NEWBIE - Multicolumn Listbox populated from SQL statement

RockNRoll

Greetings,

I am attempting to generate a multicolumn listbox from a SQL statement in
ASP.NET. Below is my SQL Statement:

SELECT [PA01101].[PACONTNUMBER], [PA01101].[PAcontname] FROM [PA01101]

I would like a two column list box with [PACONTNUMBER] on the left and
[PAcontname] on the right. I can do this in MS Access with no problem, but
I do not know to get my datareader info into a multicolumn listbox. I can
do one column of data just fine, but cannot add the second column.

Thank you for your help,

-Dave

Guest

Declare the listbox on the .aspx page:
<asp:ListBox runat="server" id="LB" />

Then in code-behind, add the items as you iterate through the repeater:
'Get Repeater 'Data'...
While ( Data.Read() )
LB.Items.Add(New ListItem(Data.Item("Field1") + "-" + Data.Item("Field2"), Data.Item("Field1")))
End While

Note: The above code will have [Field1-Field2] as the text field and [Field1] as the value field for each item in the SqlDataReader

Raterus

concatenate two columns into one in your sql query

select column1 + column2 as multicolumn
from mytable

then have your datareader use "multicolumn" as your textfield. You'll probably have to do some spacing on top of this if you want the results in actual columns, but that should be easy enough.

Also there is a third party control that does multi-column listbox and some more stuff
http://easylistbox.com/demoQuickStart.aspx#easy

--Michael