new folder in the public_html called perltest and
uploaded the htm files into hear, I have put the perl script in my
cgi_bin.

Can someone post a reply editing the script below to suit my site.

Also I see /usr/ in alot of scripts what does it mean?

"usr" is a directory... So... when a script asks for a full path to a
file it may begin with a "/usr" depending on your server and setup...
#*******Variables that need to be personalized***********
$answerFile = "/usr/www/users/mhughes/perltest/answers.txt";
$logFile = "/usr/www/users/mhughes/perltest/testlog.htm";
$logFileUrl =
"http://www.flashlightbrown.com/perltest/testlog.htm";
$testUrl = "http://www.flashlightbrown.com/perltest/test.htm";
$graphFile = "/usr/www/users/mhughes/perltest/graphlog.htm";
$graphFileUrl =
"http://www.flashlightbrown.com/perltest/graphlog.htm";

Yea... We don't know where you put the files... Nor do we know your
full path on your server... Refer to the authors site... Or a newbies
guide on CGI scripts...

This is offtopic here...