Newbie needs help getting ODBC on ISP setup

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Lee Falataco, May 4, 2004.

  1. Lee Falataco

    Lee Falataco Guest

    My first ASP site and having a horrible time getting this figured out.
    ASP pages work great locally but when I upload to Earthlink hosting,
    I get the error "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error
    '80004005' [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found
    and no default driver specified".

    I've used DWMX to set up ODBC c1onnection and am using the following
    include file (ConnCal.asp):
    <%
    ' FileName="Connection_ado_conn_string.htm"
    ' Type="ADO"
    ' DesigntimeType="ADO"
    ' HTTP="false"
    ' Catalog=""
    ' Schema=""
    Dim MM_connCal_STRING
    MM_connCal_STRING = "dsn=connCal"
    %>

    I get the "Data Source error" error on line 9 of my ASP pages which
    all start as follows:
    1 <%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
    2 <!--#include file="../Connections/connCal.asp" -->
    3 <%
    4 Dim rs_cal
    5 Dim rs_cal_numRows
    6 Dim xtime,striptm,finaltime
    7
    8 Set rs_cal = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    9 rs_cal.ActiveConnection = MM_connCal_STRING 'THIS THE LINE THAT
    ERRORS'
    10 rs_cal.Source = "SELECT * FROM events WHERE start_date >= DATE()
    AND
    11 evt_attend <> 'Private' ORDER BY start_date, start_time"
    12 rs_cal.CursorType = 0
    13 rs_cal.CursorLocation = 2
    14 rs_cal.LockType = 1
    15 rs_cal.Open()
    16
    17 rs_cal_numRows = 0
    18 %>

    etc....

    I've set up the ODBC on Earthlink's site as:
    DSN=connCal and DataSource = '\data\noefc.mdb'

    Earthlink's site says "When referring to your DSN in your
    applications, you will need use the format UserID.DSN Name where
    UserID is your Control Panel User ID." How does "UserID.DSN" fit in
    to what I've already set up as "DSN=ConnCal"? Is it
    "DSN=ConnCal.DSN"? That doesn't work.

    I don't get it and Earthlink keeps emailing me the *SAME!* prescripted
    response -- "What is a DSN connection?"

    ARRGH!! Can anyone explain this to me? Please speak VEEERY SLOWLY!
    I'm just learning this stuff.

    Thx!
    Lisa
    Lee Falataco, May 4, 2004

  2. Lee Falataco

    Steven Burn Guest

    You've not specified a driver to use.....

    www.connectionstrings.com

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, May 4, 2004

  3. Lee Falataco

    Lee Falataco Guest

    OK, I have it set up as follows:
    <%
    ' FileName="Connection_ado_conn_string.htm"
    ' Type="ADO"
    ' DesigntimeType="ADO"
    ' HTTP="true"
    ' Catalog=""
    ' Schema=""
    Dim MM_connCal_STRING
    MM_connCal_STRING = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver
    (*.mdb)};DBQ=d:\webs\noefci\noefc.mdb"
    %>

    (I got the DBQ string by doing Server.MapPath on my ISP)

    Now I get this error:
    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
    registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x65cc Thread
    0x66ec DBC 0x3201e94 Jet'.

    Once again, Earthlink's support sends me to Google to get info on the
    message. I have been working on this for over a week and need
    specific help! I appreciate any leads anyone can give.

    Thx!!

    Lee Falataco, May 4, 2004
  4. Lee Falataco

    Steven Burn Guest