    client?

    Thanks

    Regards
    John, Nov 6, 2003

  2. John

    Michael Ames Guest

    My opinion:

    If your concern is about protecting access to the code itself, then ASP.NET
    source is much safer than classic ASP, because the deliverable is actually a
    set of compiled .dll's, rather than a set of vbscript files.

    However, you should be aware that it is notoriously easy to decompile a .NET
    assembly into very clean source code. If this worries you, you should
    consider using an obfuscator to "scramble" the dll code so that decompiling
    either doesn't work or doesn't work very well.

    -Michael

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I am a complete newbie and am contemplating moving to asp.net from asp.

    How

    Michael Ames, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Re : Newbie: How safe is source code?

    You can compile the code behind files and deliver them
    as .dll files however the caveat with this is they can be
    decompiled. To prevent decompiling use obfuscators

    The following link has one such obfuscator
    http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone28/cat1016/25607.htm

    - Gopi

    S Gopikrishna, Nov 7, 2003
  4. John

    PreTech Guest

    Hi John,

    You should obfuscate your ASP.NET with Dotfuscator (a .NET
    obfuscator).
    A lite version is included inside VS.NET 2003 under the tools menu.
    This will make reverse engineered code harder to understand.

    If you want more protection that significantly hinders reverse
    engineering by crashing or stopping decompilers and support look at
    Dotfuscator Professional Edition.

    For more info: www.preemptive.com/dotfuscator

    Best Regards,
    Dotfuscator Team

    PreTech, Nov 11, 2003
  5. John

    jon Guest

    I agree. But what about 'Whidbey' (new VS 2004)? I think we going
    back to ‘no code-behind'.

    http://www.naptaxes.com/AAJ/
    [AllAmericanJobs - Searching jobs from your desktop and automatically
    sends resume.]
    jon, Nov 11, 2003
  6. John

    PreTech Guest

    Even with 'no code behind' isn't the result still .NET code which can be decompiled?

    PreTech, Nov 12, 2003