Newbie needs help coding a simple shell

J Peterman

I have to program a "simple shell". It will accept input from a command
line parser that has been provided. I gotta do all sorts of funky stuff
I know very little about.

Can anyone tell me where I can find some code to look at, or a good
reference to get started? I tried searching google, but I can't seem to
find an example...

Martijn

J said:
I have to program a "simple shell". It will accept input from a
command line parser that has been provided. I gotta do all sorts of
funky stuff I know very little about.

Can anyone tell me where I can find some code to look at, or a good
reference to get started? I tried searching google, but I can't seem
to find an example...

Have you actually made a design of this shell, so you know where to start?
The question in it's current form is a) too generic, b) too off topic.

But Linux is open source, and it has tons of shells available, probably a
bunch of proprietary as well, which could be simple. Most if not all are
open source.

Good luck,

Richard Heathfield

J said:
I have to program a "simple shell". It will accept input from a command
line parser that has been provided. I gotta do all sorts of funky stuff
I know very little about.

Can anyone tell me where I can find some code to look at, or a good
reference to get started? I tried searching google, but I can't seem to
find an example...

I posted example ISO C source for a (very) simple shell in comp.programming
on 8th January of this year.