Newbie "how to" questions

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Griff, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. Griff

    Griff Guest

    I'm a complete novice to ASP.NET and have two questions - the first is
    conceptual and the other is technical.

    Conceptual:
    I envisage having a web site that has a search facility displayed in the top
    corner of every page. Seems sensible to me to have this as a control? So,
    no matter what is displayed in the main body of the page, a user can choose
    to search the site for, say, a product. What I would expect is that this
    control would search the database and return either a single product or a
    whole bunch of similar products based on the search criteria. I presume
    that I would have two further controls - one to display a single product in
    full detail and another to display a set of similar products in "minimal"
    detail. The search control would then use the correct control in the main
    body of the page. Does this sound sensible, or is this a poor design
    (thinking also in terms of scalability). If poor, what would be a better
    concept?

    Technically:
    Based on the above concept, I have one control [search] "activating" another
    specific control [single product display] when it could have "activated"
    other controls, e.g. the [multiple products display]. I've no idea yet how
    to get this to work and any advice on how to get up to speed on this ultra
    quickly would be of great help to me.

    Many thanks in advance

    Griff
    Griff, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Griff

    Josh Guest

    > I'm a complete novice to ASP.NET and have two questions - the first is
    > conceptual and the other is technical.
    >
    > Conceptual:
    > I envisage having a web site that has a search facility displayed in the

    top
    > corner of every page. Seems sensible to me to have this as a control?

    Good idea...

    >So,
    > no matter what is displayed in the main body of the page, a user can

    choose
    > to search the site for, say, a product. What I would expect is that this
    > control would search the database and return either a single product or a
    > whole bunch of similar products based on the search criteria. I presume
    > that I would have two further controls - one to display a single product

    in
    > full detail and another to display a set of similar products in "minimal"
    > detail.

    Been there done that, good idea...

    > The search control would then use the correct control in the main
    > body of the page. Does this sound sensible, or is this a poor design
    > (thinking also in terms of scalability). If poor, what would be a better
    > concept?

    I did a web site that used one page and a whole bunch of user controls that
    were displayed in the middle, depending on what the user was doing. Worked
    fine.

    www.focusnorthamptonshire.co.uk ... i think

    > Technically:
    > Based on the above concept, I have one control [search] "activating"

    another
    > specific control [single product display] when it could have "activated"
    > other controls, e.g. the [multiple products display]. I've no idea yet

    how
    > to get this to work and any advice on how to get up to speed on this ultra
    > quickly would be of great help to me.

    User controls can talk to each other via public properties, or perhaps more
    easily by setting Session variables.

    Remember, if theres a choice, C# is a better language than VB. :)
    Josh, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Griff

    Josh Guest

    Josh, Oct 13, 2004
  4. Griff

    Josh Guest

    Josh, Oct 13, 2004
  5. Griff

    Griff Guest

    > > The search control would then use the correct control in the main
    > > body of the page. Does this sound sensible, or is this a poor design
    > > (thinking also in terms of scalability). If poor, what would be a

    better
    > > concept?

    > I did a web site that used one page and a whole bunch of user controls

    that
    > were displayed in the middle, depending on what the user was doing.

    Worked
    > fine.

    Josh - how does one control in ASP.NET interact with another?

    > Remember, if theres a choice, C# is a better language than VB. :)

    Subjectively or objectively? If I'm familiar with VB6, VB.NET surely would
    be the better option for me?
    Griff, Oct 14, 2004
  6. Griff

    Josh Guest

    > Josh - how does one control in ASP.NET interact with another?

    Session variables or public varaiables on the usercontrols or public
    variables on the page that all of thge conrols can access.

    > > Remember, if theres a choice, C# is a better language than VB. :)

    > Subjectively or objectively? If I'm familiar with VB6, VB.NET surely

    would
    > be the better option for me?

    My software house has been through this question. Result : The change to
    ..Net is so drastic and the changes to VB so wide, that changing the actual
    language to C# is no harder to get a grip on.

    Programmers here, "feel" more professional using C# than VB.
    Josh, Oct 14, 2004