Newbie, how di I change variables for mysite???

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by javatiger, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. javatiger

    javatiger Guest

    I have downloaded a few scripts and I'm not sure about how to change
    them to suit my site.

    Below is part of a perl script I have downloaded, now I need to
    personlize them for my site.

    My site = http://happydrink.shyper.com

    I have put a simple clock on it if it helps with my answer

    http://happydrink.shyper.com/cgi-bin/textclock.pl

    On my server we use the public_html folder only and not the www folder
    I have created a new folder in the public_html called perltest and
    uploaded the htm files into hear, I have put the perl script in my
    cgi_bin.

    Can someone post a reply editing the script below to suit my site.

    Also I see /usr/ in alot of scripts what does it mean?
    #*******Variables that need to be personalized***********
    $answerFile = "/usr/www/users/mhughes/perltest/answers.txt";
    $logFile = "/usr/www/users/mhughes/perltest/testlog.htm";
    $logFileUrl =
    "http://www.flashlightbrown.com/perltest/testlog.htm";
    $testUrl = "http://www.flashlightbrown.com/perltest/test.htm";
    $graphFile = "/usr/www/users/mhughes/perltest/graphlog.htm";
    $graphFileUrl =
    "http://www.flashlightbrown.com/perltest/graphlog.htm";
    javatiger, Sep 12, 2004

  2. javatiger

    krakle Guest

    (javatiger) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have downloaded a few scripts and I'm not sure about how to change
    > them to suit my site.

    Refer to the README files or the authors site for help...

    > Below is part of a perl script I have downloaded, now I need to
    > personlize them for my site.

    Refer to the README file...

    > On my server we use the public_html folder only and not the www folder
    > I have created a new folder in the public_html called perltest and
    > uploaded the htm files into hear, I have put the perl script in my
    > cgi_bin.
    >
    > Can someone post a reply editing the script below to suit my site.
    >
    > Also I see /usr/ in alot of scripts what does it mean?

    "usr" is a directory... So... when a script asks for a full path to a
    file it may begin with a "/usr" depending on your server and setup...

    > #*******Variables that need to be personalized***********
    > $answerFile = "/usr/www/users/mhughes/perltest/answers.txt";
    > $logFile = "/usr/www/users/mhughes/perltest/testlog.htm";
    > $logFileUrl =
    > "http://www.flashlightbrown.com/perltest/testlog.htm";
    > $testUrl = "http://www.flashlightbrown.com/perltest/test.htm";
    > $graphFile = "/usr/www/users/mhughes/perltest/graphlog.htm";
    > $graphFileUrl =
    > "http://www.flashlightbrown.com/perltest/graphlog.htm";

    Yea... We don't know where you put the files... Nor do we know your
    full path on your server... Refer to the authors site... Or a newbies
    guide on CGI scripts...

    This is offtopic here...
    krakle, Sep 14, 2004