Newbie! Never ending Webpage!

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Craven Birds, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    Hi,

    I'm a complete novice, bear with me.

    I have a problem with my personal WebPages. You can scroll for ever more
    down the page :-(

    Is there any code that I can use either in the HTMl document or CSS to stop
    this going beyond the info on the page?

    http://www.craven-birds.co.uk/

    TIA
    --

    Regards,
    Chris,

    Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
    http://www.craven-birds.co.uk/
    anti-virus system.

    Craven Birds, Aug 1, 2004

  2. Craven Birds

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 23:37:13 +0100, Craven Birds
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > I have a problem with my personal WebPages. You can scroll for ever more
    > down the page :-(
    >
    > http://www.craven-birds.co.uk/

    It's your annoying menu - stop it from following me down the page. When
    the menu is longer than the screen height, once it gets to where you are
    putting it, it increases the page length. Put it on the page properly -
    at the moment (besides it being annoying), it obscures half the page.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 23:37:13 +0100, Craven Birds
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > I have a problem with my personal WebPages. You can scroll for ever more
    > > down the page :-(
    > >
    > > http://www.craven-birds.co.uk/

    > It's your annoying menu - stop it from following me down the page. When
    > the menu is longer than the screen height, once it gets to where you are
    > putting it, it increases the page length. Put it on the page properly -
    > at the moment (besides it being annoying), it obscures half the page.

    LoL. I screwed my CSS up! Trying to figure it out. Webpage OK now, I think!

    I think, the problem is the Auto- Scroll in the right bottom corner! I'll
    get rid.

    Craven Birds, Aug 1, 2004
  4. Craven Birds

    rf Guest

    Craven Birdsberlin.de...

    > LoL. I screwed my CSS up! Trying to figure it out. Webpage OK now, I

    think!

    > I think, the problem is the Auto- Scroll in the right bottom corner!

    No it's not. It's the menu.

    > I'll
    > get rid.

    Won't make any difference. It's the menu that is causing the problem.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
    > Craven Birdsberlin.de...
    >
    > > LoL. I screwed my CSS up! Trying to figure it out. Webpage OK now, I

    > think!
    > >
    > > I think, the problem is the Auto- Scroll in the right bottom corner!

    > No it's not. It's the menu.
    >
    > > I'll
    > > get rid.

    > Won't make any difference. It's the menu that is causing the problem.

    Any ideas then? I'm nearly there. But! Is there a way to stop it?

    Craven Birds, Aug 2, 2004
  6. Craven Birds

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "Craven Birds" <> wrote in

    > I have a problem with my personal WebPages. You can scroll for ever
    > more down the page :-(

    Somebody else already gave a helpful answer; I'm here to criticize.

    > http://www.craven-birds.co.uk/

    << ALL >> of the javascript on your page is superfluous. Nobody needs
    little links that make the page scroll at a speed which is usually not
    their reading speed. Nobody wants to wait for your javascript marquee to
    scroll over at a speed of one meter per century in order to discover
    _any_ sort of information. Nobody is going to have a need to impulsively
    click menu buttons in the middle of the page without scrolling back up to
    the top, and it just gets annoying when you have to wait for the menu to
    catch up every time you scroll. You can just leave that at the top.

    I LOVE <3 <3 <3 <3 your choice of colors and the background image is
    EXCELLENT (in that it doesn't intrude upon reading, and that it adds to
    the page's visual appeal).

    And the following is a minor snipe:
    I don't like your icons that brag about your valid HTML and CSS.
    While it's nice to have valid HTML and CSS, bragging about it or
    trying to get others to use it is akin to a newspaper having little
    notices on its front page bragging about its perfect grammar and
    that the reader should write with perfect grammar all the time, too.
    Remember that 99.9 +/- 80 percent of your visitors are NOT going to
    be interested in the code behind your page, and that directing them
    to this HTML Validation service isn't going to give them anything
    they want or need.

    Sam Hughes, Aug 2, 2004
  7. Craven Birds

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 01:30:19 +0100, Craven Birds
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Any ideas then? I'm nearly there. But! Is there a way to stop it?

    Yes. Get rid of the annoying Javascript that makes the menu follow me
    down the page.

    Mark Parnell, Aug 2, 2004
  8. Craven Birds

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:18:16 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> declared in alt.html:

    > Won't make any difference. It's the menu that is causing the problem.

    At least it doesn't cover the content any more.

    Mark Parnell, Aug 2, 2004
  9. Craven Birds

    rf Guest

    Craven Birds wrote:

    > "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message

    > > Won't make any difference. It's the menu that is causing the problem.

    > Any ideas then? I'm nearly there. But! Is there a way to stop it?

    Yes, as others have said stop moving the menu. If you *must* move the menu
    then amend your javascript so that it does not move if the bottom of said
    menu is already below the bottom of the viewport (something that is Very
    Hard to do reliably).

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 2, 2004
  10. Craven Birds

    rf Guest

    Mark Parnell
    > On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:18:16 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > Won't make any difference. It's the menu that is causing the problem.

    > At least it doesn't cover the content any more.

    I was wondering about that, didn't for me. Obviously the OP had fixed it
    before I got up this morning :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 2, 2004
  11. Craven Birds

    rf Guest

    rf wrote:
    > Craven Birds wrote:

    > > Any ideas then? I'm nearly there. But! Is there a way to stop it?

    > If you *must* move the menu
    > then amend your javascript so that it does not move if the bottom of said
    > menu is already below the bottom of the viewport (something that is Very
    > Hard to do reliably).

    Which raises another problem. If the bottom of the menu *is* below the
    bottom of the canvas then it is impossible to get to the links that are
    below the canvas.

    I also suggest you make your font larger (say larger or largest in IE). The
    menu wraps. Badly.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 2, 2004
  12. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    "Sam Hughes" <> wrote in message
    > "Craven Birds" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I have a problem with my personal WebPages. You can scroll for ever
    > > more down the page :-(

    > Somebody else already gave a helpful answer; I'm here to criticize.
    >
    > > http://www.craven-birds.co.uk/

    > << ALL >> of the javascript on your page is superfluous. Nobody needs
    > little links that make the page scroll at a speed which is usually not
    > their reading speed. Nobody wants to wait for your javascript marquee to
    > scroll over at a speed of one meter per century in order to discover
    > _any_ sort of information. Nobody is going to have a need to impulsively
    > click menu buttons in the middle of the page without scrolling back up to
    > the top, and it just gets annoying when you have to wait for the menu to
    > catch up every time you scroll. You can just leave that at the top.
    >
    > I LOVE <3 <3 <3 <3 your choice of colors and the background image is
    > EXCELLENT (in that it doesn't intrude upon reading, and that it adds to
    > the page's visual appeal).
    >
    > And the following is a minor snipe:
    > I don't like your icons that brag about your valid HTML and CSS.
    > While it's nice to have valid HTML and CSS, bragging about it or
    > trying to get others to use it is akin to a newspaper having little
    > notices on its front page bragging about its perfect grammar and
    > that the reader should write with perfect grammar all the time, too.
    > Remember that 99.9 +/- 80 percent of your visitors are NOT going to
    > be interested in the code behind your page, and that directing them
    > to this HTML Validation service isn't going to give them anything
    > they want or need.

    I wish I 'aint asked! The webpage is only for people interested in
    Ornithology! And they won't notice the fault.

    So, therefore, I won't bother asking questions again from Geek Freeks:-(

    Sorry to bother you!

    Craven Birds, Aug 2, 2004
  13. Craven Birds

    > rf wrote:
    > > Craven Birds wrote:

    > > > Any ideas then? I'm nearly there. But! Is there a way to stop it?

    > > If you *must* move the menu
    > > then amend your javascript so that it does not move if the bottom of

    said
    > > menu is already below the bottom of the viewport (something that is Very
    > > Hard to do reliably).

    As I said a Newbie! So don't know what you are talking about!

    > Which raises another problem. If the bottom of the menu *is* below the
    > bottom of the canvas then it is impossible to get to the links that are
    > below the canvas.

    Canvas? Lost!

    > I also suggest you make your font larger (say larger or largest in IE).

    The
    > menu wraps. Badly.

    No, it does not in IE, Opera and Netscape on my comp.! Used for testing.

    A question from a novice seems to get flamed here on this NG:-(

    Craven Birds, Aug 2, 2004
  14. Craven Birds

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "Craven Birds" <> wrote in

    > "Sam Hughes" <> wrote in message
    >> "Craven Birds" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I have a problem with my personal WebPages. You can scroll for ever
    >> > more down the page :-(

    >> Somebody else already gave a helpful answer; I'm here to criticize.
    >>
    >> > http://www.craven-birds.co.uk/

    >> [...]

    > I wish I 'aint asked! The webpage is only for people interested in
    > Ornithology! And they won't notice the fault.
    >
    > So, therefore, I won't bother asking questions again from Geek
    > Freeks:-(
    >
    > Sorry to bother you!

    Wha? I AM interested in ornithology.

    And what fault won't they notice? The annoyingness of a marquee? The
    distracting menu? The rest of my nitpicks aren't exactly "faults,"
    although they are superfluous.

    Somebody seems to take things personally :/

    Sam Hughes, Aug 2, 2004
  15. Craven Birds

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "Craven Birds" <> wrote in

    > "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >> I also suggest you make your font larger (say larger or largest in
    >> IE).
    >> The
    >> menu wraps. Badly.

    > No, it does not in IE, Opera and Netscape on my comp.! Used for
    > testing.

    Just because something works on your computer means it will work
    everywhere?

    > A question from a novice seems to get flamed here on this NG:-(

    You have a very peculiar definition of "flaming." This was honest
    criticism, and very light criticism, too.

    Rf et al seemed to be very friendly...

    Sam Hughes, Aug 2, 2004
  16. Craven Birds

    rf Guest

    Craven Birds wrote:

    > "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    > > Which raises another problem. If the bottom of the menu *is* below the
    > > bottom of the canvas then it is impossible to get to the links that are
    > > below the canvas.

    > Canvas? Lost!

    The client area of the browsers window. The bit your page gets displayed on.
    If the bottom of the menu is below that I can't click on it. See the
    screenshots below.

    > > I also suggest you make your font larger (say larger or largest in IE).

    > The
    > > menu wraps. Badly.

    > No, it does not in IE, Opera and Netscape on my comp.! Used for testing.

    Sorry but the standard excuse is invaribly: "it works on my computer" :)

    Well, here is how it looks on mine:

    http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/craven.ie.jpg
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/craven.mozilla.jpg

    > A question from a novice seems to get flamed here on this NG:-(

    I see no flaming hapenning here :)

    I see some comments being passed on a web page. Most of them are valid
    comments. Sometimes presented a little harshly but still valid.

    We have seen just about everything here. One of the things that is
    invariably bad is stuff moving around all over the place (including
    marquees). Also, invariably, when that is stopped the site becomes better
    for it.

    I also see no personal insult. All comments are directed straight at the web
    site. Sit back, get a cup of tea, and read the thread again. Most of are
    here to help. There is no "fun" in flaming a newbie. There is fun in causing
    a page to be fixed so it works better.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 2, 2004
  17. Craven Birds

    rf Guest

    Sam Hughes wrote

    > Rf et al seemed to be very friendly...

    Methings the OP has not seen a *real* flame yet :)

    Now, lets wait for somebody to advocate the use of frames...

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 2, 2004
  18. Craven Birds

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Nico Schuyt, Aug 2, 2004
  19. Craven Birds

    Arondelle Guest

    Craven Birds wrote:

    > A question from a novice seems to get flamed here on this NG:-(

    All newbies get "flamed" on this newsgroup; why should you be any
    different? After all, this is a newsgroup for experts to discuss what
    great experts they are, and not to answer the questions of beginners. }:->

    So, stop being so defensive, and take a look at their suggestions before
    going off all in a huff.

    And, while you're looking at things, take a look at:

    http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/

    for a short course on good webpage design (which, by the way, has
    nothing to do with fancy coding and tricky javascript, and everything to
    do with presentation and readability).

    Arondelle
    To email me, empty the pond with a net

    Arondelle, Aug 2, 2004
  20. Craven Birds

    rf Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote

    > http://www.quirksmode.org/js/fixedmenu.html

    This one exhibits the same problem the OP has, that of an infinitely long
    page.

    Resize your canvas so the menu flows out the bottom and scroll down...

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 2, 2004