Newbie! Never ending Webpage!

Craven Birds

Hi,

I'm a complete novice, bear with me.

I have a problem with my personal WebPages. You can scroll for ever more
down the page :-(

Is there any code that I can use either in the HTMl document or CSS to stop
this going beyond the info on the page?

http://www.craven-birds.co.uk/

TIA
--

Regards,
Chris,

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://www.craven-birds.co.uk/
anti-virus system.

Mark Parnell

I have a problem with my personal WebPages. You can scroll for ever more
down the page :-(

http://www.craven-birds.co.uk/

It's your annoying menu - stop it from following me down the page. When
the menu is longer than the screen height, once it gets to where you are
putting it, it increases the page length. Put it on the page properly -
at the moment (besides it being annoying), it obscures half the page.

Craven Birds

Mark Parnell said:
It's your annoying menu - stop it from following me down the page. When
the menu is longer than the screen height, once it gets to where you are
putting it, it increases the page length. Put it on the page properly -
at the moment (besides it being annoying), it obscures half the page.

LoL. I screwed my CSS up! Trying to figure it out. Webpage OK now, I think!

I think, the problem is the Auto- Scroll in the right bottom corner! I'll
get rid.

Regards,
Chris,

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://www.craven-birds.co.uk/
anti-virus system.

rf

Craven Birdsberlin.de...
LoL. I screwed my CSS up! Trying to figure it out. Webpage OK now, I think!

I think, the problem is the Auto- Scroll in the right bottom corner!

No it's not. It's the menu.
I'll
get rid.

Won't make any difference. It's the menu that is causing the problem.

Craven Birds

rf said:
Craven Birdsberlin.de...

No it's not. It's the menu.

Won't make any difference. It's the menu that is causing the problem.

Any ideas then? I'm nearly there. But! Is there a way to stop it?
--

Regards,
Chris,

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://www.craven-birds.co.uk/
anti-virus system.

Sam Hughes

I have a problem with my personal WebPages. You can scroll for ever
more down the page :-(

Somebody else already gave a helpful answer; I'm here to criticize.

<< ALL >> of the javascript on your page is superfluous. Nobody needs
little links that make the page scroll at a speed which is usually not
their reading speed. Nobody wants to wait for your javascript marquee to
scroll over at a speed of one meter per century in order to discover
_any_ sort of information. Nobody is going to have a need to impulsively
click menu buttons in the middle of the page without scrolling back up to
the top, and it just gets annoying when you have to wait for the menu to
catch up every time you scroll. You can just leave that at the top.

I LOVE <3 <3 <3 <3 your choice of colors and the background image is
EXCELLENT (in that it doesn't intrude upon reading, and that it adds to
the page's visual appeal).

And the following is a minor snipe:
I don't like your icons that brag about your valid HTML and CSS.
While it's nice to have valid HTML and CSS, bragging about it or
trying to get others to use it is akin to a newspaper having little
notices on its front page bragging about its perfect grammar and
that the reader should write with perfect grammar all the time, too.
Remember that 99.9 +/- 80 percent of your visitors are NOT going to
be interested in the code behind your page, and that directing them
to this HTML Validation service isn't going to give them anything
they want or need.

Mark Parnell

Any ideas then? I'm nearly there. But! Is there a way to stop it?

Yes. Get rid of the annoying Javascript that makes the menu follow me
down the page.

rf

Craven said:
Any ideas then? I'm nearly there. But! Is there a way to stop it?

Yes, as others have said stop moving the menu. If you *must* move the menu
then amend your javascript so that it does not move if the bottom of said
menu is already below the bottom of the viewport (something that is Very
Hard to do reliably).

rf

Mark Parnell
At least it doesn't cover the content any more.

I was wondering about that, didn't for me. Obviously the OP had fixed it
before I got up this morning :)

rf

rf said:
Craven Birds wrote:

If you *must* move the menu
then amend your javascript so that it does not move if the bottom of said
menu is already below the bottom of the viewport (something that is Very
Hard to do reliably).

Which raises another problem. If the bottom of the menu *is* below the
bottom of the canvas then it is impossible to get to the links that are
below the canvas.

I also suggest you make your font larger (say larger or largest in IE). The
menu wraps. Badly.

Craven Birds

Sam Hughes said:
[...]

I wish I 'aint asked! The webpage is only for people interested in
Ornithology! And they won't notice the fault.

So, therefore, I won't bother asking questions again from Geek Freeks:-(

Sorry to bother you!
--

Regards,
Chris,

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://www.craven-birds.co.uk/
anti-virus system.

Craven Birds

As I said a Newbie! So don't know what you are talking about!
Which raises another problem. If the bottom of the menu *is* below the
bottom of the canvas then it is impossible to get to the links that are
below the canvas.

Canvas? Lost!
I also suggest you make your font larger (say larger or largest in IE). The
menu wraps. Badly.

No, it does not in IE, Opera and Netscape on my comp.! Used for testing.

A question from a novice seems to get flamed here on this NG:-(

Sam Hughes said:
I have a problem with my personal WebPages. You can scroll for ever
more down the page :-(

Somebody else already gave a helpful answer; I'm here to criticize.

[...]

I wish I 'aint asked! The webpage is only for people interested in
Ornithology! And they won't notice the fault.

So, therefore, I won't bother asking questions again from Geek
Freeks:-(

Sorry to bother you!

Wha? I AM interested in ornithology.

And what fault won't they notice? The annoyingness of a marquee? The
distracting menu? The rest of my nitpicks aren't exactly "faults,"
although they are superfluous.

Somebody seems to take things personally :/

Sam Hughes

No, it does not in IE, Opera and Netscape on my comp.! Used for
testing.

Just because something works on your computer means it will work
everywhere?
A question from a novice seems to get flamed here on this NG:-(

You have a very peculiar definition of "flaming." This was honest
criticism, and very light criticism, too.

Rf et al seemed to be very friendly...

rf

Craven said:
Canvas? Lost!

The client area of the browsers window. The bit your page gets displayed on.
If the bottom of the menu is below that I can't click on it. See the
screenshots below.
No, it does not in IE, Opera and Netscape on my comp.! Used for testing.

Sorry but the standard excuse is invaribly: "it works on my computer" :)

Well, here is how it looks on mine:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/craven.ie.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/craven.mozilla.jpg
A question from a novice seems to get flamed here on this NG:-(

I see no flaming hapenning here :)

I see some comments being passed on a web page. Most of them are valid
comments. Sometimes presented a little harshly but still valid.

We have seen just about everything here. One of the things that is
invariably bad is stuff moving around all over the place (including
marquees). Also, invariably, when that is stopped the site becomes better
for it.

I also see no personal insult. All comments are directed straight at the web
site. Sit back, get a cup of tea, and read the thread again. Most of are
here to help. There is no "fun" in flaming a newbie. There is fun in causing
a page to be fixed so it works better.

rf

Sam Hughes wrote
Rf et al seemed to be very friendly...

Methings the OP has not seen a *real* flame yet :)

Now, lets wait for somebody to advocate the use of frames...

Arondelle

Craven said:
A question from a novice seems to get flamed here on this NG:-(

All newbies get "flamed" on this newsgroup; why should you be any
different? After all, this is a newsgroup for experts to discuss what
great experts they are, and not to answer the questions of beginners. }:->

So, stop being so defensive, and take a look at their suggestions before
going off all in a huff.

And, while you're looking at things, take a look at:

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/

for a short course on good webpage design (which, by the way, has
nothing to do with fancy coding and tricky javascript, and everything to
do with presentation and readability).

Arondelle