newbie navbar question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Terry Liittschwager, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. For the past several years, my wife and some other ladies have had a little
    charity that provides comfort quilts to "at risk" children. Increasingly
    she has been getting asked if they had a website, so I decided to set one
    up for her. The website, comfortsforchildren.org is very amateurish thus
    far since I have no expertise in this area, but I'm learning - slowly,
    though, 67 year-old retired brains don't learn fast.

    Anyway, my current very basic question concerns the navigation bar on the
    upper left of each page. It's the same for each page, works fine, and is
    currently implemented with the following lines in each page:

    The problem is that whenever I want to add another line, I have to edit
    every page. I'm sure there must be some way to have those lines in a
    separate file, referenced by one line unchanging line in each page, so that
    when I change the navbar, I only have to do it in the one place. For the
    life of me, though, I haven't found out how to do that.

    I've tried using <link href="navbar.html" /> with navbar.html a file with
    those lines, but all that happens is that the navbar disappears.

    I've also tried @import, but it appears that only works within a style
    definition.

    So, could someone point me in the right direction?

    Any and all suggestions will be most welcome.

    Terry L

    Terry Liittschwager, Nov 12, 2006

  2. Terry Liittschwager

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Terry Liittschwager wrote:
    > Anyway, my current very basic question concerns the navigation bar on
    > the upper left of each page. It's the same for each page, works
    > fine, and is currently implemented with the following lines in each
    > page:
    > The problem is that whenever I want to add another line, I have to
    > edit every page. I'm sure there must be some way to have those lines
    > in a separate file, referenced by one line unchanging line in each
    > page, so that when I change the navbar, I only have to do it in the
    > one place.

    If your server supports PHP (ask your host):
    - Place the menu code in a separate file: navbar.html
    - Make a new file test.php with content: <?php include "navbar.html"; ?>
    - Upload test.php to te server and open it
    - If the menu is shown: rename your pages to *.php and replace the menu code
    with the include string

    Alternatives: http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    --
    Nico Schuyt
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 12, 2006

  3. On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 20:08:17 -0800, in alt.html Terry Liittschwager
    <> wrote:

    >Anyway, my current very basic question concerns the navigation bar on the
    >upper left of each page. It's the same for each page, works fine, and is
    >currently implemented with the following lines in each page:

    >The problem is that whenever I want to add another line, I have to edit
    >every page. I'm sure there must be some way to have those lines in a
    >separate file, referenced by one line unchanging line in each page, so that
    >when I change the navbar, I only have to do it in the one place. For the
    >life of me, though, I haven't found out how to do that.

    Is it my imagination, or is this question popping up more and more
    often of late? Not picking on you, Terry, but this question is asked
    in one or another of the html newsgroups on a near-daily basis.

    At any rate, your options are:

    1. Server-Side Includes, if your ISP enables such. Make your menu a
    stand-alone file, then place a line similar to

    <!--#include virtual="menufile.htm"-->

    where you want your menu to appear.

    2. IFRAME. A bit more involved; also uses a stand-alone menu file. See
    the source of http://home.grandecom.net/~cvproj/carrier.htm for an
    example. Details about IFRAME can be found at
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/special/iframe.html

    For the record, my site - which I give as the example above - contains
    nearly 300 individual pages, all of which use the same menu.

    There may be other ways of accomplishing the task, but these are the
    two easiest to apply, IMO.

    --
    William Hughes, San Antonio, Texas:
    The Carrier Project: http://home.grandecom.net/~cvproj/carrier.htm

    William Hughes, Nov 12, 2006
  4. Terry Liittschwager

    Vince Morgan Guest

    "Terry Liittschwager" <> wrote in message
    > For the past several years, my wife and some other ladies have had a

    little
    > charity that provides comfort quilts to "at risk" children. Increasingly
    > she has been getting asked if they had a website, so I decided to set one
    > up for her. The website, comfortsforchildren.org is very amateurish thus
    > far since I have no expertise in this area, but I'm learning - slowly,
    > though, 67 year-old retired brains don't learn fast.
    >
    > Anyway, my current very basic question concerns the navigation bar on the
    > upper left of each page. It's the same for each page, works fine, and is
    > currently implemented with the following lines in each page:

    > The problem is that whenever I want to add another line, I have to edit
    > every page. I'm sure there must be some way to have those lines in a
    > separate file, referenced by one line unchanging line in each page, so

    that
    > when I change the navbar, I only have to do it in the one place. For the
    > life of me, though, I haven't found out how to do that.
    >
    > I've tried using <link href="navbar.html" /> with navbar.html a file with
    > those lines, but all that happens is that the navbar disappears.
    >
    > I've also tried @import, but it appears that only works within a style
    > definition.
    >
    > So, could someone point me in the right direction?
    >
    > Any and all suggestions will be most welcome.
    >
    > Terry L

    What about a frame? Not the recomended route these days, but considering
    the circumstances, are they realy that evil?
    I know there are issues with printing etc, etc, but are these issues a
    problem for this particular site?
    If you don't have access to a php engine, or similar, it seems to be a
    plausible solution in this case.
    <caveat>
    My HTML knowledge is largely miniscule :)
    </caveat>
    Regards,
    Vince Morgan

    Vince Morgan, Nov 12, 2006
  5. Terry Liittschwager

    carolyn Guest

    Terry Liittschwager wrote:

    > For the past several years, my wife and some other ladies have had a
    > little
    > charity that provides comfort quilts to "at risk" children. Increasingly
    > she has been getting asked if they had a website, so I decided to set one
    > up for her. The website, comfortsforchildren.org is very amateurish thus
    > far since I have no expertise in this area, but I'm learning - slowly,
    > though, 67 year-old retired brains don't learn fast.
    >
    > Anyway, my current very basic question concerns the navigation bar on the
    > upper left of each page. It's the same for each page, works fine, and is
    > currently implemented with the following lines in each page:

    > The problem is that whenever I want to add another line, I have to edit
    > every page. I'm sure there must be some way to have those lines in a
    > separate file, referenced by one line unchanging line in each page, so
    > that
    > when I change the navbar, I only have to do it in the one place. For the
    > life of me, though, I haven't found out how to do that.
    >
    > I've tried using <link href="navbar.html" /> with navbar.html a file with
    > those lines, but all that happens is that the navbar disappears.
    >
    > I've also tried @import, but it appears that only works within a style
    > definition.
    >
    > So, could someone point me in the right direction?
    >
    > Any and all suggestions will be most welcome.
    >
    > Terry L

    I think the simplest thing to do, if your server supports it, is server side
    includes. No PHP to learn - you can learn it later if you want to. No
    frames. All you need to do is...

    1. Cut and paste the menu lines <div class="navbar"> ... </div> into a file
    such as menu.html
    2. Insert a line <!--#include virtual="menu.html"--> into each file where
    the menu is to appear.
    3. Rename each content file index.shtml, policies.shtml, and so forth.

    The *.shtml instructs your server, if configured for it, to parse the file
    for SSI (Server Side Includes) instructions such as the #include. In this
    particular case it would insert the content of menu.html into the file at
    that location of the code. It then streams the entire 'virtual' page to
    the end user.

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger

    carolyn, Nov 12, 2006
  6. Terry Liittschwager

    Guest

    On 12-Nov-2006, Terry Liittschwager <> wrote:

    > The problem is that whenever I want to add another line, I have to edit
    > every page. I'm sure there must be some way to have those lines in a
    > separate file, referenced by one line unchanging line in each page, so that
    > when I change the navbar, I only have to do it in the one place. For the
    > life of me, though, I haven't found out how to do that.

    One easy solution is "Search and Replace" software, on every
    page I have a comment
    <!--- NAVBAR --->
    navigation HTML links in between
    <!--- END NAVBAR -->
    I change it on one page, select and copy including
    the two comments, paste into search and replace,
    using a wildcard, in my case * between the comments.
    Then it replaces the two comments and the new
    navigation menu on every page.
    I use Alert Search and Replace, but there are many
    similar programs. You just need one that supports
    wildcards that match everything.
    As with
    <!--- NAVBAR --->*<!--- END NAVBAR -->
    The new navigation replaces the old.
    Another useful tool is
    Type it In, there are many similar tools.
    You create the string associated with a button.
    Highlight what you want to replace, press the
    button, it's done.
    Also very useful for snippets of code you use
    regularly, such as styles.
    You could write a button for
    saves hours.
    Hope this helps.
    Another way is frames but that opens a whole can of
    nasty worms.

    , Nov 12, 2006
  7. Terry Liittschwager wrote:

    > For the past several years, my wife and some other ladies have had a
    > little
    > charity that provides comfort quilts to "at risk" children. Increasingly
    > she has been getting asked if they had a website, so I decided to set one
    > up for her. The website, comfortsforchildren.org is very amateurish thus
    > far since I have no expertise in this area, but I'm learning - slowly,
    > though, 67 year-old retired brains don't learn fast.
    >
    > Anyway, my current very basic question concerns the navigation bar on the
    > upper left of each page. It's the same for each page, works fine, and is
    > currently implemented with the following lines in each page:

    > The problem is that whenever I want to add another line, I have to edit
    > every page. I'm sure there must be some way to have those lines in a
    > separate file, referenced by one line unchanging line in each page, so
    > that
    > when I change the navbar, I only have to do it in the one place. For the
    > life of me, though, I haven't found out how to do that.
    >
    > I've tried using <link href="navbar.html" /> with navbar.html a file with
    > those lines, but all that happens is that the navbar disappears.
    >
    > I've also tried @import, but it appears that only works within a style
    > definition.
    >
    > So, could someone point me in the right direction?
    >
    > Any and all suggestions will be most welcome.
    >
    > Terry L

    My thanks to all who replied, giving me the various options available.

    I must admit that it really surprises me there is no provision in the
    language itself for doing this directly. Every other computing language
    I've ever worked with has the ability to do this with ease without having
    to invoke some peripheral process. Oh, well, such is life.

    I think the easiest thing for me is to just write an emacs macro to do it.
    Not a biggie.

    Again, many thanks to all who replied for the info. I was really batting my
    head against the wall, not realizing that what I was searching for didn't
    exist in the manner that I had convinced myself it had to be.

    Terry L

    Terry Liittschwager, Nov 12, 2006
  8. Terry Liittschwager

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Terry Liittschwager wrote:
    > Terry Liittschwager wrote:

    > [How to include a menu on every page]

    > My thanks to all who replied, giving me the various options available.
    > I must admit that it really surprises me there is no provision in the
    > language itself for doing this directly.

    Frames

    --
    Nico Schuyt
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 12, 2006
  9. Terry Liittschwager

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    In article <455766f5$0$31558$>,
    says...
    > Terry Liittschwager wrote:

    <snip>

    > > The problem is that whenever I want to add another line, I have to edit
    > > every page. I'm sure there must be some way to have those lines in a
    > > separate file, referenced by one line unchanging line in each page, so
    > > that
    > > when I change the navbar, I only have to do it in the one place. For the
    > > life of me, though, I haven't found out how to do that.

    <snip>

    > > Any and all suggestions will be most welcome.
    > >

    > My thanks to all who replied, giving me the various options available.
    >
    > I must admit that it really surprises me there is no provision in the
    > language itself for doing this directly. Every other computing language
    > I've ever worked with has the ability to do this with ease without having
    > to invoke some peripheral process. Oh, well, such is life.

    HTML is a *MARKUP* language, not a *programming* language.
    As others have said, your options are -

    "Include" files (either with SSI, CGI or PHP - google for them, or visit
    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another for good info).
    Preprocessing (of which multi- search and replace is a crude example)

    --
    Aussies please visit -
    Water saving tips: http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/

    Joe (GKF), Nov 13, 2006
  10. Terry Liittschwager

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Joe (GKF) <> wrote:

    > http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/

    "Limit showers to 5 minutes."

    Christ mate, this is generous advice! Unless you are really
    dirty, washing hair or something, it is not necessary to hang
    about for 5 min in a shower. I'd say 2 mins generally, especially
    for city slickers. Me, I am bored after 30 secs!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 14, 2006
  11. Terry Liittschwager

    Sid Guest

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:28:50 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    : Unless you are really
    : dirty, washing hair or something, it is not necessary to hang
    : about for 5 min in a shower. I'd say 2 mins generally, especially
    : for city slickers. Me, I am bored after 30 secs!

    I do my day planning in the shower. And I usually have long days...

    Sid

    Sid, Nov 14, 2006
  12. Terry Liittschwager

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Terry Liittschwager wrote:

    > I must admit that it really surprises me there is no provision in the
    > language itself for doing this directly.

    If you allowed includes in HTML, then you could have this situation:

    I am in a DIV.
    <include file="foo.html">
    I am in the same DIV.

    Where "foo.html" is:

    Then the meaning, and the generated tree of the first document is
    changed when the second file loads up. For this reason, it has always
    been that when an HTML file is sent to a browser, it is always the whole
    thing in one file.

    This doesn't mean that you can't keep your navigation bar separate: it
    just means that the inclusion must happen *before* the page gets sent to
    the browser -- i.e. on the server.

    That's the logic of it anyway.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Nov 14, 2006
  13. Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    > If you allowed includes in HTML, then you could have this situation:

    From the example to follow it seems you're talking about client-side
    includes, right?

    > I am in a DIV.
    > <include file="foo.html">
    > I am in the same DIV.
    >
    > Where "foo.html" is:

    > Then the meaning, and the generated tree of the first document is
    > changed when the second file loads up. For this reason, it has always
    > been that when an HTML file is sent to a browser, it is always the whole
    > thing in one file.

    I'm confused. Why can't exactly the same problem happen with SSI (which
    strictly speaking, is not part of HTML, but is used closely with it)?
    I.e., what difference can it make whether the include functionality is
    client-side or server-side? With respect to generating broken or
    unintended constructs, it looks like they have equal potential.

    --
    Joel.

    Joel Shepherd, Nov 14, 2006
  14. Terry Liittschwager

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Joel Shepherd wrote:

    > I'm confused. Why can't exactly the same problem happen with SSI (which
    > strictly speaking, is not part of HTML, but is used closely with it)?

    It does happen, but it's not a problem there.

    > I.e., what difference can it make whether the include functionality is
    > client-side or server-side?

    Because the client needs to build a DOM tree out of the HTML file, whereas
    the server doesn't. So it matters to the client whether an include could
    possibly break the DOM tree, whereas it doesn't matter to the server.

    The obvious solution is that the client could perform the inclusion
    *before* building a DOM tree, but that requires a two-pass parse, which
    would slow down rendering.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Nov 14, 2006
  15. Terry Liittschwager

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    In article <doraymeRidThis-9AF097.13285014112006@news-
    vip.optusnet.com.au>, says...
    > In article <>,
    > Joe (GKF) <> wrote:
    >
    > > http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/

    > "Limit showers to 5 minutes."
    >
    > Christ mate, this is generous advice! Unless you are really
    > dirty, washing hair or something, it is not necessary to hang
    > about for 5 min in a shower. I'd say 2 mins generally, especially
    > for city slickers. Me, I am bored after 30 secs!

    ummm - I'm a farmer. When I have a shower, it's because I *NEED* a
    shower!!
    I usually shave and wash my hair - got the whole thing down to about
    four minutes, so yeah, I guess I wam (cross between was and am) being
    generous. I should change it.

    Of course, I realise Martians have less affinity with running water than
    even the Poms, but that's beside the point.

    I haven't had one for about a week as it happens; the bloody pump went
    bang so we don't have any water to spare until it's fixed. On the up
    side, we did get about 7mm of rain over the last few days.
    Which is really bad for the wheat cockies; they're trying to reap what
    little they have. NOt all that flash for us either; you can't pack wet
    fruit.

    Joe (GKF), Nov 15, 2006
  16. Terry Liittschwager

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:28:50 +1100, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > : Unless you are really
    > : dirty, washing hair or something, it is not necessary to hang
    > : about for 5 min in a shower. I'd say 2 mins generally, especially
    > : for city slickers. Me, I am bored after 30 secs!
    >

    > I do my day planning in the shower. And I usually have long days...
    >
    > Sid

    That's what the dunny is for.

    Joe (GKF), Nov 15, 2006
  17. Terry Liittschwager

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Joe (GKF) <> wrote:

    > In article <doraymeRidThis-9AF097.13285014112006@news-
    > vip.optusnet.com.au>, says...
    > > In article <>,
    > > Joe (GKF) <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/

    > > "Limit showers to 5 minutes."
    > >
    > > Christ mate, this is generous advice! Unless you are really
    > > dirty, washing hair or something, it is not necessary to hang
    > > about for 5 min in a shower. I'd say 2 mins generally, especially
    > > for city slickers. Me, I am bored after 30 secs!
    > >

    > ummm - I'm a farmer. When I have a shower, it's because I *NEED* a
    > shower!!
    > I usually shave and wash my hair - got the whole thing down to about
    > four minutes, so yeah, I guess I wam (cross between was and am) being
    > generous. I should change it.
    >
    > Of course, I realise Martians have less affinity with running water than
    > even the Poms, but that's beside the point.

    ok ok... calm down... was meaning the no-good, lazy, do-nothing
    majority of city slickers who are mostly concerned to be sweetly
    odoured for the bus/train trip into town...

    <rave>I knew someone would bring up this business of the poms...
    I reckon that we are running out of water because of a national
    myth that has been going on at least since after WW2 and the £10
    migration scheme. It is very Australian to be showering a lot,
    and each shower is like... well... a sort of matter of national
    honour. At least for everyone except the farmer. It is especially
    prevalent practice in fierce backers of the Australian cricket
    team during the Ashes games. Yes, I have made a study of it and
    yes the water usage rate goes up in that period. It unnerves the
    Poms, both the players and the Balmy Army that come out.</rave>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 15, 2006
  18. Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    > Joel Shepherd wrote:

    > > I.e., what difference can it make whether the include functionality is
    > > client-side or server-side?

    > Because the client needs to build a DOM tree out of the HTML file, whereas
    > the server doesn't. So it matters to the client whether an include could
    > possibly break the DOM tree, whereas it doesn't matter to the server.

    Sure, but the statement wasn't who it matters to, it was that dumb
    includes on either end are just as likely to hork the page.

    Also the server _could_ build a DOM tree, and _could_ be concerned about
    whether it's structurally what is expected. It doesn't have to, but it
    could.

    > The obvious solution is that the client could perform the inclusion
    > *before* building a DOM tree, but that requires a two-pass parse, which
    > would slow down rendering.

    That might sound obvious to you, but it sounds close to impossible to
    me. Going back to your original example: the HTML post-include is valid
    (IIRC), but not what the author intended semantically. If you can write
    a client to draw that distinction and automatically make the appropriate
    correction, I'll be _very_ impressed.

    If anything, that sounds like something that could possibly be addressed
    on the server, since the server could have knowledge of what the
    semantic structure of the page should be. (Not saying that's easy or
    practical: but it is possible.) The client can't possibly know what the
    correct structure should be ... so how is your solution the obvious one?

    --
    Joel.

    http://www.cv6.org/
    "May she also say with just pride:
    I have done the State some service."

    Joel Shepherd, Nov 15, 2006
  19. Terry Liittschwager

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    In article <doraymeRidThis-4CCB43.14123515112006@news-
    vip.optusnet.com.au>, says...
    > In article <>,
    > Joe (GKF) <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <doraymeRidThis-9AF097.13285014112006@news-
    > > vip.optusnet.com.au>, says...

    > > > "Limit showers to 5 minutes."
    > > >
    > > > Christ mate, this is generous advice! Unless you are really
    > > > dirty, washing hair or something, it is not necessary to hang
    > > > about for 5 min in a shower. I'd say 2 mins generally, especially
    > > > for city slickers. Me, I am bored after 30 secs!
    > > >

    > > ummm - I'm a farmer. When I have a shower, it's because I *NEED* a
    > > shower!!
    > > I usually shave and wash my hair - got the whole thing down to about
    > > four minutes, so yeah, I guess I wam (cross between was and am) being
    > > generous. I should change it.
    > >
    > > Of course, I realise Martians have less affinity with running water than
    > > even the Poms, but that's beside the point.
    > >

    > ok ok... calm down... was meaning the no-good, lazy, do-nothing
    > majority of city slickers who are mostly concerned to be sweetly
    > odoured for the bus/train trip into town...
    >
    > <rave>I knew someone would bring up this business of the poms...
    > I reckon that we are running out of water because of a national
    > myth that has been going on at least since after WW2 and the £10
    > migration scheme. It is very Australian to be showering a lot,
    > and each shower is like... well... a sort of matter of national
    > honour. At least for everyone except the farmer. It is especially
    > prevalent practice in fierce backers of the Australian cricket
    > team during the Ashes games. Yes, I have made a study of it and
    > yes the water usage rate goes up in that period. It unnerves the
    > Poms, both the players and the Balmy Army that come out.</rave>

    Priceless. I am going to steal this message and send it to everyone I
    know.

    Joe (GKF), Nov 16, 2006