    stdwin.open ('my window')

    and i have ImportError: No module named stdwin

    Did i must install some package?? please help me
    K, Jul 9, 2003

  2. On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:20:47 +0200,
    > When i wanna open a window (like windows) i write
    >
    > inport stdwin
    > stdwin.open ('my window')

    Stdwin is very old and very dead; what document are you reading that
    suggests using it? Most GUI development in Python is done using Tkinter,
    though there's also wxWindows, PyQt, and Gtk+ interfaces available. If you
    downloaded a binary Windows installer from somewhere, it probably
    includes Tkinter; the other interfaces would be add-on packages.

    --amk
    A.M. Kuchling, Jul 9, 2003

  3. K

    Hans Nowak Guest

    K wrote:
    > hello
    >
    > All time all write programm's in Visual Basic but now i'm very excited and
    > learn a Python so install 2.2.3 version...
    >
    > When i wanna open a window (like windows) i write
    >
    > inport stdwin
    > stdwin.open ('my window')
    >
    > and i have ImportError: No module named stdwin
    >
    > Did i must install some package?? please help me

    The stdwin package has been phased out long ago. There are other, better GUIs
    that can be used with Python. It comes with Tkinter, but it's easy to install
    a third-party package like wxPython (etc).
    Hans Nowak, Jul 9, 2003
  4. K

    Alan Gauld Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:20:47 +0200, "K" <> wrote:

    > inport stdwin
    > stdwin.open ('my window')
    >
    > and i have ImportError: No module named stdwin

    Stdwin is obsolete. For a very brief intro to Tkinter and
    wxPython visit my tutorial and look at the GUI topic (in the
    "Advanced" section). Then visit one of the more comprehensive
    tutorials linked from the Tkinter section of the Python web site.

    But if you are still just learning Python you might be better
    keeping clear of GUIs till a little later. They are just one
    more complication...

    Alan G.
    http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/
    Alan Gauld, Jul 9, 2003
  5. K

    Alan Gauld Guest

    Re: Odp: Newbie - No module named stdwin

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:07:18 +0200, "K" <> wrote:

    > > includes Tkinter; the other interfaces would be add-on packages.
    > >
    > > --amk

    > ok thanks so how command can open a window ?

    See my previous post, however usually in Python you don't need to
    open a window, unless you are writing a full GUI program. So
    maybe we need to ask what it is you are doing that requires that
    you "open a window"?

    To get user input use raw_input() function
    To present info(error messages and results etc)
    to the user use print statements.

    If you want to draw graphics then OK maybe you do
    need a window, but maybe the turtle package would do?

    While programming GUI style is quite possible in Python, its
    usually best to master the basics first!

    Alan g.
    Alan Gauld, Jul 9, 2003
  6. K

    K Guest

    Odp: Newbie - No module named stdwin

    but in visual basic 6 i have graphical Interface - in Python only text based
    is that correct ?
    K, Jul 10, 2003
  7. Re: Odp: Newbie - No module named stdwin

    "K" <> wrote in news:bejf32$3on$:

    > but in visual basic 6 i have graphical Interface - in Python only text
    > based is that correct ?

    Yes and no... Python only has a text interface, but can access "windowing
    toolkits" to allow you to make graphical interfaces.

    A lot of languages are like this, e.g. C++, but some have a built-in
    windowing toolkit, e.g. Java.

    Visual Basic also has its own built-in toolkit - so much so that it is
    all you can use, and it is easy to use - which is why it is so popular.

    So... yes strictly speaking Python only has a text interface, but that's
    not the whole story because you can create graphical interfaces with a
    toolkit that usually comes with Python, and it's a very common and
    standard thing to do.

    However, it requires a different style of programming, which is why the
    with Python.

    http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/hello-
    tkinter.htm#AEN50

    Is a link to the most simple "Hello World" application with the toolkit
    "Tkinter".

    Cheers,
    Simon.
    Simon Bayling, Jul 10, 2003
  8. K

    Stephen Ferg Guest

    Stephen Ferg, Jul 10, 2003
  9. Re: Odp: Newbie - No module named stdwin

    K wrote:
    > but in visual basic 6 i have graphical Interface - in Python only
    > text based is that correct ?

    If you're looking for a simple graphical interface, try pythoncard:
    http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/

    TTFN
    W Isaac Carroll, Jul 11, 2003