newbie: include navigation file without ssi?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by junkyard@jaggerdog.com, Aug 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I am new to html programming and have a question I hope someone can
    help me with. I am working on a project to organize a lot of technical
    information as a series of webpages. This information will ultimately
    be distributed to users on a cd, and we don't want the users to have to
    install anything, just bring up a browser and go to town.

    My problem is that I have read about (and created) a navigation/menu
    system using html and css. I would like the nav menu to appear at the
    top of each page, yet have the source code appear in only one file, for
    ease of maintenece. I read about using server side includes to
    accomplish this, but will that work given that I need to ultimately
    distribute this package on a cd without knowing what the user will have
    installed on their machine (besides a browser)? if it is possible, how
    would I go about setting it up?

    If it's not possible, is there some other way to accomplish this?

    thanks for your help!
    mn

    , Aug 8, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am new to html programming and have a question I hope someone can
    > help me with. I am working on a project to organize a lot of technical
    > information as a series of webpages. This information will ultimately
    > be distributed to users on a cd, and we don't want the users to have to
    > install anything, just bring up a browser and go to town.
    >
    > My problem is that I have read about (and created) a navigation/menu
    > system using html and css. I would like the nav menu to appear at the
    > top of each page, yet have the source code appear in only one file, for
    > ease of maintenece. I read about using server side includes to
    > accomplish this, but will that work given that I need to ultimately
    > distribute this package on a cd without knowing what the user will have
    > installed on their machine (besides a browser)? if it is possible, how
    > would I go about setting it up?
    >
    > If it's not possible, is there some other way to accomplish this?
    >
    > thanks for your help!
    > mn

    One approach is global search and replace. For example, put the
    following lines in each file:

    ---Begin Template 1 Here---
    ---End Template 1 Here---

    and then use a tool like ReplacEm from http://www.orbit.org/replace/
    that will let you insert code of your choice between two predefined
    lines like the ones above, and later will let you replace whatever code
    might have been between those lines previously with a new version. You
    can run ReplacEm over a whole hierarchy of nested directories. It
    provides several ways to save the previous versions in case you need to
    revert.

    Harlan Messinger, Aug 8, 2006

  3. Harlan Messinger wrote:
    [...]
    > and then use a tool like ReplacEm from http://www.orbit.org/replace/
    > that will let you insert code of your choice between two predefined
    > lines like the ones above, and later will let you replace whatever code
    > might have been between those lines previously with a new version. You
    > can run ReplacEm over a whole hierarchy of nested directories. It
    > provides several ways to save the previous versions in case you need to
    > revert.

    Two things: (1) I meant to mention that ReplacEm is free. (2) The URL I
    gave is legacy. The up-to-date URL is http://www.fitsoftware.com/.

    Harlan Messinger, Aug 8, 2006
  4. Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:

    > My problem is that I have read about (and created) a navigation/menu
    > system using html and css. I would like the nav menu to appear at the
    > top of each page, yet have the source code appear in only one file, for
    > ease of maintenece. I read about using server side includes to
    > accomplish this, but will that work given that I need to ultimately
    > distribute this package on a cd

    Two ways.

    Do it with SSI. Burn it onto the CD by taking a copy via HTTP. Use any
    "backup this web site to disk" program, such as the many Firefox
    extensions.

    Do it without SSI. Write your pages as SSI, then write/find a simple
    Perl/Python script that does the equivalent to SSI by copying these
    static pages to a new directory tree, merging in any SSI that they find.

    Andy Dingley, Aug 8, 2006
  5. Paul Watt Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am new to html programming and have a question I hope someone can
    > help me with. I am working on a project to organize a lot of technical
    > information as a series of webpages. This information will ultimately
    > be distributed to users on a cd, and we don't want the users to have to
    > install anything, just bring up a browser and go to town.
    >
    > My problem is that I have read about (and created) a navigation/menu
    > system using html and css. I would like the nav menu to appear at the
    > top of each page, yet have the source code appear in only one file, for
    > ease of maintenece. I read about using server side includes to
    > accomplish this, but will that work given that I need to ultimately
    > distribute this package on a cd without knowing what the user will have
    > installed on their machine (besides a browser)? if it is possible, how
    > would I go about setting it up?
    >
    > If it's not possible, is there some other way to accomplish this?
    >
    > thanks for your help!
    > mn

    for ease you could always use a iframe, not pretty but it avoids scripting.
    --
    Cheers

    Paul
    le singe est dans l'arbre
    http://www.paulwatt.info

    Paul Watt, Aug 8, 2006

    thanks for the suggestion, I checked it out and it will do what I need
    it to.

    thanks,
    mn

    Harlan Messinger wrote:
    > Harlan Messinger wrote:
    > [...]
    > > and then use a tool like ReplacEm from http://www.orbit.org/replace/
    > > that will let you insert code of your choice between two predefined
    > > lines like the ones above, and later will let you replace whatever code
    > > might have been between those lines previously with a new version. You
    > > can run ReplacEm over a whole hierarchy of nested directories. It
    > > provides several ways to save the previous versions in case you need to
    > > revert.

    > Two things: (1) I meant to mention that ReplacEm is free. (2) The URL I
    > gave is legacy. The up-to-date URL is http://www.fitsoftware.com/.

    , Aug 9, 2006

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > Two ways.
    >
    > Do it with SSI. Burn it onto the CD by taking a copy via HTTP. Use any
    > "backup this web site to disk" program, such as the many Firefox
    > extensions.

    I'm not clear on how this works. Do you mean if I develop it on a
    computer that has access to a web server (so I can use SSI) then do
    "backup this web site to disk", the pages that get saved will have the
    appropriate code (my nav menus) already included? That would work fine
    for my purposes...

    > Do it without SSI. Write your pages as SSI, then write/find a simple
    > Perl/Python script that does the equivalent to SSI by copying these
    > static pages to a new directory tree, merging in any SSI that they find.

    hmm, I do have a Perl interpreter installed already, so I will look for
    a script to do this (didn't know there was such a beast...:)

    thanks!
    mn

    , Aug 9, 2006
  8. Jack Guest

    wrote:
    > Andy Dingley wrote:
    >
    >> Two ways.
    >>
    >> Do it with SSI. Burn it onto the CD by taking a copy via HTTP. Use
    >> any "backup this web site to disk" program, such as the many
    >> Firefox extensions.

    > I'm not clear on how this works. Do you mean if I develop it on a
    > computer that has access to a web server (so I can use SSI) then do
    > "backup this web site to disk", the pages that get saved will have
    > the appropriate code (my nav menus) already included? That would
    > work fine for my purposes...

    I can only assume that's what Andy means; what he said is correct.

    I was going to suggest shipping an autorun webserver on the disk, to
    serve SSI HTML; but Andy's is a better way of doing it, so I remained
    silent.

    --
    Jack.

    Jack, Aug 9, 2006
  9. Joe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am new to html programming and have a question I hope someone can
    > help me with. I am working on a project to organize a lot of technical
    > information as a series of webpages. This information will ultimately
    > be distributed to users on a cd, and we don't want the users to have to
    > install anything, just bring up a browser and go to town.
    >
    > My problem is that I have read about (and created) a navigation/menu
    > system using html and css. I would like the nav menu to appear at the
    > top of each page, yet have the source code appear in only one file, for
    > ease of maintenece. I read about using server side includes to
    > accomplish this, but will that work given that I need to ultimately
    > distribute this package on a cd without knowing what the user will have
    > installed on their machine (besides a browser)? if it is possible, how
    > would I go about setting it up?
    >
    > If it's not possible, is there some other way to accomplish this?
    >
    > thanks for your help!
    > mn

    Google for "server2go".
    It's a nice little app that you put on the CD. When you insert the CD,
    Server2Go fires up, loads IE (unfortunately - instead of the machines
    default) and everything works like it ought to.
    I use it on a USB stick.

    Joe, Aug 10, 2006
  10. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am new to html programming and have a question I hope someone can
    > help me with. I am working on a project to organize a lot of technical
    > information as a series of webpages. This information will ultimately
    > be distributed to users on a cd, and we don't want the users to have to
    > install anything, just bring up a browser and go to town.
    >
    > My problem is that I have read about (and created) a navigation/menu
    > system using html and css. I would like the nav menu to appear at the
    > top of each page, yet have the source code appear in only one file, for
    > ease of maintenece. I read about using server side includes to
    > accomplish this, but will that work given that I need to ultimately
    > distribute this package on a cd without knowing what the user will have
    > installed on their machine (besides a browser)? if it is possible, how
    > would I go about setting it up?
    >
    > If it's not possible, is there some other way to accomplish this?
    >
    > thanks for your help!
    > mn

    1. You could use Server2go <http://www.server2go-web.de/> - a server that
    can be put on a CD (I haven't tried it but I saw it in a thread here a
    while back)
    2. Use a preprocessor as others have suggested
    3. Use frames - this is one of the few instances where frames might be
    okay, especially since they can be resized, and the user probably isn't
    going to be bookmarking.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Aug 15, 2006
  11. Joe Guest

    In article <Xns981FCD55BF05Earbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
    says...
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in
    >
    > > Hello,

    <{?webpage on a CD}
    > > mn
    > >

    > 1. You could use Server2go <http://www.server2go-web.de/> - a server that
    > can be put on a CD (I haven't tried it but I saw it in a thread here a
    > while back)

    yes, that's the one. I could NOT find the url when I suggested it
    earlier. Thanks Adrienne.

    Joe, Aug 15, 2006