newbie needs some xhtml & xml parser help

Discussion in 'XML' started by zcrow, Jun 12, 2005.

  1. zcrow

    zcrow Guest

    I have a client that is moving their site from an apache one to an IIS
    and I am going to convert existing jsp & php files to asp. I've come
    across a problem that I was not expecting to have to deal with and
    don't know where to even start. I've never used xml before.

    Currently, there is a php page that inserts content from an external
    file (different server) using php's fopen and fpassthru functions, for
    which there is no equivalent that I know of in asp.

    The web coordinator suggested this to me: "The research database pushes
    standard xhtml snippets out when a request is made. What the snippets
    contain depend on the GET variables. One method may be to use the
    snippet as an XML file. The snippet is a valid XHTML file so you should
    be able to use an XML parser if need be."

    As I mentioned, I've never worked with xml before, so I don't know
    where to start. Basically I need to get the contents of this file
    (actually it could be one of 6 files depending on how the data is
    sorted) which is on an external server:
    http://communications.uvic.ca/research/plug-ins/topictree.php

    And then I need to take the contents and have it displayed on a new
    page (probably asp) in the right spot, using a local style sheet for
    styling.

    Please, remember I'm an idiot when it comes to this. Please keep

    zcrow, Jun 12, 2005