Newbie: OOP reference

Larry Lindsey

Howdy folks,
Does anyone know of a decent c++ OOP reference? Basically I want to know
how to set things like how to set constructors/destructors and defining
private/public access to variables and the like. Thanks,

--Larry

White Wolf

Larry said:
Howdy folks,
Does anyone know of a decent c++ OOP reference? Basically I want to
know how to set things like how to set constructors/destructors and
defining private/public access to variables and the like. Thanks,

You seem to need a beginners book for C++. Look at the book reviews at
http://www.accu.org

Kevin Goodsell

Larry said:
The point: I do not need something as complicated as a book. Thanks for
reposting the link, though.

You are familiar with C and Java, and you think you only need to look at
example code...

Trust me. You need a book. Possibly more so because of your familiarity
with C and Java. C++ is a completely different language. Any attempt to
use it as C (or Java) with different syntax will lead to serious problems.

-Kevin

White Wolf

Kevin Goodsell wrote:
[SNIP]
You are familiar with C and Java, and you think you only need to look
at example code...

Trust me. You need a book. Possibly more so because of your
familiarity with C and Java. C++ is a completely different language.
Any attempt to use it as C (or Java) with different syntax will lead
to serious problems.

Thanks guys! I had the same thoughts when I have suggested getting a good
book. Learning OOD (on architectural level) is one thing. Learning how to
do OOD on the implementation level in C++ is a pretty different thing.
Especially because in C++ one usually will go for a multi-paradigm design,
where OO is mixed with generic programming, data hiding and so forth.