newbie - page load not firing

Steve

Using asp.net 2.0. I have a page confirm.aspx:

**********************************
<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false"
CodeFile="confirm.aspx.vb" Inherits="confirm" %>

<head runat="server">
<title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
&nbsp;</div>
</form>

This is my page behind page (confirm.aspx.vb):

Partial Class confirm
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
Sub Page_Load(ByVal s As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
Response.Write("hello")
End Sub
End Class

When I confirm.aspx loads in the browser nothing happens. i.e. a blank
page is returned. Shouldn't "hello" be displayed? What am I doing
wrong?

Jevon

Change AutoEventWireup="false" to AutoEventWireup="true" and it should work.
If you're a newbie to .Net from classic asp, note that response.write will
output before all the other content. - i.e. before "<!DOCTYPE......". But
you'll see that when you run it :)

Jevon

Steve

Thank you so much for that. I spent more than 2 needless hours this
morning getting frustrated over this. Thank you so much.

So does that mean the Page_Load event can never be captured if the
AutoEventWireup is set to false, or is there a way for the
AutoEventWireup to be set to false and for the Page_Load event to still
be captured?

Guest

Yes, manually hook up the handler method with the event:

Sub Page_Load (..., ...) Handles MyBase.Load
End Sub

(OR)

' Have the following line in any method/event handler that runs before page
load event.
AddHandler Me.Load, AddressOf Page_Load