NEWBIE NEEDS DIRECTION

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by John, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have found almost all the answers I needed on this newgroup and am
    grateful for all of the help. I'm hoping this time I will still find
    answers I need although they are not as cut and dry as the previous.

    I have been developing asp sites on the side for about 4 years now. I have
    learned from what I can see more then I could have expected. I was in
    teaching in a totally unrelated field until recently and now I am
    considering going into this fulltime. The first problem that comes to mind
    is that while I have a graduate degree almost none of my educational
    background reflects the skill sets I would need for a programming career. I
    have learned a lot in 4 years on my own but I need to hustle to round out
    what skills I do have to get started.

    I just finished my first site for someone that is data driven and uses all
    the compulsory ASP technologies. I went into this project with the intent
    to go in with both barrells, make mistakes, finish it anyway I could, and
    analyze the mistakes so I could begin the process of filling in the gaps.
    Here are the things I've identified as things in dire need of improvement.
    I'd appreciate suggestions on books that will teach these things "properly"
    and not leave me ripping my hair out at 2AM.

    1). RDBMS and how it relates to website DB's. I've take a course on this
    and have a basic concept for normalizing data but I don't know how to use
    and call on that data on a website. For example, I don't know call on field
    that in table is a number that uniquely relates to another field in another
    table and produce the "name" not the "ID". I suspect that this is done with
    JOIN's but these get confusing and I need to understand them BEFORE I design
    my next database, not AFTER when it's too late. Not knowing forces me to
    ignore normalization in favor of what I know how to do on the front end.

    2). SQL syntax for Access (can't get to SQL server, no money right now). I
    waste countless hours trying to get SQL strings to work either due to syntax
    or delimter problems, etc. I suspect again that understanding Queries
    (stored proc's when I can get hands on SQL server) and the Parameters
    collection is the right direction. I have Wrox's ASP 3.0 but I need a more
    in- depth explanation.

    3). JavaScript client side or something else? I'm having validation issues
    on the client side and don't know how for to go into JS. I don't have a lot
    of time being a career changer and while I know I'll have to learn it sooner
    or later I need to know "how much is too much" at this point.

    4). Should I learn more intensive VBScript "now" or learn it as I go?

    5). At what point should I move into other technologies such as XML? What's
    hot? What's not?

    Thanks to all!
    John, Feb 22, 2005

  2. John

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "John"
    <> writing in

    > I have found almost all the answers I needed on this newgroup and am
    > grateful for all of the help. I'm hoping this time I will still find
    > answers I need although they are not as cut and dry as the previous.
    >
    > I have been developing asp sites on the side for about 4 years now. I
    > have learned from what I can see more then I could have expected. I
    > was in teaching in a totally unrelated field until recently and now I
    > am considering going into this fulltime. The first problem that comes
    > to mind is that while I have a graduate degree almost none of my
    > educational background reflects the skill sets I would need for a
    > programming career. I have learned a lot in 4 years on my own but I
    > need to hustle to round out what skills I do have to get started.
    >
    > I just finished my first site for someone that is data driven and uses
    > all the compulsory ASP technologies. I went into this project with the
    > intent to go in with both barrells, make mistakes, finish it anyway I
    > could, and analyze the mistakes so I could begin the process of filling
    > in the gaps. Here are the things I've identified as things in dire need
    > of improvement. I'd appreciate suggestions on books that will teach
    > these things "properly" and not leave me ripping my hair out at 2AM.
    >
    > 1). RDBMS and how it relates to website DB's. I've take a course on
    > this and have a basic concept for normalizing data but I don't know how
    > to use and call on that data on a website. For example, I don't know
    > call on field that in table is a number that uniquely relates to
    > another field in another table and produce the "name" not the "ID". I
    > suspect that this is done with JOIN's but these get confusing and I
    > need to understand them BEFORE I design my next database, not AFTER
    > when it's too late. Not knowing forces me to ignore normalization in
    > favor of what I know how to do on the front end.

    Head on over to http://w3schools.com/sql/default.asp . They do a good job
    of explaining, and it's also a good resource in case you forget syntax (I
    always seem to forget SELECT INTO syntax)

    > 2). SQL syntax for Access (can't get to SQL server, no money right
    > now). I waste countless hours trying to get SQL strings to work either
    > due to syntax or delimter problems, etc. I suspect again that
    > understanding Queries (stored proc's when I can get hands on SQL
    > server) and the Parameters collection is the right direction. I have
    > Wrox's ASP 3.0 but I need a more in- depth explanation.

    Do yourself a favor and get WinSQL
    <http://www.synametrics.com/SynametricsWebApp/WinSQL.jsp>, similar to SQL
    Query Analyzer, and will handle Access as well as other databases,
    including MySQL and text.

    > 3). JavaScript client side or something else? I'm having validation
    > issues on the client side and don't know how for to go into JS. I
    > don't have a lot of time being a career changer and while I know I'll
    > have to learn it sooner or later I need to know "how much is too much"
    > at this point.

    You don't have to get too involved with javascript, because it IS client
    side, and should only be used as an enhancement, not a means to an end.

    What I would do, if you haven't already, is make the switch to semantic
    markup, and leave the presentation to CSS. Use a Strict Document type and
    validate your documents <http://validator.w3.org>. Why? You'll find that
    removing presenational markup makes your job quicker, easier to debug,
    loads faster and smarter for the client, and is friendlier to search
    engines and other Internet devices.

    > 4). Should I learn more intensive VBScript "now" or learn it as I go?

    I would try to pick up a bit of PHP as well. You will find a lot of
    clients who want PHP (because that's what the host offers, because that's
    what they already have, because they are afraid of/don't like Microsoft).

    > 5). At what point should I move into other technologies such as XML?
    > What's hot? What's not?

    Go to W3 schools <http://www.w3schools.com> and the W3 <http://www.w3.org>
    to see what's going on. Alistapart <http://www.alistapart.com> also has
    excellent articles on newer technologies.

    > Thanks to all!

    HTH

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, Feb 22, 2005

  3. John

    Hal Rosser Guest

    2 good sources - the first one has already been mentioned :
    www.w3schools.com

    and

    http://devguru.com

    both are extremely good at most of the (HOT) technology .

    by the time you learn ASP, MS will have dropped support for it in favor of
    ASP.NET.
    I suggest throwing Java in the mix, too.
    Hal Rosser, Feb 23, 2005
  4. Hal Rosser wrote:

    > by the time you learn ASP, MS will have dropped support for it in
    > favor of ASP.NET.

    Where have you heard this? I have heard of no plans for dropping support of
    ASP. It's certainly not on any "deprecated technology" list I've seen. Do
    you have a citation where this is stated officially? If so I would be very
    interested in reading it.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Feb 23, 2005
  5. John

    Roland Hall Guest

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    : >
    :
    : Where have you heard this? I have heard of no plans for dropping support
    of
    : ASP. It's certainly not on any "deprecated technology" list I've seen. Do
    : you have a citation where this is stated officially? If so I would be very
    : interested in reading it.

    In all fairness, Bob, depending on his learning abilities, he may be right.
    (O:=

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Roland Hall, Feb 23, 2005
  6. John

    John Guest

    wow, everywhere I go somehow I start something....

    if asp classic isn't deprecated in 6 months then I think I'll be fine ;-P
    As for .Net how different is it?

    My learning abilities are fine thanks ;-/

    John, Feb 23, 2005
  7. Roland Hall wrote:
    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> Hal Rosser wrote:
    >>>
    >>> by the time you learn ASP, MS will have dropped support for it in
    >>> favor of ASP.NET.

    >> Where have you heard this? I have heard of no plans for dropping
    >> support of ASP. It's certainly not on any "deprecated technology"
    >> list I've seen. Do you have a citation where this is stated
    >> officially? If so I would be very interested in reading it.

    > In all fairness, Bob, depending on his learning abilities, he may be
    > right. (O:=

    :)
    I realize you are making a joke, but the "fairness" word makes me realize
    that my request for information may have been interpreted as an attack.
    Sorry Hal. I should have worded it better. I wasn't attacking, I simply
    wished to know your source of information.

    Bob

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Feb 23, 2005
  8. John

    Hal Rosser Guest

    ==== unca Bob Replied ===
    > >> Where have you heard this? I have heard of no plans for dropping
    > >> support of ASP. It's certainly not on any "deprecated technology"

    ==================
    and my current response:
    You may be right. I should not use historical events to predict the future.
    My statement was pure speculation - and not based on any privileged
    information..
    My apologies to the believers.
    === ;-)
    Hal Rosser, Feb 24, 2005
  9. John

    Roland Hall Guest

    "John" wrote in message news:Nh8Td.37439$...
    : wow, everywhere I go somehow I start something....
    :
    : if asp classic isn't deprecated in 6 months then I think I'll be fine ;-P
    : As for .Net how different is it?
    :
    : My learning abilities are fine thanks ;-/

    Just havin' fun John...looks like you're aware. (O:=

    Roland Hall, Feb 24, 2005