Newbie Navigation questions

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DaKitty, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    I work in Dreamweaver.
    What is the best way to handle navigation bars when making a website? Mainly
    so it doesn't have to be updated on each page individually if something
    changes?
    I hear Frames are not the best way to go?

    Do I make a template? With templates I find that there is often something I
    forgot to make into an editable region, and ultimately goof myself up and
    wind up detaching pages from the template... Probably chalk it up to
    inexperience???

    Can you make a navigation bar as a server side include? I dabbled with it a
    little bit the other day, and can't get it to work right. It shows up in
    dreamweaver, but not on the testing server, apache cased... using <!--
    include... (or whatever the syntax is, I don't know it yet without looking
    it up.)

    Some other way? Any good tutorials/tips and tricks on this?

    Thanks a bunch :)

    DaKitty, Nov 11, 2004

  2. DaKitty enlightened us with:
    > What is the best way to handle navigation bars when making a
    > website? Mainly so it doesn't have to be updated on each page
    > individually if something changes?

    I found Smarty (built in PHP) a very good choice.

    > I hear Frames are not the best way to go?

    Nope.

    Sybren

    Sybren Stuvel, Nov 11, 2004

  3. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    "DaKitty" <> wrote in message
    > I work in Dreamweaver.
    > What is the best way to handle navigation bars when making a website?

    Mainly
    > so it doesn't have to be updated on each page individually if something
    > changes?
    > I hear Frames are not the best way to go?
    >
    > Do I make a template? With templates I find that there is often something

    > forgot to make into an editable region, and ultimately goof myself up and
    > wind up detaching pages from the template... Probably chalk it up to
    > inexperience???
    >
    > Can you make a navigation bar as a server side include? I dabbled with it

    > little bit the other day, and can't get it to work right. It shows up in
    > dreamweaver, but not on the testing server, apache cased... using <!--
    > include... (or whatever the syntax is, I don't know it yet without looking
    > it up.)
    >
    > Some other way? Any good tutorials/tips and tricks on this?
    >
    > Thanks a bunch :)

    okay, so I found the Ask Leo tutorial about SSI's...
    I have a really stupid question!

    the line: <!--#include FILE="b.inc" -->
    Is my file extension going to be .inc? or is it .htm in case of html file?
    If I include the html file, I take it I only need the body part, not the
    entire page?
    If that page has some JSP in it in order to function, do I need to do
    anything special to them?

    here's a link to the page I was trying to use as a SSI to another page:
    http://www.mastersmvnswim.org/images/buttons1/buttons1.htm

    Can I put an SSI into a dreamweaver layer or is that not a good idea?

    DaKitty, Nov 11, 2004
  4. DaKitty

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html DaKitty said:

    > What is the best way to handle navigation bars when making a website? Mainly
    > so it doesn't have to be updated on each page individually if something
    > changes?

    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 11, 2004
  5. In article <RYxkd.260015$a85.215343@fed1read04>,
    says...
    > I work in Dreamweaver.
    > What is the best way to handle navigation bars when making a website? Mainly
    > so it doesn't have to be updated on each page individually if something
    > changes?
    > I hear Frames are not the best way to go?

    I prefer links, just plain ol links.

    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Nov 11, 2004
  6. In article <2lykd.260874$a85.149850@fed1read04>, "DaKitty"
    <> wrote:

    > okay, so I found the Ask Leo tutorial about SSI's...
    > I have a really stupid question!

    I don't even remember writing it ;-) There could be more than one person
    calling themselves leo I suppose.

    > the line: <!--#include FILE="b.inc" -->
    > Is my file extension going to be .inc? or is it .htm in case of html file?
    > If I include the html file, I take it I only need the body part, not the
    > entire page?

    A famous error is writing a complete HTML file and doing an include on it.
    Then you get two heads and/or two bodies, etc in the file you are
    including in. Give thought to the included file so that it makes
    structural sense in the including document.

    > Can I put an SSI into a dreamweaver layer or is that not a good idea?

    No idea.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Nov 11, 2004
  7. DaKitty

    Neredbojias Guest

    Without quill or qualm, DaKitty quothed:

    > "DaKitty" <> wrote in message
    > > I work in Dreamweaver.
    > > What is the best way to handle navigation bars when making a website?

    > Mainly
    > > so it doesn't have to be updated on each page individually if something
    > > changes?
    > > I hear Frames are not the best way to go?
    > >
    > > Do I make a template? With templates I find that there is often something

    > > forgot to make into an editable region, and ultimately goof myself up and
    > > wind up detaching pages from the template... Probably chalk it up to
    > > inexperience???
    > >
    > > Can you make a navigation bar as a server side include? I dabbled with it

    > > little bit the other day, and can't get it to work right. It shows up in
    > > dreamweaver, but not on the testing server, apache cased... using <!--
    > > include... (or whatever the syntax is, I don't know it yet without looking
    > > it up.)
    > >
    > > Some other way? Any good tutorials/tips and tricks on this?
    > >
    > > Thanks a bunch :)

    > okay, so I found the Ask Leo tutorial about SSI's...
    > I have a really stupid question!
    >
    > the line: <!--#include FILE="b.inc" -->
    > Is my file extension going to be .inc? or is it .htm in case of html file?
    > If I include the html file, I take it I only need the body part, not the
    > entire page?

    The file you include into the html document is just a text file -
    comprised of the same text that you'd otherwise enter by hand. The
    extension can be .txt or .doc or anything not otherwise mimed.

    > If that page has some JSP in it in order to function, do I need to do
    > anything special to them?
    >
    > here's a link to the page I was trying to use as a SSI to another page:
    > http://www.mastersmvnswim.org/images/buttons1/buttons1.htm
    >
    > Can I put an SSI into a dreamweaver layer or is that not a good idea?

    Code by hand. Slower (maybe) but better.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Nov 11, 2004
  8. DaKitty

    Big Bill Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:37:31 -0500, Travis Newbury <>
    wrote:

    >In article <RYxkd.260015$a85.215343@fed1read04>,
    > says...
    >> I work in Dreamweaver.
    >> What is the best way to handle navigation bars when making a website? Mainly
    >> so it doesn't have to be updated on each page individually if something
    >> changes?
    >> I hear Frames are not the best way to go?

    >I prefer links, just plain ol links.

    Frames are bad news.

    BB
    -
    http://www.kruse.co.uk
    home of SEO that's shiny!

    Big Bill, Nov 11, 2004
  9. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    "Leonard Blaisdell" <> wrote in message
    > In article <2lykd.260874$a85.149850@fed1read04>, "DaKitty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > okay, so I found the Ask Leo tutorial about SSI's...
    > > I have a really stupid question!

    > I don't even remember writing it ;-) There could be more than one person
    > calling themselves leo I suppose.
    >
    > > the line: <!--#include FILE="b.inc" -->
    > > Is my file extension going to be .inc? or is it .htm in case of html

    file?
    > > If I include the html file, I take it I only need the body part, not the
    > > entire page?

    > A famous error is writing a complete HTML file and doing an include on it.

    Ah! I discovered that the hard way yesterday!

    > Then you get two heads and/or two bodies, etc in the file you are
    > including in. Give thought to the included file so that it makes
    > structural sense in the including document.

    It works in dreamweaver, but when I upload thing to the website, or just
    test it in IE locally, nothing is showing up.
    I have pages that other people created, with the include, and when I test
    them, they work, on the server and locally... So, it must be me doing
    something wrong, and I haven't figured out what it is yet!
    Frustrating! :(
    Well, I just scrapped what I did yesterday, and going to try it from
    scratch, see what happens.

    Thank You for the Help :)

    DaKitty, Nov 11, 2004
  10. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    > Without quill or qualm, DaKitty quothed:
    >

    > > "DaKitty" <> wrote in message
    > > > I work in Dreamweaver.
    > > > What is the best way to handle navigation bars when making a website?

    > > Mainly
    > > > so it doesn't have to be updated on each page individually if

    something
    > > > changes?
    > > > I hear Frames are not the best way to go?
    > > >
    > > > Do I make a template? With templates I find that there is often

    something
    > > > forgot to make into an editable region, and ultimately goof myself up

    and
    > > > wind up detaching pages from the template... Probably chalk it up to
    > > > inexperience???
    > > >
    > > > Can you make a navigation bar as a server side include? I dabbled

    with it
    > > > little bit the other day, and can't get it to work right. It shows up

    in
    > > > dreamweaver, but not on the testing server, apache cased... using <!--
    > > > include... (or whatever the syntax is, I don't know it yet without

    looking
    > > > it up.)
    > > >
    > > > Some other way? Any good tutorials/tips and tricks on this?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks a bunch :)

    > > okay, so I found the Ask Leo tutorial about SSI's...
    > > I have a really stupid question!
    > >
    > > the line: <!--#include FILE="b.inc" -->
    > > Is my file extension going to be .inc? or is it .htm in case of html

    file?
    > > If I include the html file, I take it I only need the body part, not the
    > > entire page?

    > The file you include into the html document is just a text file -
    > comprised of the same text that you'd otherwise enter by hand. The
    > extension can be .txt or .doc or anything not otherwise mimed.

    Yea, that's what I'm starting to gather.
    Still can't get it to show up in IE :-\ [scratching head]

    > > If that page has some JSP in it in order to function, do I need to do
    > > anything special to them?
    > >
    > > here's a link to the page I was trying to use as a SSI to another page:
    > > http://www.mastersmvnswim.org/images/buttons1/buttons1.htm
    > >
    > > Can I put an SSI into a dreamweaver layer or is that not a good idea?

    > Code by hand. Slower (maybe) but better.

    I wish! I'm still too green for that.
    I do have the code window open in dreamweaver. Learning as I go. I can make
    some edits in code, but can't assemble the whole page yet.

    DaKitty, Nov 11, 2004
  11. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.html DaKitty said:
    >
    > > What is the best way to handle navigation bars when making a website?

    Mainly
    > > so it doesn't have to be updated on each page individually if something
    > > changes?

    > http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    Thank You!
    (I'm still having issues making it work though)

    DaKitty, Nov 11, 2004
  12. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    DaKitty, Nov 11, 2004
  13. DaKitty

    Neal Guest

    DaKitty wrote:
    > Inside a layer too!

    Layer? I don't even know 'er.

    Neal, Nov 12, 2004
  14. DaKitty

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Nov 12, 2004
  15. Sybren Stuvel, Nov 12, 2004
  16. DaKitty

    Neredbojias Guest

    Without quill or qualm, DaKitty quothed:

    > > Code by hand. Slower (maybe) but better.

    > I wish! I'm still too green for that.
    > I do have the code window open in dreamweaver. Learning as I go. I can make
    > some edits in code, but can't assemble the whole page yet.

    It takes time. Nobody learns it in a day. As far as not getting the SSI
    in IE, I think it's less to do with IE as a bad browser than something
    regarding the code or server. Not all servers do SSI.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Nov 12, 2004
  17. DaKitty

    > Without quill or qualm, DaKitty quothed:
    >
    > > > Code by hand. Slower (maybe) but better.

    > > I wish! I'm still too green for that.
    > > I do have the code window open in dreamweaver. Learning as I go. I can

    make
    > > some edits in code, but can't assemble the whole page yet.

    > It takes time. Nobody learns it in a day. As far as not getting the SSI
    > in IE, I think it's less to do with IE as a bad browser than something
    > regarding the code or server. Not all servers do SSI.

    I ended up making it work last night... Started from scratch and did it all
    over again, and this time it worked.
    I hate it when I don't know what went wrong the first time...
    Chalk it up to user error! Hmmpfh!

    DaKitty, Nov 12, 2004
  18. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    "Neal" <> wrote in message
    > DaKitty wrote:
    > > Inside a layer too!

    > Layer? I don't even know 'er.well, ask for her name before you do!

    Well, darn, ask for her name before you do, will ya!
    Sheesh, the Manners! ;) :p

    DaKitty, Nov 12, 2004
  19. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    DaKitty, Nov 12, 2004
  20. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    > Previously in alt.html, DaKitty <> said:
    >
    > > Inside a layer too!

    > http://dorward.me.uk/www/layers/

    Ah!
    Thanks for the info!