NEWBIE - Learn ASP.NET using Visual Studio .NET 2003 or 2005

Phillip Vong

NEWBIE HERE. Never programed before so I'm looking for some help.

I understand some HMTL. I want to learn asp.net and I'm looking for a good
book that will teach me this using MS Visual Studio .Net 2003 or 2005. I
know you can do it all by notepad, but I'm not a hardcore programmer and I
like to get as much help as I can and I think MS Visual Studio can help me
out.

I've found a couple of books but they are all done in notepad and I'm not
interested in learning how to build label boxes and little things like that.
Just a book on asp.net using Visual Studio .net is all I'm looking for.

I have found a couple of books that touch off a little on Visual Studio, but
not a lot.

Thanks!

Phil

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The MSPress step-by-step books are the simplest for newbies. If you actually
do the exercises in the books, you will learn a lot.

Another great resource is the virtual labs Microsoft has available.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/virtuallabs/default.aspx

This is a hands on, and free, approach. Admitedly, they are highly targeted,
so you will have to do quite a few to make this a great learning resource.

--
Gregory A. Beamer

Think Outside the Box!

Alec MacLean

Also don't forget that you can get the Express versions of VS2005 (one for
Win forms, one for ASP.NET) FREE from Microsoft at the moment (see
http://www.asp.net). This also includes the option of SQL Server 2005
(WMSDE).

You can either install the MDSN helpfiles locally or use them online.
Choose local if possible, but if you have low diskspace and a fast Internet
connection, then online would be ok. These include code snippets as well as
the definitions of supplied functions, and objects, etc. Very handy!

As well as the Express toolkit, there are some quick start kits available
(also from MS) at http://www.asp.net which may help you get going.

http://www.codeproject.com also host a load of tutorials and example code,
how-to's etc. I recommend checking them out too.

Happy coding Phil!

Al