Newbie IIS6/ASP.net problem

Michael Kelty

Yesterday I installed Windows Server 2003 onto a computer for testing and
development. I then chose the Application server role and loaded IIS 6
making sure to enable ASP.NET while I was doing it. I then installed Visual
Studio.NET 2003. Today I was loading some sample files from a C# book I got
from Microsoft Press and got this error from the Windows Development
Environment:

"The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the web project located at the following URL:
'http://Localhost:/aspnetsbs_cs/Chapter_01/'.'HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request'.

When I loaded the same sample files on my Win2k Pro machine it came off
without a hitch. I have scoured Microsoft Technet but I seem to be unable to
find anything to explain this. So far I have not been able to get any
classic ASP or ASP.NET pages to run.

If anyone can give me some pointers I would really appreciate it. I imagine,
as usual, that the answer is quite simple. Obviously I am very inexperienced
with IIS and .NET. I usually do MSAccess programming.

James J. Foster

If nothing runs, open the IIS Administration Console on the Server. Expand
the local computer node, and click on Web Service Extensions. In the right
pane, make sure Active Server Pages and ASP.NET are set to "Allow". Windows
Server 2003, as part of the new security initiative, now disables many
things by default.

Michael Kelty

James J. Foster said:
If nothing runs, open the IIS Administration Console on the Server. Expand
the local computer node, and click on Web Service Extensions. In the right
pane, make sure Active Server Pages and ASP.NET are set to "Allow". Windows
Server 2003, as part of the new security initiative, now disables many
things by default.

Thanks but the Server console is set to "Allow" for both Active Server Pages
and ASP.NET. I'm still at a standstill without a clue.

Perhaps bagging the idea of using Win2k3 and IIS 6 altogether and going with
Windows 2000 server would be better, no? The site I am eventually going to
set up will be in an intranet setting so security shouldn't be too much of a
problem (famous last words).

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hi Michael,

Please go to IIS configuration->Default web site->Properties->select "web
site" tab. There is a IP address setting. Did you set it to an IP address?
If so, please change it back to (all unassigned).

If this setting is set as an IP address, then localhost(127.0.0.1) can't be
resolved by IIS and so you couldn't visit any site in http://localhost.

Please post here if the problem is not resolved. Thanks.

Best regards,
yhhuang
VS.NET, Visual C++
Microsoft

Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com
--------------------
!From: "Michael Kelty" <[email protected]>
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
!Subject: Re: Newbie IIS6/ASP.net problem
!Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:32:18 -0400
!
!
!!> If nothing runs, open the IIS Administration Console on the Server.
Expand
!> the local computer node, and click on Web Service Extensions. In the
right
!> pane, make sure Active Server Pages and ASP.NET are set to "Allow".
!Windows
!> Server 2003, as part of the new security initiative, now disables many
!> things by default.
!>
!> --
!> James J. Foster, DotNetCoders
!> http://www.dotnetcoders.com
!
!Thanks but the Server console is set to "Allow" for both Active Server
Pages
!and ASP.NET. I'm still at a standstill without a clue.
!
!Perhaps bagging the idea of using Win2k3 and IIS 6 altogether and going
with
!Windows 2000 server would be better, no? The site I am eventually going to
!set up will be in an intranet setting so security shouldn't be too much of
!problem (famous last words).
!
!
!> !> > Yesterday I installed Windows Server 2003 onto a computer for testing
!and
!> > development. I then chose the Application server role and loaded IIS 6
!> > making sure to enable ASP.NET while I was doing it. I then installed
!> Visual
!> > Studio.NET 2003. Today I was loading some sample files from a C# book I
!> got
!> > from Microsoft Press and got this error from the Windows Development
!> > Environment:
!> >

Yan-Hong Huang said:
Hi Michael,

Please go to IIS configuration->Default web site->Properties->select "web
site" tab. There is a IP address setting. Did you set it to an IP address?
If so, please change it back to (all unassigned).

If this setting is set as an IP address, then localhost(127.0.0.1) can't be
resolved by IIS and so you couldn't visit any site in http://localhost.

Please post here if the problem is not resolved. Thanks.

Best regards,
yhhuang
VS.NET, Visual C++
Microsoft

I did as you said and now the error I get is the same except instead of
saying 'Bad Request' it says 'Service Unavailable'. During the course of
trying to get the webserver up and running, I got an error page in IE with
those words on it on several occasions but all the indications that I could
see led me to believe that the website was running.

Sorry to truncate but the thread was getting quite long.
Continuing thanks.

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hi Michael,

Could you creaet a new asp.net web application from application wizard successfully? If not, I think you need to reinstall
asp.net in the system. Please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306005 for detailed steps. Thanks.

Best regards,
yhhuang
VS.NET, Visual C++