    order to accomplish this.

    Thanks Bob
    , Dec 4, 2005

    I should maybe mention that I want to this on a win XP computer

    Bob
    , Dec 4, 2005

  3. wrote:

    > I'm a newbie, just got through van Rossum's tutorial and I would like
    > to try a small project of my own. Here's the description of my project.
    >
    > When the program starts a light blue semi-transparent area, size 128 by
    > 102, is placed in the middle of the screen. The user can move this
    > area with arrow the keys. When the user hits the Enter key, a magnified
    > picture of the chosen area is shown on the screen (10 times
    > magnification on a 1280 by 1024 monitor). When the user hits the Enter
    > key the program exits leaving the screen as it was before the program
    > started.
    >
    > Could someone direct me what libraries and modules I should study in
    > order to accomplish this.

    I'd try something easier (with less interaction with Windows). Pygame should
    provide everything you need for this kind of applications:
    http://www.pygame.org/

    Then you can use pywin32 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32) to bind
    to the Windows API and accomplish what you need.
    --
    Giovanni Bajo
    Giovanni Bajo, Dec 4, 2005

    Thanks for the advice,
    The reason for the choice of my particular test project is that it is
    in the direction that I want to go in so choosing some other won't do.
    I've looked briefly at PyGame but this means I have to learn a lot
    besides what I want to do.

    I thought that maybe my project could be accomplishied using Tkinter
    (or possibly wxPython) and PIL. Am I on the wrong track, or should I
    invest my time into PyGame even if I don't plan to make games?

    Bob
    , Dec 5, 2005
  5. wrote:
    > Thanks for the advice,
    > The reason for the choice of my particular test project is that it is
    > in the direction that I want to go in so choosing some other won't do.
    > I've looked briefly at PyGame but this means I have to learn a lot
    > besides what I want to do.
    >
    > I thought that maybe my project could be accomplishied using Tkinter
    > (or possibly wxPython) and PIL. Am I on the wrong track, or should I
    > invest my time into PyGame even if I don't plan to make games?
    >
    > Bob

    What you do not understand is that your project requires you to read the
    screen under your "lens" and track the "position" on the screen. Those
    things are all aspects of the OS and display system, not the language.
    So, you'll have to figure out a lot about your system while you are
    still unsure of the language itself. That is why we are saying this is
    too tough a first project. Reduce your problem: make a movable circle
    on a canvas. Next put a background picture under the circle of the
    canvas. Then try to your magnification trick on the background. Only
    after you can do all of that should you try to get onto the desktop.

    Don't be so concerned about "having to learn too much" -- that learning
    is the whole point of initial projects. You don't know what you need
    to know now, so you are not in a position to make a well-informed choice
    of what you need to know.

    --
    -Scott David Daniels
    Scott David Daniels, Dec 5, 2005