Newbie - how to publish project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by AAJ, Sep 21, 2006.

  1. AAJ

    AAJ Guest

    Hi all

    I knows there are tutorials out there, but I'm wondering how you guys manage
    the publishing/updating of websites in the real world.

    It seems I have 2 options, Publish and copy. As far as I can tell

    If I choose publish, my Web site is compiled and then copied to the web
    server without the .cs files.

    If I choose copy, all the files are copied over, and when someone browses
    the site, each page is compiled in turn.

    My colleague uses Dreamweaver for ASP programming, and it seems to have the
    sensible option of using PUT, so only changed pages are transferred over.

    So I suppose my question is...

    If I build a site on my local server, should I copy it with .cs files to the
    live server, or should I publish the compiled version.

    Once the live site is being used, if I change a few pages on my local
    server, I don't want to stop users from using the site as I update. So what
    happens if I publish, will there be any interruptions as it transfers the
    new site, does it just transfer the changes, if it transfers the whole site,
    does the web server keep working until the transfer is complete, and the
    switch to the new stuff.

    On the other hand, If I choose copy, is it the done thing having the .cs
    files on the live server (In this application I'm not too worried about the
    compile time the first time a page is run). It looks as though it follows
    the dream weaver method of allowing you to selectively choose the files to
    upload, although it seems to be a bit hit and miss on my machine, it comes
    up with question marks until I've synched the whole project...

    so any advise, references for best practices would be welcome

    thanks

    Andy
    AAJ, Sep 21, 2006

  2. AAJ

    Mark Rae Guest

    Mark Rae, Sep 21, 2006

  3. Hi Andy,

    When publising directly to the server, the server won't go down while the
    update is happening, but the web application will be taken offline.
    Visual Studio puts a app_offline.htm in your web application. Any users
    browsing to your app will get routed to this file. When the update is
    complete, the app_offline.htm is deleted and your web application is back
    online.

    If you publish to your local computer, and copy/paste the files to the
    server, the same thing will happen although this time the user may get a
    server unavailable or similar error.

    --
    Happy Coding!
    Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]